Kannagi - Vol. 12 Ch. 76 - Banquet of Blooming Flowers

Dex-chan lover
As a story I enjoyed it. It felt similar to other moe harem stories like Maga-Tsuki or Omamori Himari, both of which are good. For once I feel content without a harem end, I assume since we got an actual confession from Tsugumi and, while she felt regret over not getting together with Jin, could at least move on. The reasoning in particular, that she kept treating Jin like a child rather than a man, is new compared to other harem stories, a pleasant reason indeed.

The art is good. Its crisp and amplifies the story where needed.

The plot is good, a few large arcs with smaller ones thrown in. I can connect with each character on their travels while seeing them enjoy the lighter parts of their lives.

The biggest problem is no doubt the ending. Reincarnation is fine, in fact it seems inevitable given the mangaka's note about adhering to Shinto faith. Rather, why a 13 year old? This was a deliberate choice that easily could have been avoided with a more acceptable number, like 17 or 18. Even the characters in the story recognize this is wrong. Honestly this mutes the otherwise happy ending to a generally good series.

Also of note is The Kannagi Incident. Apparently after ch. 36 and Ozuma's introduction otaku throught Kani was "used-goods" and revolted against the managaka. How people are so riled up by an honestly pleasant plot-twist astounds me. Reports on this incident are wildly varying, although I can once again look at Japan and say "not again."

Lastly the religious aspects. More than just plot elements, it seems the mangaka used their story to explore the Shinto faith. Going beneath the harem, I see an argument for religion in society, namely that tradition holds the bonds between us. I can forgive the overtly religious elements of the story, but only since I'm not familiar with Shinto. No doubt if this was a story about Christianity and Christ I'd be more unsettled.

That's all my thoughts. A good story despite the concerning ending. A shame this has no English paperback. 8/10.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
yeah no why turn her 13? also did she just will a body into existence? or is it some girl's body and she just took over it? either way this ending was not satisfying at all

Users who are viewing this thread