Kingdom - Ch. 800 - The Three Pillars

Dex-chan lover
What I’m referring to is a military loss typically doesn’t mean you lose all the soldiers, usually 30-50% (even ~20%) is already considered a rout. In this chapter they implied they lost 300,000 men and in the previous chapter the losing side always seem to lost almost the full number of their men. This is exacerbated by the fact that Qin has been waging consecutive wars and would have been constantly losing able-bodied man.

So, IMO, the reality is that the loss is exaggerated firstly by the winner to pad their accomplishments and second, more generally because they don’t have proper record of their people and they may just count those MIA or fleeing during a rout as simply killed.
We don’t really have a proper idea what they consider a loss, so that probably affects the numbers too, as with any major loss, prisoners, injuries and deserters are sure to increase the amount of people they consider lost in the aftermath. That’s my theory at least..l

Fed-Kun's army
I vaguely remember reading about how the Qin empire played a major role in standardization of a bunch of things across its territories, even stuff like the length for carts being made and what not. I guess this is part of where it begins. Standardization to improve efficiency among its empire.

Dex-chan lover
Makes me wonder how exaggerated the record (number of dead soldiers) actually is or if the king’s power base was really that strong.

To make that much losses, both in people and resources and yet can and decided to still persist to continue waging war is quite crazy. How high must the tax be and how nuts must the conscription be to sustain all this (regardless whether the number of losses is exaggerated or not).

In this series he is portrayed as Shin’s buddy and in a very positive light, but that really can’t wipe the fact that Sei is a war lunatic despot simply by looking at his persistence to wage war for “unification” at all costs (which is probably how it is in actual history).

The manga itself touched on this, but a bit before our main story began one of the generals from the old "Six great generals of Qing" lead a battle against Zhao where he killed 200K troops, and then proceeded to bury alive the remaining 200K that have surrendered. An overall casualty list of 400 000 men, for 1 battle/campaign

The 200 000 lost in these last 2 wars would kinda pale in comparison.

Dex-chan lover
What I’m referring to is a military loss typically doesn’t mean you lose all the soldiers, usually 30-50% (even ~20%) is already considered a rout. In this chapter they implied they lost 300,000 men and in the previous chapter the losing side always seem to lost almost the full number of their men. This is exacerbated by the fact that Qin has been waging consecutive wars and would have been constantly losing able-bodied man.

So, IMO, the reality is that the loss is exaggerated firstly by the winner to pad their accomplishments and second, more generally because they don’t have proper record of their people and they may just count those MIA or fleeing during a rout as simply killed.
My point still stand. "They exaggerated the number" is actually one of the more common orientalist talking point that really should be retire. Ancient people might not have the complete picture but they are still close enough. Dead bodies aren't also hard to count and people in armies are counted even more closely because they need to be paid. So army records has to be even better kept than normal records, you don't want a rogue army suddenly pop up in your territory.

Also MIA and deserted soldiers are as good as dead most of the time so there aren't any differences.

The family registry lets the government keep track of a family, all of their members, and ages. This way the government can apply the "correct" level of taxation (no level of taxation is ever correct), and make sure that if they enact a draft for soldiers all men of the required age are accounted for, punishing the family if any of the men try to escape from the draft without approved cause.
Kinda like a Census

In this series he is portrayed as Shin’s buddy and in a very positive light, but that really can’t wipe the fact that Sei is a war lunatic despot simply by looking at his persistence to wage war for “unification” at all costs (which is probably how it is in actual history).
This has always been a big tension in Kingdom. Really, among major characters it is Riboku whose sensibilities are closest to most modern readers, but we all cheer against him.

Dex-chan lover
This has always been a big tension in Kingdom. Really, among major characters it is Riboku whose sensibilities are closest to most modern readers, but we all cheer against him.
I mean since riboku is the mastermind behind the war to kill ouki, one of readers favorites, i can see where the dislike coming from

I recommend reading The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han by Mark Edward Lewis if you want an understanding of how exactly Chinese armies ballooned to the sizes they got to, and why the percent death toll in China seemed to be so high compared to Europe. The tl;dr is that Qin and the other states of the Warring States period were organized along the lines of total war where literally the entire male population was considered eligible for service and where it represented essentially the only form of social mobility. You'll notice that Rome in the same period had similarly gigantic armies; by the time they were involved in Greece, they kept upwards of 200 thousand soldiers mobilized year-round, and this was made possible by a similar system of military recruitment.

The difference is that Rome didn't seem to apply the system consistently abroad (outside of Latium and their Italian socii), while Qin aggressively pushed this system everywhere they went. It got to the point where the land in Qin was organized into rectangles, to better allow the Qin state to hand it out as a reward.

China's logistics were also different from European logistics, partly because of the crops grown and the resulting population density patterns. It wasn't realistic to sustain a hundred thousand people in the field for any length of time if you're relying solely on smallholdings farming wheat, which is why you basically don't see armies of that size in Europe until the early modern era. Without proper logistic chains it wasn't even really possible to sustain ten thousand or twenty thousand people for very long, you couldn't forage (read: rob peasants of) enough food to last, which is why European kingdoms, with their pathetic organizational ability, never had particularly large armies in battle even when their populations were big enough to support them. Agincourt, a clash of two royal armies which represented the full effort of their kings to bring forth their military might, probably had no more than 30 000 people on the field total, and possibly as few as 20 000. But that wasn't because (or solely because) Europe was a depopulated wasteland.

Users who are viewing this thread