Josou Off-Kai (Pre-Serialization) - Ch. 8 - Valentine's Day 3

Dex-chan lover
love to see cis dudes read 8 entire chapters of a manga about crossdressing, out of all the manga on the site, and then when a trans character appears they get mad in the comments when we talk about our experiences

go read some shounen if you don’t like it?

@aloysiusks
Agree. Basically, I was just testing the water since I kinda "allergic" due to the difference in the impression that I got from the RAW vs the translation. I don't have any issues except that one page.

I remember reading manga fukakai-na-boku-no-subete-o ch 18 but the TL wasn't the usual one but made by someone else. Since I also read the RAW, I was like WTH?? The vibe was completely different from RAW for a certain character where she got
villainized
. When the usual scanlator came back and publish their version, it's like a bliss since it has the same intent as the RAW.
This kind of stuff often happens when stuff like "gender" as a theme came out. This kind of genre is my most favorite genre in all aspects. Respecting the original author's intent is the best.

Dex-chan lover
I’ve seen worse comment sections.
There are a few problem children, but weak man-babies not being able to deal with a woman existing isn’t news.

Power Uploader
@kurisu it kind of feels like translating “5 km” to “3 miles” — it means about the same thing, but it wasn't what was said.

It misses the point when it's about how Japanese society treats this matters which frequently uses euphemisms for everything potentially sensitive. They will also frequently say “communication problems” when they clearly mean “autism” but it shouldn't be translated to “autism” either, especially when the story is about what an autist might experience in Japan, because using avoidant language for anything controversial is part of the cultural experience.

Or of course the debate of translating “rorikon” as “pædophile”, even when the character obviously be an actual pædophile.

There are words for “mile” in Japanese; there are words for “transgender”, for “autism” and for “pædophile”, but they often specifically choose to avoid using those words and phrase it in a “softer” way and I think the translation should capture that.

FzH8AVwh.png

Power Uploader
@trapsarebetter It seems funny to me that you link one of my translated pages to use as an example against another translation of mine.

You all can keep debating, my translation stays because it is correct.

Power Uploader
@kurisu and there it didn't happen, did it?
There's nothing funny about it. I argue against the translation, not against any individual translator.

Banned
@trapsarebetter

I somewhat agree that "trans" was a bit odd to see.

It's specifically a western term that looks odd if translating from non western media.

I think "I'm a former male" would've been a better choice of word(s)

Power Uploader
@smolbaka
It's an English word, not a “western” one, and this is an English translation, if the dialog had been different it could have been a proper translation.
It looks odd because, as said, Japan has a culture of avoidant language so they don't quickly use those terms, that has nothing to do with “western" or not, England also has a culture of avoidant language.

Actually, English and Japanese culture are rather similar in ways I never considered before: both are cultures that value status, politeness, deference, composed behavior and avoidant language and are consequently both know for their excellent ability to immediately form an organized queue where no one would ever jump in line.

Group Leader
Lol it's the same two people who always kick up a fuss when a trans character appears in anything. You'd think after all this time they would move on.

This might be surprising to hear, but the Japanese LGBTQ community is pretty large and pretty active, and not really all that different from the Western ones.

I bet smolbaka and trapsarebetter were also those guys that got so angry about Lily being canonically trans in Zombieland Saga that they accused Crunchyroll of being activist SJW translators or whatever

Power Uploader
@osynligahanden it was very good at leaving the situation with the secondary couple hanging, but instead masterfully solving the issue of a lost piece of lipstick.
Thank god it did that — I wouldn't be able to live without knowing what became of the lipstick.

Banned
@trapsarebetter

I'm saying the word is so out of place, you'd think they would use "former male" rather than that word.

It's western influence seeping into non western media. Like how these companies (cough cough funimation and crunchyroll) will take a translation and insert something the original author didn't intend.

It might not be on the same scale. but now this character is saying "I identify as.." rather than saying "I'm just a former male"

That's what the literal translation should be right?

And yeah that's what I'm saying when I say "western" it's English.

Users who are viewing this thread