Kimi ga Shinu Made Ato 100 Nichi - Ch. 37 - This Time, I Will Be The One To Save You

@SuperOniichan
There's the memory loss, the god coming down and giving a big exposition dump, resurrecting Tarou through divine intervention, and the lazy generic "villain" motivation of god just doing all of this because he can and he's bored.

Dex-chan lover
I think what really threw everyone off this manga is how it originally went from a light-hearted comedy to a slightly supernatural darker-themed race to beat fate and save the girl he loves...to now a lighthearted comedy again? It's like reading a story except it ends halfway and the second half is just an extended epilogue. The tone that had been building up regressed back to its start, the high-stakes have vanished, the lingering dread of inevitable doom is gone and now I'm at a loss of how the story will find its momentum again and end in a way that's satisfactory.

As best put by someone else: I'll keep reading but not as invested.

Dex-chan lover
Not to be a contrarian, but...

I actually kinda like this development. I feel like it makes their relationship more reciprocal. Before it made it so that Rintarou had to shoulder the burden and guilt a lot more, and that he was constantly paranoid of losing the one he loved. Umi was more moral support but she didn't seem to be able to really feel as proactive as Rin in making plans to save her life.

Her it feels like Rin's more in the moral support and could either feed his other self information by the wheel, or Umi information (because God gave her the task to get all his memories back, she might not be allowed to if Rin's other half gives himself memories) on what precisely she/he should do to fill in the gaps. (I really like the puzzle metaphor because there's surely blurry areas where he has memories with multiple people that center around Umi, so if they can trigger those dominos it should work.)

Considering how dreams IRL are only in REM sleep, which can last anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes, even if they feel a lot longer. So he shouldn't be as constricted as he otherwise would be.

Also the detail about the woman from Itsuki's story being the one to help out half of Rin's soul is a nice detail that ties their fates together in a way that seems natural. (It's all to entertain God, so it makes sense he would send her of all people to help him out. Plus it gives both a narrative parallel with Itsuki helping Umi with Rin which ultimately stems from his failed relationship and the woman helping Rin with his past love.)

It works better than I thought I would, as I've digested it a bit.

There are far too much more practical ways to explain the "supernatural" part of the story (theres even no real reason to explain it), but to include god to simplify everything is bullcrap.
The author created lovable characters and plot that you can easily get attached to, then smudged it all with a single plot twist.
This manga is definitely good, but not as great as what it could've been.

Contributor
Everybody so busy shitting on this manga nobody even mentioning how that woman Itsuki told was gonna die in surgery and then disappeared died and is now in heaven.

Dex-chan lover
Wow this is a bit disappointing. So many here are disliking the development. I'll still like this though.

I've read some similar romcom with bits of fantasy or supernatural, and most of them stayed as romcom without ever furthering the fantasy part. It's actually nice that this manga that started more as a somewhat stupid romcom drama is exploring it's other not much focused genre. Also it's main characters are growing. They're written as imperfect characters, having flaws that is/was being tackled through the story.

And yeah I also liked when the God is portrayed as someone so irrational or unreasonable that we couldn't understand. Though he still pretty much unnecessary and was forcedly introduced that makes people turn off.

Dex-chan lover
Huh. Didn’t expect this development to be so poorly liked. I enjoyed the “god” explanation. It’s a simple romcom. I didn’t need a super complex ultra serious explanation, and honestly I’ve seen similar series never explain it. I’m just happy the author didn’t go full cheese with a “miracle blah blah; fluke something; it was born out of our love whatever”. Plus the I love god’s personality. I mean he’s an all powerful, all knowing, immortal in charge of all creation; he’s got to have fun some way. And no our dear mc, he’s not a bad guy. From the way it was explained he gave you a chance to save the girl you loved when you had none. Sure it was all lolz for him, but it doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t have to (and really shouldn’t) do anything to help our cast. Regardless this really isn’t a bad development. This gives our main heroine a chance to save the mc and grow some more before they finally get their happy ending and then a few more chapters after that to close the subplots and we’ve got a S ranked romcom. From the beginning I wasn’t expecting serious plot and character development; I thought this would be another forever ongoing romcom with a gimmick until it got axed or canceled and got a forced ending. This is going much better than I hoped. Is the random god explanation a cop out? Sure, but it doesn’t majorly demerit the story. As long as this arc doesn’t go on forever and the author doesn’t use god again after this is over to force the series to continue forever, them I’m good. Better than good actually. There’s a lot of ways this series could have easily gone down the drain. The author successfully managed to clear up major plot points, advance the story, and continue the story without making me lose interest. I’m actually happy everything wasn’t resolved after they saved her. I’ve read too many series that continued on without story/character development, too many abrupt endings, too many unresolved plot points, and too many pointless plot conveniences to be disappointed here.

Dex-chan lover
Yoooo is that the woman from Itsuki's past??? I like this crossing of fates

Also I like this development really. A bit more explanation on the abilities thing rather than just hand-waving it away as something they have (even if it was cliche that they went with the God thing, but that's nice too sometimes). Plus, they pulled of switching the MC in a pretty decent way, and it will let us get an even better look into Umi's head, and change up the way the issues are handled. I imagine that this twist could have gone much much worse, but the author executed it fine enough, which is pretty good for me.

Dex-chan lover
re-reading this again make me realize Umi is literally haft of Tarou memory

Users who are viewing this thread