Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 23 Ch. 240 - Another Story

Dex-chan lover
So presumably Momoko was in line to be the next mother, but she probably decided it’s not for her and the current mother end up taking the role of mother, who is I’d say is surprisingly cute when she was younger.

Makes me think of a possible ending where Suu-chan decided to become a manor mother with Kiyo as the kitchenhead, that could be interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Young Momoko and Mother are cute, but no Kiyo's cooking this arc.
The kamis gives and the kamis takes

Dex-chan lover
So presumably Momoko was in line to be the next mother.
I don't think it would have been like that, I think the position of "mother" isn't passed directly from mother to daughter and more "mother" to "daughter".

Any of the girls in the house can become "mother" if the position suits them and they decide as such, it is a position i think would suit the one with the best personality for it.

Momoko became a good sister and is a great Geiko, but I think the job of mother doesn't suit her personality even now, she is incredibly professional but she doesn't seem to have changed much on the personality front.

Azusa on the other hand seems to have a strong will since that time.

But who knows... maybe that is why Momoko doesn't visit the manor much, maybe she did want to become the mother, we will discover this arc.

Dex-chan lover
Wonder when this backstory takes place, one of the tourists in the background has a smartphone.

Dex-chan lover
Ohhhhhh, daughter of the house, huh....

And I'm charmed to find out Mother's one of those girls who had to really make up her mind to be a Maiko all on her own. I wonder if it gives her extra sympathy for girls from a similar background?

Dex-chan lover
Smartphones first came out in 2007 and started becoming widely used around 2010.

Mother is very young. I would place her at around 23-27 max.
Not really. Flip phones like those were around 2003-04. She is closer to 30.

Dex-chan lover
Not really. Flip phones like those were around 2003-04. She is closer to 30.
I'm going on 30 next year. Koyama-sensei is pretty good about drawing flip phones vs smartphones. That looks like a first gen iPhone or even an iPod touch; I got my first iPod touch in 2008, at the age of 15. Flip phones also had their heydays in 2007, especially with the Motorola Razr, but 2008 was more about slider phones, like the LG Scoop or the Samsung Intensity.

Dex-chan lover
I'm going on 30 next year. Koyama-sensei is pretty good about drawing flip phones vs smartphones. That looks like a first gen iPhone or even an iPod touch; I got my first iPod touch in 2008, at the age of 15. Flip phones also had their heydays in 2007, especially with the Motorola Razr, but 2008 was more about slider phones, like the LG Scoop or the Samsung Intensity.
Don't forgot there was a few big slate form factors like the very early LG Prada around 2006. It really is only a matter of a few years so if it isn't a continuity error, and that girl with the phone was a day 1 adopter of a very early slate phone, mother is 32 at the absolute max but more likely under 30.

Dex-chan lover
Don't forgot there was a few big slate form factors like the very early LG Prada around 2006. It really is only a matter of a few years so if it isn't a continuity error, and that girl with the phone was a day 1 adopter of a very early slate phone, mother is 32 at the absolute max but more likely under 30.
Damn I forgot about the Prada.

Users who are viewing this thread