Kanaria wa Kiraboshi no Yume wo Miru - Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
I think it would be much more interesting if the seductress turned out to be the villain and the childhood friend ended up saving Ayano and being with her in the end. But given that all the promotional material features Ayano and Tsubaki-hime, that seems pretty unlikely.

Double-page supporter
I think it would be much more interesting if the seductress turned out to be the villain and the childhood friend ended up saving Ayano and being with her in the end
Why would that be more interesting? On one hand we have Tomoe who is a good person with good life who will probably stay that way as opposed to Tsubaki who has been shaped by the bad environment she found herself in and who has or has had unfavorable circumstances in her life. One has very little room to grow while the other has so much potential to change (hence why the story is partly about her as opposed to Tomoe).

I really don't understand why people are jumping to this adoration for Tomoe and demanding for Tsubaki to redeem herself instead of just letting the manga tell its story.

Dex-chan lover
Why would that be more interesting? On one hand we have Tomoe who is a good person with good life who will probably stay that way as opposed to Tsubaki who has been shaped by the bad environment she found herself in and who has or has had unfavorable circumstances in her life. One has very little room to grow while the other has so much potential to change (hence why the story is partly about her as opposed to Tomoe).

I really don't understand why people are jumping to this adoration for Tomoe and demanding for Tsubaki to redeem herself instead of just letting the manga tell its story.
I think it’s more about the story being a bit cliché at the moment—not that it’s a bad thing. The story is interesting, and I’m definitely hooked. But you have the childhood friend who’s perfect in every way: a likable martial artist willing to endure pain to protect Ayano. Tomoe clearly seems to be in love with her, and we all know how these stories usually go—the childhood friend loses.

I’m guessing the story will have Tsubaki-hime slowly fall in love with Ayano, and vice versa. Then she’ll probably betray Ayano, deeply regret it, and work to fix things, ultimately saving her from the whole situation. It’s a solid storyline, but it’s one I’ve seen many times before.

Dex-chan lover
It's very funny to me to call this cliche, when "the seductress is evil and your friend who is an upsatanding respectable woman who warned you about her was right and you should have listened to her" IS the cliche. That's historically speaking how the story always goes.

So to call the opposite where the seductress turns out to actually be a person and not just the horny nightmare of a sexist man cliche is sorry to say hilarious.

Dex-chan lover
It's very funny to me to call this cliche, when "the seductress is evil and your friend who is an upsatanding respectable woman who warned you about her was right and you should have listened to her" IS the cliche. That's historically speaking how the story always goes.

So to call the opposite where the seductress turns out to actually be a person and not just the horny nightmare of a sexist man cliche is sorry to say hilarious.
Both are cliche but i would say "evil person" pretending is converted by good person and they fall in love for real is way worst.

Contributor
So far all according to yuri, a fan group singing praises and our main couple being the centre of attention. It's funny seeing Tomoe on the offensive and for now, Tsubaki blushing after trying the ice cream and Ayano being cutely clueless all the time. Looking forward for next chapter and a fantastic work for the part of the scanlation team.

I don’t know what’s more cliche, but the series is pretty clearly setting the stage for a redemption/growth love story for Tsubaki and Ayano, so it would be a fun subversion of expectations if that’s not how things play out.

Dex-chan lover
I think it would be much more interesting if the seductress turned out to be the villain and the childhood friend ended up saving Ayano and being with her in the end. But given that all the promotional material features Ayano and Tsubaki-hime, that seems pretty unlikely.
That would end in absolutely nothing for nobody, other than everyone returning to their lives as if nothing happened. Tomoe will go back to her dojo and Ayano will still be looking for a husband.

The way the plot is developing, Ayano will slowly make Tsubaki open up and turn into a good person, while in turn Tsubaki will pull Ayano out of her crappy family and away from her mother so she can live her own life as she wants. That's a million times more interesting to see.

Dex-chan lover

The trope of the MC being seduced by a character with ill intentions, often forced into it against her will, is extremely common in the romance genre. I could easily list numerous examples from manga, yuri manga, television, and literature. While the friend warning against such a seducer often accompanies this trope, it's nowhere near as prevalent or comparable.

Dex-chan lover
That would end in absolutely nothing for nobody, other than everyone returning to their lives as if nothing happened. Tomoe will go back to her dojo and Ayano will still be looking for a husband.

The way the plot is developing, Ayano will slowly make Tsubaki open up and turn into a good person, while in turn Tsubaki will pull Ayano out of her crappy family and away from her mother so she can live her own life as she wants. That's a million times more interesting to see.
I can only refer to what I've already mentioned—this type of story is very common and, while interesting, it's not particularly unique.

I don’t quite see where your interpretation comes from. Regardless, they wouldn’t simply return to their old lives. The plot involving the geisha and her matron is already in motion. The twist would be the childhood friend rescuing Ayano and ending up in a relationship with her, freeing her from the geisha’s schemes. The friend’s position would shield her from the pressure to marry, allowing her to support Ayano in pursuing her passion. This would offer an intriguing story and refresh some of the overused tropes in yuri.

Dex-chan lover
What's interesting is how the shopkeeper seems to be setting Tsubaki up with Ayano because she knows Ayano will corrupt Tsubaki into a healthy relationship. It's nice that she has people looking out for her already and it's the kind of third party intervention we don't see in these stories, usually the seductress just feels really bad after some grand betrayal.

Dex-chan lover
The twist would be the childhood friend rescuing Ayano and ending up in a relationship with her
This would never happen. Both are members of upstanding families. There is no way, given the historical context and the fictional context of the manga, that she and her friend could have a relationship.
The point of the story is that the foreign prostitute is going to break the MC away from the expectations of society.

Dex-chan lover
To me, it's the wide gap between the leads that gives this story its juice. Tomoe is easy to like, but I don't always want yuri to be fluffy and easy. And even Tsubaki's apparent emotional unavailability has some kinks in it. After all, her job isn't just to sell sex as a convenience, but to make her clients like her so much that they're willing to spend all their money on her.

Tsubaki's approach to Ayano, other than the rare spark of simple joy shining through her armor, and dropping hints to her prospects in life, mostly revolves around physical intimacy and sexual provocation. If her job is to wrap Ayano around her finger, why does she not try to appeal to Ayano emotionally, acting or not? Maybe she intuits this as the best approach to hook Ayano, given that Ayano hasn't realized her real line of work, or even her own attraction to Tsubaki, and just needs a model. It could be that Ayano's kindness and innocence put her at ease and make her feel like she doesn't have to put on an act. Maybe she is so exhausted that she appreciates a break from a more involved performance.

This may be a typical implementation of a character of her type, but I think there's more to her than "calculating prostitute is secretly a good girl". But I also want to see Ayano (and maybe even Tomoe) break out of their good girl shell. Never mind being together, can Ayano do anything for Tsubaki the way she is now?

Users who are viewing this thread