Kodocha

thank goodness someone's uploading this, absolutely top tier manga

This author's first work that I think is enough to stop here without deciding to continue reading Honey Bitter.
Honey Bitter was a disappointment to me, too bland so I didn't find a comfortable spot to keep up with it.
Also, Kodomo no Omocha was good at the beginning and pretty ridiculous with its slightly dramatic romance development for those who were, in fact, still kids.

I don't remember that much since the last time I read this (maybe around 5-6 years ago?). There are parts that are indeed exciting and challenging, but also most of them are not suitable for re-reading. But the whole is still satisfying.

Dex-chan lover
This is a pretty wacky manga. The old anime is also worth checking out, at least until it goes anime original.

Dex-chan lover
Oh neat this is being uploaded! I read/watched this back in high school. Makes me want to go through it again now

Dex-chan lover
This went on my favourites list back in the day. Oldie but goodie. Yeah, kind of silly in places, but that's part of the charm--it was well done silly.

Dex-chan lover
I remember reading this back almost 20 years ago, great story, great developments, and some pretty nice twists, the way both developed their relationship in the end was amazing.

Thank you to whoever scanned the Tokyopop edition of the manga. It's very impossible to get nowadays on physical (and cheap), and it's quite a shame Viz (especially Viz) hasn't relicensed this series, considering how popular it was back in the day (I say the same thing with my local publishers, though... have been waiting for a relicense of it in my region since 2006).

Compared to the scanlation (which is quite old and remember reading it at first in 2007), just now that I'm rereading the series, I like how much flow you perceive in it (kudos to the person who adapted/localized it in English).. .also, it feels much more complete reading the few bubbles that the scanlators didn't translate in their version 😣. Sure it isn't 100% perfect, either, but it's more... in tone of the series, I suppose.

I also like how in the Tokyopop's version they chose "gigolo" over "pimp" for Rei. Sure, technically, it's on brand that Sana uses a word she doesn't know its meaning (especially because she is a kid), but the adult perception of Rei's "role" is more... similar to what a gigolo is, than what a "pimp" really is.

Hopefully my nostalgia rose-colored sunglasses (heh), don't affect how some stuff of this series still handles well in 2020... (especially the drama... because, oh, the drama).

Wow! Throughout the series, I couldn’t stop my heart from throbbing. Binged it all in a day. I started it thinking it was comedy, about kids, will be light hearted -wrong! (Although it has comedy) . The serious themes in it moved my heart, The cliffhangers ‘n all kept me from putting it down, or taking a break while reading it consistently.
It started with kids, and ended in their youth (not like other mangas, where they grow up in the end). It had an open ending, which can be somehow considered happy, I guess.
But it feels like a story that can have a continuation, or an extra story? But I guess that’s hoping for too much. While reading it, I thought, it was definitely a story that shouldn’t be taken lightly. It was a fun read, and a must-read, in my opinion at least.

Not sure which scan to read, the Tokyopop one is very different from the other.

Edit: The Tokyopop one is easier to read but I'm guessing it isn't very accurate and is changed to suit a western audience if that makes sense.

so mf sad they stopped the anime at 102. I remember when i was 7-8 trying desperately to find the next episodes :( atleast we know the ending in manga form ! Bless

@ArpanaR Not sure if you have already found this already since it has been 4 months since your comment, but this story does actually have a continuation/extra story in the form of https://mangadex.org/title/4361/deep-clear. It tells a story from when the characters are fully grown up and adult, and I feel it gives more closure to the series as a whole.

s13

cna someone recommend to me if I should read the manga or watch the anime? which one is better do you think. also ik the anime didn't adapt everything so if I were to watch the anime id read the manga onwards from there.

@s13
I would reccomend you to read the manga AND watch the anime. Both are quite the same in places, but also they aren't.

The anime is more comedy oriented than the manga, that's for sure, and it has interesting... choices, I think, when expanding some stuff here and there. As you mention, it doesn't adapt everything, however
(the second part of the anime barely got through the final storyline in the manga -the anime ended earlier than when the manga finished its serializing run-, it also has an anime-only arc that happens in New York that, in my opinion, its writing quality varies in some points, including obvious inclusion of toys merchandise in a much more obvious matter than it was before)

If watching the anime (to anyone, really, especially if you live in the U.S.), 2 things though to consider: One, English fansubs' quality of the 2nd part of the anime (episode 52-102) is quite poor in comparison to what is available from the 1st part. And, two, it was recently (December 2020) announced that Discotek Media in the U.S. adquired the full anime series' license, so there's also that if you want to legally support it in the future.

s13

@iris_19 thankyouuu i ended up already reading the whole manga cuz i didnt have the patience T-T but I'm planning on checking out some of the anime too

Users who are viewing this thread