Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 17 Ch. 184 - Each of Us, Here and There

Double-page supporter
@Snowicaly So how confident are you that pumpkin is the right squash type veggie? The texture looks a little different than a stringy pumpkin like you would find in the US. Asking as someone who thinks that mixture sounds pretty tasty.

@speedysam0
Not the person you asked, but you could probably do that combination with a variety of different squashes. The drawing looks the most like a buttercup to me (but then, I'm bias towards buttercup squashes, they're my favorite) and looking into it, kabocha also looks similar and is also called "Japanese pumpkin" so maybe try that?
ps - no clue if this is how you do @ or not, so we shall see.

Dex-chan lover
Ankake sounds like a nice quick dish for busy times. Gotta try it. Thanks for the translation!!

I love this manga so much, it have such a good and simple message to it

Dex-chan lover
Man, their friendship is amazing.
It really makes one jealous at times for not having anything even close to that.

This manga makes me miss my friends. Not being able to see them as frequently as I used to sucks; it's always fun to do errands you know will help them out, even if it's something simple, like this.

Group Leader
@speedysam0 I'm definitely not the right person to ask that, haha. I don't think pumpkins, or squash vegetables in general, are very common in northern Europe. @owl2000 seems to know what they are talking about, so go with that advice. 😄

@speedysam0 I would agree, Kabocha Squash is like 98% what I think it is since Japanese cooking does not incorporate the American type pumpkin as much traditionally and like you said, pretty stringy. Kabocha is closer to a smooth sweet potato/chestnut in texture and taste and would be lovely in this application. (as someone who dabbles in cooking)

@speedysam0 if you're curious about cooking with kabocha and afraid you'll have a lot of unused left over, you could make hobakjuk (it's my first dish using kabocha). It tastes like sweet potato and you can adjust the sweetness level. The best point of this warm dish is it's quick and easy to cook :D to match the sweetness I usually eat with (separate) boiled kidney beans. The water added can be adjusted as you wish, also the thickness ~ for me half of kabocha made 3~4 servings of hobakjuk depends on how big the bowl xD

@winterflower18 Ahh, I love kabocha in sweet desserts too. I have never eaten it as a smooth porridge, but in SE Asian cooking it popular to cook it with coconut milk and make a type of rice pudding out of it. Some people also serve it as a vessel for a flan-like custard. It's also one of my favorites just eaten as tempura or again fried SE Asian style alongside bananas!

@traceandtiff I'm also from SEA xD although I never eat it with coconut milk and make a type of rice pudding. Fried food like tempura, I've eaten banana and ubi fritter since I'm a kid ×3 btw what's the name of that dish?

I’m always weirded out by the fact Americans only consider pumpkin good as a dessert thing or soup at best. In Australia it’s very common to have it roasted alongside potatoes for dinner, and I’ve seen pumpkin stir fry and curry in other Asian cultures too.

Though TBF, American pumpkins are specifically bred to be either quite sweet or decorative. I don’t think you can even use American/sugar pumpkin for savoury dishes.

I recommend either Kabocha or butternut pumpkin/squash. Blue or Kent pumpkins are also really good.

You can also steam or roast pumpkin before freezing it, but that takes away the texture aspect sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread