KAKAO 79% - Ch. 152 - Words Uttered

?Haha..? alright now .. Get us started with tsubasa and yuu already!!

Group Leader
I absolutely did not see that coming...

Ai-chan has a really roundabout way of approaching her feelings towards Tsubasa... So she tried to get close to Yuu. ... to keep him away from Tsubasa? While also making Tsubasa think that Ai-chan and Yuu were dating so Tsubasa tried to stay away from them both and give them time alone? What? Why didn't she just try to monopolize Tsubasa instead? Why make it seem like she was attached to Yuu?

Dex-chan lover
@seynee I don't know how the story is going to handle it, but homosexuality is not that well accepted in Japan, so I undestand why she refrained from openly pursuing Ayano. Therefore yes, she resorted to pretend to like Yuu to prevent them from getting together, despite being something ultimately pointless as she either would have to let go or come out anyway eventually.
However it can be inferred from other scenes of the flashback that she did also have time with Tsubasa alone, so the "monopolizing" part is fulfilled at least.

Group Leader
@Entryhazard yes, I can understand the need to hide her feelings for Ayano in fear of backlash from the classmates... but I don't see the need to try and pretend to like Yuu. No one suspected her of having feelings for Ayano nor did anyone find it 'weird' that they were best friends or even close to each other. In fact, the classmates were more turned off by the idea that Ai-chan was trying to get inbetween Ayano and Yuu seemingly in attempt to get close to Yuu. As well as Ayano herself tried to distance herself between the two so that they could have more time together...

Ai-chan could've just been best friends with Ayano and no one would've bat an eyelash but it's because she tried to get close to Yuu that the bullying got worse. Ayano's injury was the icing on the cake for the bullying to escalate to the point of no return. I guess my point is, the plot twist (seems like the intent of it) feels really bizarre, inconsistent and seemingly out of nowhere. However I also understand that we are just scratching the surface of it and the flashbacks revealed to us may have intentionally been structured that way to lead to this plot twist, so I'm hoping that Umi-sensei will properly address and handle the strange decisions Ai-chan made.

Dex-chan lover
@seynee In that case it was not just a matter of staying in the closet, she pretended to like Yuu specifically so Tsubasa wouldn't attempt to pursue him in a sort of "sis code", it was just to prevent them from getting together. This probably took precedence over not being bullied by classmates, and there is also the possibility that "persecution" for going after the popular guy would be less severe than being exposed as a lesbian. Even the day of Ayano's injury she interjected solely to prevent Yuu from confessing to Tsubasa, as she just wanted to keep them separate with this pretense.
This reveal was clearly planned since the beginning as there are some details that in hindisght make more sense this way, as for example I always found suspicious that there was not an immediate reaction when Ai apparently kissed Yuu, especially as it was unwanted from his part so it was clear it never happened and Tsubasa just misunderstood, and how Ai always had more meaningful interaction with Tsubasa than him.
tl;dr yes she could have played along as friends, but she specifically wanted to avoid Tsubasa and Yuu becoming a couple

Also it works as an ulterior parallel for Tendou, who pretended to like Yuu for ulterior motives out of "desperation".

Group Leader
I already knew that there would be a plot twist in this chapter, but it's way better than I thought it would be!

OMG IM SO DIDAPPOIINTED IN MY GAY ASS I CANT BELIEVE I THOUGHT SHE WAS STRAIGHT THE WHOLE TIME

Dex-chan lover
This makes more sense now. It does feel like she didn't really like Yuu anyway.

Fed-Kun's army
Ahahaha I was thinking of this. For a while I forgot and got confused in the flashback arc because I thought her being bi were just false memories but something still felt forced.

Ahhhh I really like this story so much, despite how frustrating and agonizing it can get. The characters feel so real and I'm so so so happy for Yuu and Tsubasa's growth. Most especially Yuu.

This chapter feels so satisfying, even though it's just the first important plot point out of possibly three(?) (not sure. I'm basing off that certain panel 50?? chapters back).

Users who are viewing this thread