Kaii to Otome to Kamikakushi - Vol. 6 Ch. 55 - Interlude 3

Aggregator gang
Regarding THE BUBBLE:
View attachment 4033

There's a bit more going on here than the TL alludes to. First two lines are pretty obviously "Sayonara, Sumireko-san", but that third is very tricky to parse. I've never been able to sort it out to my personal satisfaction myself, so I'm just gonna crowdsource this in the comments and see what happens:

View attachment 4036

From what we CAN see, figuring out that first kanji seems to be the key to unlocking the whole thing. It'd be a better fit if I had the actual font that the manga uses but this one seems fairly close enough. In any event, you have to work it out by recognizing that upper-right slice, which is tricky because you also need to be able to recognize the implied width of the kanji as well. If you've been reading Japanese all your life, you can probably do this instinctively (which makes it double hard for translators because Nujima is trying to be ambiguous to NATIVES here). If not, then you start resorting to overcomplicated pixel analysis like this. Anyway, the upshot is that 野 and 疑 seem like they could fit where 柔 or 通 seem off. Or maybe it's not even any of those! There are a lot of kanji.

View attachment 4039

There's also the second and third characters to consider. For instance, that 3rd one probably isn't 'ma' because it doesn't align with that little visible part on the bottom very well.

So what is it? Every time I've thought about it and decided on something, a few weeks later I look at it again with fresh eyes and then decide I was totally wrong before, so hell if I know. (Astute readers of the originals will notice that 野 "fits" and also is the 'no' in 'Adashino', and we alllll know how mangakas like their character names to be laden with MEANINGS, but I never managed to fill-in-the-blank with it here in a way I felt good about.)

TL;DR: there's something else to Ren's "last words" to Sumireko, but personally as a translator at best I'd be throwing out a slightly-educated-mostly-wildass guess and TL noting it

edit: but if you put a gun to my head and say I DON'T CARE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK IT IS then I'm going with 野暮でした, literally "jackassy/dickish/uncouth/etc [past tense]", or in context probably more translated as "Sayonara, Sumireko-san, sorry for being a jackass". It's not a literal apology, but to say goodbye forever and also acknowledge he acted like a jackass in the past is basically saying sorry without formally saying sorry.
I'd like to think he just decided to go all in on the romance and went with the classic "好きでした" (I loved you) drowned out by fireworks.

Fed-Kun's army
I'd like to think he just decided to go all in on the romance and went with the classic "好きでした" (I loved you) drowned out by fireworks.
I think this possibility makes the most sense, given the overall tone of the series and the scene. There wouldn't have been a need to hide the text, if it was just a simple apology. The scene felt like it was meant to be an intentional parody or subversion of similar scenes in romance series, where the romantic confession is drowned out by fireworks, in order to show progress in the romance, without leading to actual progress. But here we have Sumireko actually kissing Ren in response to the confession (even if she didn't actually hear his confession), in subversion of the trope.

Banned
bro goes from being regret to not be able to take bath together to kiss to the cheek error 404 no reaction was saved in manual guideline troubleshoot buffering

Fed-Kun's army
Almost had me there, really thought he was gonna fade away for a sec, but this outcome is very cute

Now we know how he is going to stick around ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tho more seriously, forming a "bond" with Sumireko, a real living human that exists in present will probably be explained as a thing that will keep him anchored, unlike his sister who is also displaced in time.
His sister is a lot more stable. she has a lot of friends

Group Leader

ooooooooooooohhhh my fucking gawd did I actually get so fixated on that being a マ or 矛 radical up in the corner I galaxybrained my way right on past one of the most obvious in hindsight gimmes in all bloody nihongo I did didn't I

sukideshita.png

Yep, I sure did! Fits perfectly.

"Sayonara, Sumireko-san, I loved you" is 100% it.

WELL AT LEAST NOW I KNOW WHY I WAS ALWAYS IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD LIKE "NAH DUDE IT CAN'T REALLY BE YABO DESHITA CAN IT THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMETHING BETTER" siiiiiiigh

Crowdsourcing wins again! Thank you for saving me from being an idiot.

ooooooooooooohhhh my fucking gawd did I actually get so fixated on that being a マ or 矛 radical up in the corner I galaxybrained my way right on past one of the most obvious in hindsight gimmes in all bloody nihongo I did didn't I

View attachment 4117

Yep, I sure did! Fits perfectly.

