Kanaria wa Kiraboshi no Yume wo Miru - Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
It seems like she’s already fallen for the geisha. She sends her childhood friend away to spend time alone with her, again.

And once again, we’re shown how the geisha is like a bird trapped in a cage. If that other woman had the money, she probably would’ve gone with the other woman.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The way Tsubaki seems to drift through scenes this chapter is such a contrast to the last one where she seemed to be more herself on that little date. Here It's clear her actions are part of her matron's plan and she's kind of going through the motions.
It's also hinted at that she's French, which is interesting given their particularities for prostitution of the démi-monde and la Grande Horizontale. It raises the question of how she ended up in this situation?

Dex-chan lover
The way Tsubaki seems to drift through scenes this chapter is such a contrast to the last one where she seemed to be more herself on that little date. Here It's clear her actions are part of her matron's plan and she's kind of going through the motions.
It's also hinted at that she's French, which is interesting given their particularities for prostitution of the démi-monde and la Grande Horizontale. It raises the question of how she ended up in this situation?
My guess, She is an orphan by a French with a Japanese woman, then the French left the country and her mother couldn't take care of her so she either sold her to the brothel or left her on the street. 🤔

Dex-chan lover
Untitled-1.png
074azid0nif71.jpg

thanks for your work and the extra historical notes at the end!

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the TL!

are women patrons typical for that time or is this manga just progressive? i'm guessing the latter but either way it is interesting to see.

ayano don't really seem to have power or control with her finances so i'm wondering how the matron thinks they can extort her of money

thanks for the TL!

are women patrons typical for that time or is this manga just progressive? i'm guessing the latter but either way it is interesting to see.

ayano don't really seem to have power or control with her finances so i'm wondering how the matron thinks they can extort her of money
Hm good question. I was wondering the same when the other woman showed up, but forgot to research that. Will look into it!

I do know from other research that both (1) married men hiring prostitutes, and (2) men having sex with men were generally not taboo in Japan before Western influence, mostly getting locked down during the Allied occupation after WW2. That said, by this time things had already been quite patriarchal for some time, and that was reinforced by the Meiji Restoration’s borrowing from European politics & peerage systems. So I wouldn’t be surprised if these liberties applied much more to men than woman.

One key difference between Ayano and the woman at the beginning of this chapter is that Ayano’s parents are still the head of her family, whereas the other woman was (at some point) married and likely had more control over her family’s finances. Tsubaki’s matron could be laying the groundwork for when Ayano does marry and inherit the family’s household matters.

I love how uncomfortable this series makes the reader. The circumstances that have allowed them to meet have just barely squeezed through their heavily controlled lives and the doors might just slam shut on them again. It's deeply unclear how much agency they'll be able to have, even if they are able to begin to understand each other. Thank you so much for translating this! I love how much the author clearly is drawing from the original Class S era, it's pretty rare in yuri.

Users who are viewing this thread