Kochira Isekai de yoroshikatta deshou ka?

Double-page supporter
I don't know the movie Onward so that summary isn't very helpful...

Dex-chan lover
Literally never heard of Onward until just now. Maybe am updated summary would help.

Also seems like MC is gonna be a lame wimp. Hope this changes.

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
That Description...

I remember Bright! I kinda liked it, but its my understanding that most people didn't.

Dex-chan lover
Oh that’s what onward and bright are about. I saw the movies on netflix (and I think I saw onward on some other service), but I never had interest to watch them and had no idea what they were about. This sounds fairly interesting (all three). I do hope we get an MC that’s a bit more calculating and intelligent to fit the setting (also I might actually watch those now; thanks for the description).

Dex-chan lover
But how is an MC supposed to be smart in an isekai without being able to wow people with the power of crop rotation, soy sauce, and water pumps?

Contributor
@Moraza

It was alright. My main hangup with it was that it was Will Smith playing the same Will Smith character he always plays.

Contributor
Anyway, enjoy the story of the MC realizing that none of his skills from the old world will wow people in this new world because they already invented soy sauce and crop rotation and double-book accounting on their own.

YO DAMN SHOTS FIRED

Dex-chan lover
Could this be the reference in description?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onward_(film)

Dex-chan lover
"Anyway, enjoy the story of the MC realizing that none of his skills from the old world will wow people in this new world because they already invented soy sauce and crop rotation and double-book accounting on their own."

Fucking Sold.

Dex-chan lover
Well, looks interesting and different enough. Didn't even have the hero's twig as a starting weapon either.

Contributor
The fact that it’s just a guy just living a normal life in another world is what has me interested. Too many power fantasies, not enough good ones. This sounds like it could be fun!

Fed-Kun's army
seems good so far. I just hope the MC stops trying to force it to BE an RPG when the world is clearly a parallel. Don't mind the little bits of RPG here and there though.

Oh come on, literally nobody without a mental disability would act like this protagonist. I get that it’s supposed to be a parody, but there are still a bunch of storytelling rules that should be followed if they don’t really offer much outside of the universe it takes place in, which is kinda original but not really, since the description literally tells us straight up that the world isn’t all that original.

For one, making the protagonist a whiny baby just puts off the reader. It really hits you when you realize you’re gonna get stuck with this guy for the entire story. The commentary by a whiny protagonist usually is never funny because the author would try too hard to make it funny. Yeah, it might be “realistic” (not really though. I’d imagine most people, upon being sent to a different universe, would be rather shy and less outspoken due to the fact that there are people who can murder them with a single punch or something. But this is a comedy satire so it gets the pass).

Like, after the first chapter there needs to be a reason why we should care about him, even if it’s a comedy skit type of story that ain’t meant to be taken seriously (which I’m doing by typing out this whole essay). Look at the failure of the Watson and Holmes movie or whatever it was called by making Sherlock Holmes an idiot. There’s nothing that would make the reader particularly interested in a protagonist that’s
(A) technically a racist, considering he judges everyone he’s met by the stereotypes of typical fantasy races that are seen in books and TV. But that’s some SJW crap I don’t want to be associated with. Also, would it actually make him “specist” since elves and ogres aren’t part of the Homo Sapien squad and something else entirely?
(B) A bumbling idiot out of touch with reality. Although it may be funny for some people with the sense of humor of an average baby boomer, it just doesn’t hit the funny bone the same way “Xavier: Renegade Angel” does despite having the most washed up and delusional protagonist to ever exist.

So basically (TBH I have no idea why you would care about my opinion), I think this is a breath of fresh air despite not being original. But I can’t see this going on for very long due to the lack of any real engaging characters and no real foreseeable plot line. And when the characters are flat and the story has no plot, it just falls apart the longer it goes on. If anything, this probably would have done better as a comic strip (like Calvin and Hobbes) or a one shot rather than a full blown manga due to the intense focus on satire and comedy and the lack of...any other element of storytelling.

Characters can make up entirely for the lack of a plot in a story. That’s how it goes with literally every slice of life story. They have no real plot other than occasional mini-arcs, but they’re popular because the characters are well constructed and fun to read about. This manga here just kind of...falls flat with the latter aspect.

Wait, are Japanese comic strips called “4-Koma” or is it just a template for the panels?

Users who are viewing this thread