Jimi na Kensei wa Sore Demo Saikyou Desu - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Group Leader
Updated, I accidentally uploaded an old version of one of the pages (12, by MD's counting), so the corrected version is now up.

@TheGoodFella They started the translation before the other group posted it and they are not going to just start skipping chapters because someone else threw a translation together.

should I drop it, or that girl dies in the next chapters, or stop being unbearable maybe?

@Saddestpanda What about the other 3 chapters? Granted, the first one was horrible but the edited one was readable, the 2 and 3 were okay too, and yet they re-did them again instead of starting from chapter 4. We could be reading chapter 9 by now.

In order to raise his step daughter, MC will take every shit this selfish princess gives. Boredom will haunt her, MC is immortal, OP and pretty calm.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you. Your translations is the most easy to read and it help understand the details

Group Leader
@Wolvenworks We originally went with "Spade", because in the raw, the family name is "Sopedo", and even though "Spade" is normally "Supedo" (Su, not So), we noticed that the four great houses have the four card suits as their flags, so... we figured that the author had just made a slight mistake, and we went with "Spade".

Unfortunately, we read ahead a bit, and realized that the next family (with the clubs flag) has a name that isn't remotely similar to "clubs". At that point, it became clear that the name wasn't actually meant to translate to "Spade", and so we went with a more traditional approach of "westernize the katakana name" like you normally would.

Names written in katakana are meant to be Japanese encodings of western names, and figuring out what the "original" western name was meant to be can be a bit of a nightmare.

To ensure we're consistent throughout the whole series, we've gone and updated the previous chapters that referenced the family name.

Group Leader
@_wret We wanted to provide a consistent translation/level of quality for the entire series. The translation of the first chapter was, as far as I can tell, a Japanese->Spanish->English double-MTL. Even though we've slowed down from our initial chapter-a-day burst, we're going at a much faster pace than the series is being released in Japan. As such, it won't be long before we catch up, at which point it won't matter where we started.

@Guspaz Nice catch on the house names. As a reader I get pretty annoyed when the original author makes stuff just confusing and weird. I imagine that Japanese readers would also see the name Sopedo and seeing the symbols would just just thought the author made a weird typo.

Dex-chan lover
So partly because I feel the translated name doesn't sound as good.

But why not just leave Kikouken, Hakkei, etc as just the furigana reading? It's not like using the move name as is hasn't been done before (Hadoken/Shoryuken come to mind) and it sounds better than what is translated is.

Also,
When later on the series explain what Sansui's skills actually do, it'll be less awkward.

Group Leader
@WhimsiCat How much to localize a translation is a never-ending debate where there are positions all along a spectrum that you can take, and no matter what you do, somebody isn’t going to be happy with your decision. I personally like translations to give meaningful context/information without requiring the reader to have pre-existing knowledge of a language other than that of the translation target. Leaving move names untranslated might sound better, but to many readers they would just be cool sounding but meaningless syllables.

That said, I’m not an extremist in this regard: I don’t mind reading things with honourifics where they make sense, and I don’t believe that objects/terms should be replaced by cultural equivalents unless they’re truly unrecognizable to even one with some degree of familiarity with Japanese culture. Translation notes can be used in those cases, but I’m also a strong believer that translation notes should never be used as an excuse to leave something untranslated.

Jokes are tricky. I think in most cases it’s OK to rework a joke so that it has an equivalent effect on the reader. All that said, we have luckily not encountered anything in this series so far that required either joke writing (my quips about the damned horses aside) or translation notes.

Basically, I’m of the opinion that if an English reader is going to lack some context or information in the material that a Japanese reader would extract from it, then that’s a failing in the translation... translating the move names is an example of that. All that said, I’m not the translator on this series, that’s Deer A’s job, and I mostly defer to his judegement unless I feel really strongly that something isn’t working. It just happens that our positions are relatively closely aligned anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread