Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Lucoa Is My xx - Vol. 3 Ch. 23 - Shouta and Girls

Novel incoming:

While I like the other Dragon Maid spin-offs, this one really hasn't been doing it for me. I think this chapter is what really solidified the reason in my mind; Lucoa just doesn't really feel like Lucoa to me.

In the main series, Lucoa's teasing/pranking of Shouta never goes past a certain line, and she doesn't keep it up for very long at a time. In addition, she's usually unaffected by him berating her (other than the occasional "Ehhhh?") because obviously she knows he's just a kid, and his cute flustered reactions are part of why she likes him to begin with. On top of this, one of Lucoa's most consistent traits is that she's laid-back; few things tend to bother her very much. And despite obviously being a creature of unfathomable power, she willingly goes along with being Shouta's familiar and regards him as her master. Even with all her teasing, we've seen that she will indeed obey his wishes if he gives her a direct command, like when he orders her to not help him with his magic stomach pains.

So here, it just feels really fucking weird for Lucoa to get legitimately upset over Shouta dismissing her and then force him to spend a whole day as a girl to teach him a lesson about 'girls' feelings'. Since when was she petty like that? Why would she not just laugh it off like she always does? Why would she force him to go through something so uncomfortable for him that lasted all day? I just don't feel like this series truly captures their relationship, honestly. I get that this spin-off is supposed to be more fanservicey than the other series for obvious reasons (which I'm totally fine with), but seeing as it is evidently still canon, I wish I felt like it tied itself in a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread