Josou Off-Kai (Pre-Serialization) - Ch. 8 - Valentine's Day 3

@smolbaka
why do you have to be like this lol, just starting shit for no reason.

the fact that you are even reading this manga means you probably understand what being trans is to a certain extent, so why be like this?

Dex-chan lover
Well, glad to see that toxicity is this low.
It’s certainly got some toxicity, but not bad considering what weeaboys be like: afraid of 3D women.
There’s a pun there. You’ll find it.
I’ll wait.

The level of queerness is confusing the cast, because no one knows the level of queerness at play. That’s... realistic af.

Dammit I was hoping for all of them to be boys. Can't believe one of them is a statistic!

Oh well, pretty cool representation I'm all for it.

@Thrembs
"Weeaboys"
04ca09f09eb8162d4b8cd6106b8e49d678d4e021a35ef1132eb211f73a1be182_1.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@AverageDudeWithAveragePenis
I’d never said that before and kind of regret it.

But weeaboo and gamer dudes have very vocal anti trans subsets and I’m trying to find the best derisive term for them...

The RAW should only be this line 「実は元男なんです」which could mean "I'm actually a former male" or "I was originally a male". The TL deliberately translate 「元」 as "Trans"? it could change the vibe if the author put a different term in future chapters.

Dex-chan lover
@xp32

Editorial decisions need to be made when translating.
The terms used in different countries and cultures are different.
“Former” states “was a man” which flies in Japan but would not in the west.

I was curious what the translation would be, myself. I think this is the least of all evils.

@xp32
1. 元男子 is always used to refer to an individual born male, who socially transitioned. 元男子 as a search term in major search engines is related to MTF and GID, Gender Identity Disorder from DSM-IV-TR, Gender Dysphoria in DSM-V, also see https://mangadex.org/title/18164

2. Lemon: 心も恋愛対象も女性ってことです?
Kamentarou: はい

EDIT 2nd:
3. トランスッジェンダー is reserved for very official/brand representing stuff, see: https://soranews24.com/2020/10/17/new-pantene-commercial-interviews-japanese-trans-individuals-about-difficulties-of-job-hunting/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=TimxJ0ALcfs
79954716_p1.png

EDIT: link if it doesn't work
79954716-2.png

Fed-Kun's army
@xp32 I agree with the other commenters that given the context Tarou is definitely saying she's a transwoman, even if it isn't a 100% literal translation. But to address your concerns about future chapters: I've read all of the raws currently released, and Tarou is consistently depicted as a transwoman. For example in one future chapter she complains about how she hasn't yet been able to change her legal gender, and Lemon comforts her by saying he still sees her as a woman.

@mirewitch
As this comment is posted (20201115T051315Z), individuals in Japan seeking gender marker change that includes alteration of family registry needs to be:
1. Individual must not currently married
2. Permanently sterile through sex gonads removal, medically transitioning a.k.a HRT (administration of exogenous cross-sex hormones) doesn't count.
3. External genitalia
That means: oophorectomy but more commonly radical hysterectomy alongside metoidioplasty or phalloplasty + scrotoplasty for individuals born female, or orchidectomy alongside penectomy + vaginoplasty + labiaplasty for individuals born male.

Kamentarou might or might not pursue the requirements due to her preferences or other factors. Known reasons ranges from: those surgeries are the least significant factor in one's external presentation, realization that medicine doesn't yet provide fertility after those surgeries are taken, dissatisfaction of current medicine technology results, lengthy recovery + post operation maintenance, etc, etc.

EDIT: minor typos.
EDIT 2: forget to include which country does this code apply.

Fed-Kun's army
@JamalPajeetBugMeNotAccountThief We seem to agree that she's a transwoman, so why are you listing all the requirements to legally transition in Japan? I wasn't saying Tarou's complaints about her legal status were invalid; I was using the complaints as evidence that she's being depicted as a transwoman in the story.

Dex-chan lover
the moment when the word trans appeared, i knew this comment section will go to shit.

Dex-chan lover
The 2 cross-dressers just wanting to eat sweets getting dragged into this is great

Banned
Glad TL can have a character they can relate to.

This is the same person who did translation of maiden boy right?

Users who are viewing this thread