Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 14 Ch. 145 - In Kiyo-chan's Case

Aww, they should've taken Kiyo out for lunch to actually give her a break from cooking :/ I love Kiyo and I hope all the best for her.

Dex-chan lover
geez there should be a limit to how chill Kiyo is, even pro chefs have hobbies aside from cooking

Dex-chan lover
I'm not entirely sure Kiyo knows what a "day off" is. Though I know a few people like that, they need to always be working.

Aggregator gang
Cute!

Also, I like the quote from the movie "Ratatouille" in the translator's note this time.

Dex-chan lover
Kiyo is an excellent cook, but she's something of a simpleton otherwise. Since she spends most of her time in the kitchen or shopping for ingredients, she gives everybody an impression of a real professional who really has it together and rarely fails, but I feel like the mother should look after her more.

Dex-chan lover
Tfw your work is your stress relief and taking a break means getting stressed... You just go back to working, lol.

@flameshadowwolf honestly, i'm increasingly getting the feeling that Kiyo's actually something of an Extrovert it just looks really chill. Like the thing that pumps her up and get's her going is interacting with folks and people watching, and it just so happens as a cook for a close group of people that plays to her interests and wants super well.

Though I do think she does need some kind of other hobby but it wouldn't surprise me if Maiko and the whole thing are a special interest for her so it's just like a huge positive feedback loop.

Double-page supporter
I'm starting to feel bad for Kiyo too honestly. She isn't shown to have some kind of life or interest outside of her kitchen. We have seen a good range of emotion from a lot of characters, Suu-chan has many highs and lows, etc. But Kiyo's chapters are always about her cooking something. She looks like she enjoys it but I'd like to see a bit more of who she is underneath, like we see with other characters.

I add ground beef in my version of ratatouille. Not sure it varies that much depending on the region but moreso depending on the family recipe, I'd say.

Dex-chan lover
not warning kiyo that she won't have to fix lunch BEFORE SHE WENT SHOPPING FOR LUNCH is an actual dickmove from Mother, even if she didn't mean it

also, treating her a meal outside once in a while won't kill you, goddamit.

Dex-chan lover
How long does it take to study to be a chef in Japan? Kiyo could become a celebrity or host a culinary TV show.

Dex-chan lover
How much does a house caterer earn in Japan? Kiyo honestly does so much. Even if she's only 16, it seems a bit unfair she getting only a few days off aside food, a bit of pocket money and a place to sleep.

Dex-chan lover
Everyone is always talking about poor Kiyo, but other chapters have showed her sightseeing, and going to different places, buying snacks, meeting the old caterer she replaced for curry, and coffee. She also has a servants heart, and gets satisfaction in providing for others. The chapters are short and it is hard to show her other sides since it is an ensemble cast. I would like to see her make more friends outside the house and see those interactions. My son just moved out and he is 21. He has a career and it is very rare this day and age to have something like that so young. Kiyo has plenty of time to fall in love and have marriage, and kids. I would love to see her study and get certifications for catering so she can spread her wings after Suu leaves the house. I hope the manga runs that long.

Fed-Kun's army
@Elki her chapters have actually relegated Kiyo to a background character. I do not feel that she is integral to the story.

Users who are viewing this thread