Journey To The West

Why is this not popular on this site? The art is excellent, and the story is original as well. The characters are quite captivating.

Dex-chan lover
Wait... Why Monkey king only have monkey tail and spikes hair? This isn't dragon ball, is it ?

Double-page supporter
It's been awhile since I've read this, and I just happened to find out that this has been serialized into an anime! Looks really awesome.

Group Leader
If anyone's interested in the anime, the first season is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDsB1_CjpYQ
Yes, it's 3D animated. Only Chinese subtitles though.

Double-page supporter
Okay, there's something that's bothering me with the recent development.

Why did Bai Lang even turn into a dark spirit? He has the purest soul out of the entire group. He hasn't even hurt anyone seriously before unlike some of the other disciples (Wu Jing used to led humans to their deaths, Ao Xue killed alot of humans, etc). Saying that his obsessive thoughts made him fallen seems like a really dumb excuse for plot development imo. I think it's fine to make him into a dark spirit as part of his character development, but there could've been a better way for it to happen.

@Jaegerjaques I stopped reading about halfway through because this manhua is 90% generic shounen battling. The art is gorgeous, but character and plot development are flat and erratic. It's a shame, because I greatly enjoyed Feng Shen Ji by the same author/artist team, and I felt it was a much better developed manhua in almost every way.

Wow, what a ride! All the stuff illustrated is the shit I read in danmei, so I find it a fun read.

Very high quality allround. I feel the art style is very "love it or hate it" though -- it is very high quality though, with lots of detail. Even side character #7765 has more detail and personality, than the main characters in many other Chinese comics. Story is also very strong, characters are very developed and in depth and everything is VERY serious -- maybe even a tab bit too serious for some.
The story also heavily leans on (presumably) Chinese folklore and culture, which might be a bit much and/or confusing for some(including me). Everything is very creatively portrait though. But if you want to know what I'm getting at, just check chapter one. Straight away there is some talking (plant?) head with some parasols sticking out his head.
What I didn't like, is that at points the story is very much a generic shounen -- think annoyingly childish protagonist and too much fighting.

I personally felt it was a bit too heavy and that everything was culturally heavy for me -- and I've read quite a few eastern comics and novels. I also feel I'm getting a bit too old for shounen comics. Than again, it's a shounen comic, so who am I to complain I guess...
The quality most certainly is there though. So if you're in for a pretty serious eastern shounen comic, with a strong story and strong characters, this is very much recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread