Kawaii Hito - Vol. 5 Ch. 18

Dex-chan lover
Ughh again I have a problem with translations always using the persons name when using you would be better, more impactful, and just more romantic in english

Dex-chan lover
The casual sex in this manga soothes my soul after reading a bunch of series where couples that have been together for like 12 years won't even hug when they are alone.

And I don't mean it in a perverted way, watching a couple be this intimate so casually is really nice.

Dex-chan lover
@Ranzo I don't think so. I like translation that is the closest the the original Japanese. If the Japanese raw uses persons' name then translator should keep that. You should remember that this is Japanese manga and the characters are Japanese. Changing it into the way Westerners speech is just weird. I found manga where the translator made the characters speak like Americans are weird. Japan is a conservative country so their way of speech is reserved but there is still a subtle romantic element to it. Also, in Japanese, it is rude to use pronouns that are equivalent to "you" in English when speaking to another person so they often use the persons' name and avoid using pronouns. I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of J-drama so I am accustomed to this, I found using "you" is not romantic but just plain rude.

Dex-chan lover
@But you are translating it into English how is it weird to use the grammar rules that language is based on? That I really don't understand. The object of translating something into that language should be to make it sound accessible and natural in that language. English is always dictated by how words flow together and how they bounce each other. And yeah English is also heavily influenced by pronouns and it's pretty foundational to the language. Using their names instead of you makes them sound stiff and weirdly robotic, not that of a couple who have been together for quite a while at this point. It also makes it sound like they are talking to about someone else entirely.
It only works when it is in that target language

Dex-chan lover
Smart girl! No one else should see your beauty, you tried before, it's not yours, just enjoy your life)

Dex-chan lover
@Ranzo, imma have to disagree with you. like, using proper nouns instead of pronouns doesn't actually render this translation inaccessible? it upsets your grammatical sensibilities but those aren't really universal among english speakers. Just looking at English lit you see a lot of works which are written using non-standard dialects, like As I Lay Dying and There Eyes Were Watching God , those haven't had to be translated into standard English to be widely read and understood. like the settings of those works are important and so keeping the dialect unchanged is also important

If the goal of translation were to make it seem as if the events were all taking place in America then, yeah, it would be a failing to not use pronouns. But you'd have to sacrifice a lot of the author's original intent in order to make that sort of translation work. In this case the translator chose to emphasize meaning over flow, which I'd agree with. Knowing one's audience is pretty important even in translation, and presumably this audience knows that this work takes place in Japan and has a passing familiarity with the nuances of the Japanese you. We glean a deeper understanding of the author's intent by keeping with certain linguistic practices, and in this case it doesn't really disturb anyone's overall comprehension of the plot, so best practice would be to keep it

Power Uploader
Imagine dating a woman for months, having sex with her more than once and still calling her by her family name...

"So, did you cum last night, Ms Hiyori?"

"I did, Mr Hanazono... I did.."

By this time, any other people in the world would call each other the equivalent of "Pumpkin" and "Honey-bunny". Or at least their first-name.

Um... they get the job of meteorologist by winning a beauty contest? Is that how you get jobs in Japan?

Double-page supporter
@ Kirin-kun
that's a non issue, honestly at this point just roll with whatever they're called and treat that as a first name, else you'd find a lot of inconsistencies with a fuckton of romance mangas

Dex-chan lover
@aleigh45 In a lot of places the weathergirl is just a cute/hot chick who is basically there to be eye candy for the viewers. She doesn't need to know shit about the weather, they tell her what she has to say beforehand.

She would basically be a low-tier actress.

Dex-chan lover
Again I fundamentally disagree with that because by not translating it properly into english you are taking away from the original work
You are making it sound stilted and making it sound odd while in the original language it sounds natural and impactful
Whether or not you are used to it is beside the point

Users who are viewing this thread