Kimi no Tame no Curtain Call - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Group Leader
I plan to go back and translate the first 2 chapters at some point. No offense to the original group but I like consistency. And I feel like it'll help me get a feel for Tsubame's voice.

Tsubame's voice is difficult to narrow down. Her flashy persona is both oddly boyish and dramatic, which plays a role in the story and naturally needs representing. English doesn't express the boyishness as easily so I've leaned into her campiness. Essentially, if I think her lines sound slightly awkward, I think that means it's in the right place.

My redrawing is halfassed but this was one of the hardest manga I could have picked up. The bombastic art style is one of its main appeals and I wish I could do it justice. There's some experimenting with handdrawn SFX too that hopefully looks alright. Also that effect with black outlines around text breaking bubbles? Don't know how people feel about that.

I really want to work from the volumes on this one; volume 1 came with lots of good improvements and 2 will be out soon. So I might take my time with updates HOWEVER it shouldn't be longer than 1 chapter per month.

There's currently 13 chapters out. Won't spoil anything, but in my impression the raws are just about leaving the introductory act. I'm not sure where it will go from there, but it's been very cool so far.

Group Leader
Also that effect with black outlines around text breaking bubbles? Don't know how people feel about that.
My first thoughts when I saw them were “that’s an interesting choice” rather than “that’s ugly”, that’s to say I don’t mind them. Speaking of, how did you do the effect? My first thought would be to make the stroke into a layer and mask out the part in the bubble, but that seems like a huge pain.

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for picking this up. I can definitely see some difficulty with this one, both art- and translation-wise. Your take on Tsubame sounds on track to me. Good luck with getting her voice down, she's an interesting character and I'm looking forward to the next chapters. I'm also reading your scanlation of Aizawa-san and Princess of Sylph until its recent unfortunate end, so I feel sure you'll do this one justice too.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking this up! Have been waiting so long for the next chapter :win:

Dex-chan lover
I plan to go back and translate the first 2 chapters at some point. No offense to the original group but I like consistency. And I feel like it'll help me get a feel for Tsubame's voice.

Tsubame's voice is difficult to narrow down. Her flashy persona is both oddly boyish and dramatic, which plays a role in the story and naturally needs representing. English doesn't express the boyishness as easily so I've leaned into her campiness. Essentially, if I think her lines sound slightly awkward, I think that means it's in the right place.

My redrawing is halfassed but this was one of the hardest manga I could have picked up. The bombastic art style is one of its main appeals and I wish I could do it justice. There's some experimenting with handdrawn SFX too that hopefully looks alright. Also that effect with black outlines around text breaking bubbles? Don't know how people feel about that.

I really want to work from the volumes on this one; volume 1 came with lots of good improvements and 2 will be out soon. So I might take my time with updates HOWEVER it shouldn't be longer than 1 chapter per month.

There's currently 13 chapters out. Won't spoil anything, but in my impression the raws are just about leaving the introductory act. I'm not sure where it will go from there, but it's been very cool so far.
You're putting a lot of love and effort into your work. Thank you so much!

Group Leader
Speaking of, how did you do the effect? My first thought would be to make the stroke into a layer and mask out the part in the bubble, but that seems like a huge pain.
  1. Select -> expand by a few extra pixels beyond the text's white outer glow
  2. Filled a new layer below the text with black
  3. Did a magic wand of the empty bubble and expanded by 1, cleanly deleting any black inside the bubble
  4. Rounded the outer edges a little with the eraser
Maybe not the best but I used to work exclusively with new layers to give SFX outlines so I'm used to clunky methods.

It was something I first saw on the TL for Erio and the Electric Doll and was impressed. It's a decent workaround for typesetting vertical bubbles with bold text, where your choices are making text too small or awkwardly poking out the sides, though it looks better the rougher the bubble is.

Dex-chan lover

Just came across this just now looking for some new things to read.
After checking the comments, just your level of effort has lead me to put this into a plan to read status while waiting for either new, or the prior two chapters to come out before I dive into reading.

Thank you for your efforts, read a few other things you worked on and they were all done well.

Looking forward to more in the future!

Dex-chan lover
Thank you so much for picking this up!!

When I first read this a while ago, I fell in love with Tsubame's theatrics! Her dramatic nature and earnestness is so unendingly charming to me, and the way she unwaveringly supports Sakura so far is absolutely incredible.
Sakura, too, is such a lovely character. Her admiration for Tsubame is adorable and heartwarming, and her sense of storytelling appeals to me greatly.
They're the combination of two things I love the most! Writing and performing! Can't wait to see more of these two and how their story unfolds!!!!

Dex-chan lover

Thank you for picking it up!

Also I dont trust this new girl at all🤣

Dex-chan lover
Oh, look, MC collected yet another weird girl :lol:
Wonder what her issue is... Beyond being an airhead.

Thank you for picking this one up~

Dex-chan lover
This is looking great so far, love Tsubame's energy. Thank you Beltaro for translating this!

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for picking this up!! I really want to know why the mind of Tsubame works the way it does... A "girl prince" that is unpopular at her school is also a little unusual in yuri, especially as the face of a series.

Supporter
Coming here from your scanlation of Princess of Sylph, thank you so much for picking up this series! You're doing phenomenal work!

The energy in this series is phenomenal so far. Huge fan of the art direction, the whole "the acting is so good you can see the setting" trope is a favorite of mine, I hope the author continues with that.

Group Leader

I saw a notification about this series on my Twitter timeline and thought I'd see if anyone had picked it up (since I'd considered it), and lo and behold! Love your other work so I'm very excited to see this one in such capable hands.

I like how you're writing Tsubame so far. One thing that had kept me from picking this up as a project previously (besides a lack of bandwidth) is that having read the raws I knew it would be a challenge. I'm sure it's a fun one, though.

Users who are viewing this thread