Kare to Kanojo no Sentaku - Vol. 4 Ch. 18

Contributor
When I see a gender bender comic, with a trans message, I question: so why do you cherry pick these issues? Why not make a full transgender manga and show the actual real life of a transgender character?
A perfect example I have of why this happens lies with Rod Serling.

In the 1950s, Serling - a fledgling television show writer at the time - heard about the infamous story of Emmett Till, an African-American boy who was lynched for just looking at a white woman. He decided to write a teleplay based loosely on the story and pitched it to television networks.

…and then when he mentioned it in an interview, people were furious. Thousands of angry letters and calls came from white supremacist organizations looking for blood, and television studios refused to air Sterling’s teleplay because they didn’t lost views from any portion of their audience - even the racists. Sterling’s teleplay was edited and sifted through with a fine-toothed comb until pretty much every actual discussion of racism was gone.

So when Mr. Serling got the opportunity to head his own television series, he did a different approach. The Twilight Zone was a science-fiction anthology that discussed things like race, war, prejudice, violence, politics, and the whole of human nature through allegories and parables. Television studios were less likely to censor it because who would read that much into a silly show about aliens?

So to answer your question, consider this: if it was about an actual trans person transitioning, would you have picked it up?

Double-page supporter
So to answer your question, consider this: if it was about an actual trans person transitioning, would you have picked it up?
Aliens and sci fi stories are more universal stories than racism and bigotry because everyone knows aliens and science fiction.
Universal stories are Universal, meaning that anyone can enjoy them.

If your align with "Diversity and inclusion" dogma, and believe that "people of diversity have different points of view or stories or experiences" then you are basically segregating everyone.
Asian people used to love Western Entertainment before DEI. Now they make their own entertainment and I like it even though I am not Asian.

The same I would say about the story: writing a story too on the nose is crossing the line between entertainment and propaganda. (Who was his target audience?)

Lastly, I would ask the author of the manga the same question: who is your target audience? Because they are trying to have their cake (drawing a very beautiful trans character) and eating it too (preach about trans issues).
To do these two is like farming for attention (or outrage). It's like: "you tattoo your face to look like a demon and unless you get acclamation and praise, you refuse all criticism and demand respect like "why are you looking at my face, bruh?!""

I don't like these kind of obnoxiousness and if I feel pressured to feel a certain way, then I feel the need to criticize it and talk about it with others who also feel pressured but can't understand why.

So to answer your question: I probably wouldn't have. That doesn't give you (the author) the excuse to catfish me and then shame me for not agreeing with your message.

Make it entertaining first!

Last edited:
I picked up again this series and I'm so glad I did, their relationship and Haruka's feelings are what make me continue reading. Also when she said "I'm going to believe in the person that the person i love believes in" felt like "don't believe in you believe in me that believes in yourself" from Kamina. Thanks for translating this series.

Dex-chan lover
The two best friends DON’t become a couple and stay best friends

Kazuma and Akari stay together as we literally saw the moment he fell for her

I’m honestly a bit glad about it as just because something is expected of you doesn’t mean it’s gonna happen.
who's akari again?

Users who are viewing this thread