Kimi to Shiranai Natsu ni Naru - Vol. 3 Ch. 16 - Say Goodbye to My Boring Self

Group Leader
Yes this is the end. There's still extras for volume 3 coming, in September, and it might be longer than usual considering this volume was suspiciously a full chapter short on the page count.

But it's safe to say it was axed. There's some unnatural circumstances, especially the sudden hiatuses, and it felt like this chapter was racing through plot points that easily could have taken up more chapters, assuming this was the intended conclusion.

All things told, I think it wrapped up nicely. There's some great payoffs with Haru returning to how she was in chapter 1, Haru seeing herself in Hinoto, Haru tearing up the marriage certificate, the way they traded suffering over each other over the course of the manga, and them finally having absolutely nothing left.

Also more manga seriously need to end with the protagonists saying, "Fuck it all, let's just have sex all day."

It's a happy enough ending: they recognize their true happiness is each other and are willing to suffer through the grind together. But I don't think for a moment this was Keyyan's original vision. It just doesn't add up thematically, coming up weak if they're simply meant to be 2 dumb kids who got in over their heads and returned to life. The story needed more ups and downs for that to work, instead of one big fall before quickly calling it quits. And the message of "just have a girlfriend who'll die for you" isn't likely to resonate with those sympathizing with their situation. As much as I love Haru and Hinoto's never-ending commitment to one another.

So while I admire Keyyan's ability to make the best of this, and I'm happy it wasn't KitaKawa 2, I'm pretty dissatisfied. As you might be able to tell by the credits page.

Seriously, I'm going to jump off a bridge if The Princess of Sylph doesn't make it. A short bridge but it'll hurt my ankles.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn’t expecting to see the ending now, and certainly not like this. It’s honestly refreshing to see it not resolving the main issue about getting a job, not everything goes as one wants which this manga has shown quite well. But the ending still show that it’s not the end of the world, with lots of sex you can overcome it!

The entire drama hinges on her not getting the nepotism job through her aunt and that was so unrealistic the entire rest of the drama just seems pointless and badly written.

Dex-chan lover
Seriously, I'm going to jump off a bridge if The Princess of Sylph doesn't make it. A short bridge but it'll hurt my ankles.
Don't even suggest this. I just bough My Sisters best friend kindle ver., I will have to buy this one as well.
Also, the axe feel is strong, but at least this ending was interesting (MCs failing to get their jobs, in a way reflecting authors inability to keep their series)

Group Leader
I'll have to agree. The way this story started and progressed, I simply can't believe that the intended conclusion was "give up and compromise until we make it through the slog we call corporate life". Hell, it was hammered basically every chapter how hard they were trying to avoid giving up on the sacrifices they'd made to find happiness their own way.

For it to end with them giving up in the face of strife, after all the pain, anxiety and stress—although painstakingly realistic and relatable—didn't seem to be the original goal of the story. And that sucks to see.

But I appreciate it nonetheless, because it was a great read. Everyone felt real human in a way you don't normally see in manga. Thanks for the chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Yes this is the end. There's still extras for volume 3 coming, in September, and it might be longer than usual considering this volume was suspiciously a full chapter short on the page count.

But it's safe to say it was axed. There's some unnatural circumstances, especially the sudden hiatuses, and it felt like this chapter was racing through plot points that easily could have taken up more chapters, assuming this was the intended conclusion.

All things told, I think it wrapped up nicely. There's some great payoffs with Haru returning to how she was in chapter 1, Haru seeing herself in Hinoto, Haru tearing up the marriage certificate, the way they traded suffering over each other over the course of the manga, and them finally having absolutely nothing left.

Also more manga seriously need to end with the protagonists saying, "Fuck it all, let's just have sex all day."

It's a happy enough ending: they recognize their true happiness is each other and are willing to suffer through the grind together. But I don't think for a moment this was Keyyan's original vision. It just doesn't add up thematically, coming up weak if they're simply meant to be 2 dumb kids who got in over their heads and returned to life. The story needed more ups and downs for that to work, instead of one big fall before quickly calling it quits. And the message of "just have a girlfriend who'll die for you" isn't likely to resonate with those sympathizing with their situation. As much as I love Haru and Hinoto's never-ending commitment to one another.

So while I admire Keyyan's ability to make the best of this, and I'm happy it wasn't KitaKawa 2, I'm pretty dissatisfied. As you might be able to tell by the credits page.

100% all my feelings. If this is the ending, it retroactively makes the series seem much more simple than I expected it to be. The ending could have broadly remained the same. I actually expected that the story was leading to this intended ending; but it was certainly sudden, here, and felt like it skipped steps in a way the rest of the story did not. I might need to reread it to get the full story in one motion--but fully agreed.

I'll also die if Sylph has a similar fate but less so, since that one at least has an earlier version that lets us know what the general intended story should be like (and it was already great).

Dex-chan lover
This was unnervingly close to being KitaKawa 2, was panicking through all the pages. Yikes.

Thanks for all your work with this series, hope more people are able to support the author cause this was a huge yikes, thankfully it seemed like we got the best out of what we could have gotten.

Dex-chan lover
I wasn't expecting a happy, perfect end for the couple but that was certainly a depressing way to go out. At least they're still together and utterly in love so they have some source of happiness in the horrible world of Japanese job hunting.

Thanks for translating.

Dex-chan lover
I'll have to agree. The way this story started and progressed, I simply can't believe that the intended conclusion was "give up and compromise until we make it through the slog we call corporate life". Hell, it was hammered basically every chapter how hard they were trying to avoid giving up on the sacrifices they'd made to find happiness their own way.

For it to end with them giving up in the face of strife, after all the pain, anxiety and stress—although painstakingly realistic and relatable—didn't seem to be the original goal of the story. And that sucks to see.

But I appreciate it nonetheless, because it was a great read. Everyone felt real human in a way you don't normally see in manga. Thanks for the chapters.
Agreed with all that. Also in a strange way that this may not have been the intended conclusion and was effectively forced on the author despite truly loving the characters itself sort of makes it all more poignant? The emotion feels real. And I find the end sort of satisfying in that it's not their dreams, but neither is it doom and gloom. Like, that's not such a bad life is it? Not their beautiful dream life but they are young, their relationship is now on the kind of footing and they have the kind of perspective many people will never get in decades more, they have opportunities, they're fundamentally safe and sound.

So I'm not sure I'd consider this a "downer" ending either, just capital-L Life. Might have been rushed and forced but for once that has its own sort of clouded beauty somehow? Thanks for bringing it to us.

Dex-chan lover
This was such a.. well.. let down is all I can say. I'm happy the author decided to actually conclude(?) on a more positive note, but wow did their writing churn my stomach in knots with the drama, I really hope their next work is more successful. I guess my standard of only buying after 25 chapters is a little flawed, not that just myself would have made it not get axed. Thanks for the TL and I'm looking forward to the next.

Dex-chan lover
Sucks that this got cut short & even as realistic as the stuff they dealt with, I still wanted them to be happy. I hope the extra will provide further stuff & a happier resolution. Thanks for translating this to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread