Kin no Hitsuji - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Dog & Rock n' Roll

U gotta fuck up the bullies on sight when they alone every time u see them

Manga characters are so mean. Typical high schoolers are generally more understanding.
Like shunning because of a single pad? Uh, can’t relate. But hey, drama, right? (Or maybe I’m privileged for never encountering such a high school. Shrug.)

Dex-chan lover
@saenahonce It's not the pad. It was a setup; they'd marked her for shunning and then her "friend" gave the signal.
I've never seen anything much like it myself; my schools were less subtle and less organized. In my day if the other kids didn't like you they'd taunt and insult you and sometimes a group would chase you around the schoolyard and beat you up if they caught you. But that was it--it was an unfair fight, but still a fight of sorts, they expected you to fight back. This stuff you see a lot in manga where the bullies make people knuckle under and humiliate themselves, or in the case of girls systematically mess with people's heads, is just vile. But I've heard it's not unrealistic.

Group Leader
@purplelibraryguy
Yeah, a lot of this all goes hand in hand with Japanese culture. Since they're so very much a group mentality, being ostracized from the group is a bigger social horror than I think any westerner can truly appreciate. The Japanese are also all about not bothering people, especially with their personal problems, therefore that's why often kids never speak up about being bullied because it usually makes things worse anyway.
But again, manga is a form of media, and like all media, it's dramatized. So you also have to keep that in mind.

That being said, I gotta say I can relate hard core to "Japanese girl bullying". Girls from my own school did a lot of this mental warfare stuff I often read about in manga. The physical violence aspect was much less scarce, but whew lad. There was constant emotional/sociological warfare going on.

@saenahonce I'm probably older than many users here, mid 30s getting closer to 40, in my time High Schoolers could be ruthless and mean depending on the 'target' and their style some got bullied physcologically by getting isolated and ridiculed constantly, others got abused physically sometimes in subtle ways and at other times it could get ugly with more direct abuse. From what I've heard overall high schoolers have become nicer over the years, not to the point where bullying has been 'solved', but the attitude seems to be more positive nowadays.

Dex-chan lover
@gomichandesu Culture is weird stuff. Even cultures you'd expect to be very similar . . . my wife has some Dutch relatives. Recently we were out at a place with a lot of European tourists walking around and she said she could always tell the German tourists from the Dutch ones--the German tourists were looking around to, like, see what was there--see the sights, take in the view, like that. The Dutch were looking around to see if anyone was doing anything wrong they should disapprove of.

lol I: don't know about that. I've seen ostracising and bullying that occurs along these lines (minus the violence).

Bullying like this is not unrealistic. I've seen bullying similar to this, except without the pretending to still be friends.

Users who are viewing this thread