"Sayonara, Sumireko-san, I loved you" is 100% it.

WELL AT LEAST NOW I KNOW WHY I WAS ALWAYS IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD LIKE "NAH DUDE IT CAN'T REALLY BE YABO DESHITA CAN IT THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMETHING BETTER" siiiiiiigh

Crowdsourcing wins again! Thank you for saving me from being an idiot.

Aaaaahhhh you guys are great!! I decided to not brood over this to keep my sanity and just add a TL note to the page (which I forgot in the end, lel) but with this riddle solved, I'll try to typeset the bubble anew !! thanks y'all!

wait a freaking second, why does the volume page says volume 8 when this is volume 6 ? is there a problem with translation for this amazing work ? :0

I LOVE THIS CHAPTER SO MUCH OMG
SUMERIKO IS SO AMAZING I LOVE HER SO MUCH! a true "waifu" material (legit dont use that word xD but she is such a wholesome person)
adashino you lucky SOB

Regarding THE BUBBLE:
View attachment 4033

There's a bit more going on here than the TL alludes to. First two lines are pretty obviously "Sayonara, Sumireko-san", but that third is very tricky to parse. I've never been able to sort it out to my personal satisfaction myself, so I'm just gonna crowdsource this in the comments and see what happens:

View attachment 4036

From what we CAN see, figuring out that first kanji seems to be the key to unlocking the whole thing. It'd be a better fit if I had the actual font that the manga uses but this one seems fairly close enough. In any event, you have to work it out by recognizing that upper-right slice, which is tricky because you also need to be able to recognize the implied width of the kanji as well. If you've been reading Japanese all your life, you can probably do this instinctively (which makes it double hard for translators because Nujima is trying to be ambiguous to NATIVES here). If not, then you start resorting to overcomplicated pixel analysis like this. Anyway, the upshot is that 野 and 疑 seem like they could fit where 柔 or 通 seem off. Or maybe it's not even any of those! There are a lot of kanji.

View attachment 4039

There's also the second and third characters to consider. For instance, that 3rd one probably isn't 'ma' because it doesn't align with that little visible part on the bottom very well.

So what is it? Every time I've thought about it and decided on something, a few weeks later I look at it again with fresh eyes and then decide I was totally wrong before, so hell if I know. (Astute readers of the originals will notice that 野 "fits" and also is the 'no' in 'Adashino', and we alllll know how mangakas like their character names to be laden with MEANINGS, but I never managed to fill-in-the-blank with it here in a way I felt good about.)

TL;DR: there's something else to Ren's "last words" to Sumireko, but personally as a translator at best I'd be throwing out a slightly-educated-mostly-wildass guess and TL noting it

edit: but if you put a gun to my head and say I DON'T CARE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK IT IS then I'm going with 野暮でした, literally "jackassy/dickish/uncouth/etc [past tense]", or in context probably more translated as "Sayonara, Sumireko-san, sorry for being a jackass". It's not a literal apology, but to say goodbye forever and also acknowledge he acted like a jackass in the past is basically saying sorry without formally saying sorry.

edit 2: Might I direct you to @manshiro a few posts ahead who is much better at staying out of the radical weeds than I am:

View attachment 4120

This is 100% correct. It's "Sayonara, Sumreiko-san. I loved you."
why is this so good ? xD thank you sir for your job! I need that extra sugar <3 and legit I am re reading the last panels so that I get the idea more of what happened XD
like when she expected a cheeky response, like when he just looked away, does this mean she didnt believe he loved her for real ? since he took it seriously ? and tthen we got that ''badum" <3
but that also means,WHY DID SHE KISS HIM IF THERE WAS NO FEELING ? :meguuusad::shamihuh::smug::notlikethis::pout::qq: (first time using these, wholesome) but the ending means that she also has feeling but didnt just reveal them <3
Gooosh, maybe im looking too deep into this xD but i legit loved those last pages xd

Users who are viewing this thread