Juryo Again - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - I Knew I Wasn't Cut Out for This!

Group Leader
cmeow / Chairman Meow here.

Volume 2 contains chapters 4-7, so I'm going to finish scanlating them and then upload them all around the same time similar to this past volume. I'm currently on chapter 5, so it's gonna take some time because I do this at my own pace and for fun.

In the meanwhile, you can check out these communities to discuss or learn about WL:
  • r/WL - the most popular public platform for English-speaking WLers
  • c/WL - instance I mod, specifically with resources for Canadian WLers
  • Totallympics Forums - discussions about official IWF and Olympic qualifying tournaments
  • WL Forums - smaller and more personal WL community
  • [Facebook] Masters WL Forum - specifically for 35+ yo WLers
Thanks for your patience and hope you keep on beating your PRs/PBs!

---

Official Releases

Support author and potential future WL works.

Author's Twitter
Following authors and retweeting their work can help them get more works serialized!

Dex-chan lover
Realistically, you shouldn't do this. You can severely hurt yourself lifting something too heavy. Mental strength or not, weight lifting should be small and steady building towards a goal. I would also tell this kid to start eating as much as he can for bulk. You need a ton of protein

Dex-chan lover
Norway, man. If I see a club supervisor doing that, imma slap her followed by a shoryuuken to the guts.

Group Leader
Realistically, you shouldn't do this. You can severely hurt yourself lifting something too heavy. Mental strength or not, weight lifting should be small and steady building towards a goal. I would also tell this kid to start eating as much as he can for bulk. You need a ton of protein
For all the common strength sports besides bodybuilding, minor injuries are inevitable because you're pushing your body past its limits at the end of your programs. Part of the competitive process is maintaining higher sustainable progress than leading up to competition by recovering quickly from these injuries so athletes can get back onto their programs without much time loss. With a less aggressive program though, injuries can be mitigated though.

And if they do max out on a heavy weight, it should be a weight you should reasonably be able to do. Usually, you don't exceed 101-105% of your previous max (common in WL or PL). This is an acceptable range where you're allowed some breathing room to fail safely without getting hurt catastrophically. Many times, they will assess how they feel warming up in the back room, perform a 85-90% opener, and strategically pick out what weights they should attempt next:
Also, the point of competitive weightlifting is to get a higher total than your opponent. However, you do have a point if people are casually training WL as a hobby for fun and/or they aren't the competitive types.

2nd point - youth (13-17 yo) WLers have their own weight classes:
For youth boys, like Sakura being 50 kg, he can either cut to 49 kg or bulk up to 55 kg depending on what his goals, how competitive the other weight classes are, and how much LBM and BF % he can manipulate to do well in those classes. So his weight is fine in the context of this sport and more muscle size will come later with more strength and hypertrophy blocks in WL programming.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
For all the common strength sports besides bodybuilding, minor injuries are inevitable because you're pushing your body past its limits at the end of your programs. Part of the competitive process is maintaining higher sustainable progress than leading up to competition by recovering quickly from these injuries so athletes can get back onto their programs without much time loss. With a less aggressive program though, injuries can be mitigated though.

And if they do max out on a heavy weight, it should be a weight you should reasonably be able to do. Usually, you don't exceed 101-105% of your previous max (common in WL or PL). This is an acceptable range where you're allowed some breathing room to fail safely without getting hurt catastrophically. Many times, they will assess how they feel warming up in the back room, perform a 85-90% opener, and strategically pick out what weights they should attempt next:
Also, the point of competitive weightlifting is to get a higher total than your opponent. However, you do have a point if people are casually training WL as a hobby for fun and/or they aren't the competitive types.

2nd point - youth (13-17 yo) WLers have their own weight classes:
For youth boys, like Sakura being 50 kg, he can either cut to 49 kg or bulk up to 55 kg depending on what his goals, how competitive the other weight classes are, and how much LBM and BF % he can manipulate to do well in those classes. So his weight is fine in the context of this sport and more muscle size will come later with more strength and hypertrophy blocks in WL programming.
Here's the problem. There is no competition besides yourself. She is setting a standard when realistically everyone there is a different weight class AND height. Lifting a weight without prep time AND its a weight that is far higher that you have never lifted will sustain a higher degree of injury. This is a manga so its all bullshit to get the reader hyped up. But I see a kid that is not only small but lifting an unknown weight where he will definitely injure himself. Of course everyone in the manga universe is built like a rock

Group Leader
Here's the problem. There is no competition besides yourself. She is setting a standard when realistically everyone there is a different weight class AND height. Lifting a weight without prep time AND its a weight that is far higher that you have never lifted will sustain a higher degree of injury. This is a manga so its all bullshit to get the reader hyped up. But I see a kid that is not only small but lifting an unknown weight where he will definitely injure himself. Of course everyone in the manga universe is built like a rock
Yep, you're definitely right on all of this.

Many of the Japanese reviews of this work cite how inaccurate and potentially dangerous the info is shared is as we'll see in future chapters. Entirely exaggerated for entertainment purposes. I'll keep adding translator's notes at the end of the chapter to clarify what training is really like for WL.

Users who are viewing this thread