Koisuru (Otome) no Tsukurikata

Dex-chan lover
@orangasli
Trans/homo phobes (though I'm leaning more towards trans in this case; I really get hiura even if it hasn't been made explicit if they are trans) always focus on pointless shit that makes them angry. It's basically the definition of the condition since you have to care about what other people are doing with their lives when it has literally no effect on you..
Since you are focused on pointless shit despite it has literally no effect on you, you are a transphobe? I think party poopers or assholes is more defining terms. I relate to Hiura as well. Fuck, at some point I'm straight up jealous of him (yes, HIM, unless the author or Hiura himself said otherwise). As you said, it hasn't been made explicit, so why making it such a big deal? Can people just have fun reading a cute story about falling in love with their childhood friend without the MC getting labeled as trans?

Dex-chan lover
No joke, Hiura being a boy makes no fucking impact in the story.

It doesnt even have much on trans themes either, Hiura is probably trans btw, but also has no impact on the story either

If you said she was a tomboy or a gloomy girl...

I feel like nothing would change at all?

im kind of sad/surprised that ppl are so upset abt Hiura's gender. (i think i understand tho)

i prefer the fan translations cuz something that i love about this story and the more literal fan translations is how it preserves a lot of the social nuances and little things that trans, cis, or otherwise gender nonconforming person has to deal with in presenting in a gender nonconforming way. it gives hiura a lot of space to be someone who seems himself as a guy at first and grows and explores his gender and sexuality. will they transition in some specific way or not? who knows? and i love that hiura largely has a safe space to explore and be himself.

based on ethylene scan's twitter post + translation review of the first volume, it feels like a lot of that journey along with the confusion and uncertainty and nuances is steam-rolled away under the highly Westernized/"appropriate" narrative of a binary trans person who knew they were trans all along and had clear language and guidance and a manual on exactly the sort of person they need to be/present (im hyperbolizing a bit)! and im not about that.

and, like, ah, the chapter where hiura has to deal with swimsuit designs? like wowee, relatable moment. even if he doesn't have any gender dysphoria or body dysmorphia, he still has to deal with, like, how he wants to dress vs societal expectations, norms, and beauty standards (and it's clear that regardless of the exact reason, it's still a pain point and something he struggles thru), but then the story just goes and hits like "hey you're appearance is unique and y'know, that's not shameful, that's beautiful" and that's really beautiful and heart-warming.

so personally im rooting for a very free-form, non-binary, prescription-less interpretation that celebrates hiura's journey, wherever they might end up. in any case, i think the original story is really compassionate and i think the official localization is kind of a disservice to any person for whom their gender exploration journey isn't neat and tidy.

the story is just so super queer and transy (even if it isn't explicit!) and pro-gender exploration and gender nonconformity and compassionate and nice and heart-warming. i hope that whoever you are, regardless of gender alignment, that you are able to do what makes you happy safely and warmly. it's too sad that people are hurt so much by gender enforcement. i can get why ppl are mad at each other tho. i just hope we can, in the end, appreciate together what a wonderful story this is

bless u all <3

e:

i just wanna share something personal too that makes me love this manga all the more.

it was super relatable when hiura wanted to stop dressing femme for a bit. i don't remember the exact reason why? was it cuz he wanted to affirm his identity? but like, wow, so relatable! the way we can dress can shape how we feel, and how we feel can shape how we dress! it's like, hiura has a part of himself that wants to be cute and femme, and also a part that he doesn't want to lose of himself that doesn't necessarily present that way, but thru it all, he's still himself :)

and it's like, wow, i really feel that, cuz sometimes, dating as a trans femme genderjello nonbinary person do be like that! like, there are days that i'll want to dress super cute and girly, or others that i dress very casual and twinky, and that it can be annoying when someone sees me dressed in one way and only see me in that one way and are surprised or put off when they see that that's not how i dress all the time.

so it's like, sometimes, i just feel like i have to dress way more gender neutral (rarely ever masculine), to really impress on someone/assert myself that im not just some image of an always pretty feminine goddess. most of the time im just a weird fuckin stinky creature!

and it's all-the-more complicated when ppl treat me/you drastically different based on how i/you dress, yknow? and like, one might have wanted to dress some specific way, but one might not want the sort of attention that some ppl might suddenly think is appropriate (especially when the ideas of "appropriate" or not can be so wildly different!). fucked up. smh.

(never mind the times that one might want to dress super slutty and GET ATTENTION!!! but don't cuz ppl are.... too polite??? ^^; it's just like, ahhhh. a constant balancing act. communication can be hard)

but yknow, like, the english localization has the potential to erase all this relatable nuance with the lens they've approached the story with. but i also see how someone might really love their interpretation! so i don't really blame anyone for anything, and i hope we can all understand each other and get along better

Last edited:
So glad this got picked up again! i enjoyed it so much but was sad it stopped, im exited to see where it goes, does anyone knows how many chapters are left of the raws?

Banned
im kind of sad/surprised that ppl are so upset abt Hiura's gender. (i think i understand tho)

i prefer the fan translations cuz something that i love about this story and the more literal fan translations is how it preserves a lot of the social nuances and little things that trans, cis, or otherwise gender nonconforming person has to deal with in presenting in a gender nonconforming way. it gives hiura a lot of space to be someone who seems himself as a guy at first and grows and explores his gender and sexuality. will they transition in some specific way or not? who knows? and i love that hiura largely has a safe space to explore and be himself.

based on ethylene scan's twitter post + translation review of the first volume, it feels like a lot of that journey along with the confusion and uncertainty and nuances is steam-rolled away under the highly Westernized/"appropriate" narrative of a binary trans person who knew they were trans all along and had clear language and guidance and a manual on exactly the sort of person they need to be/present (im hyperbolizing a bit)! and im not about that.

and, like, ah, the chapter where hiura has to deal with swimsuit designs? like wowee, relatable moment. even if he doesn't have any gender dysphoria or body dysmorphia, he still has to deal with, like, how he wants to dress vs societal expectations, norms, and beauty standards (and it's clear that regardless of the exact reason, it's still a pain point and something he struggles thru), but then the story just goes and hits like "hey you're appearance is unique and y'know, that's not shameful, that's beautiful" and that's really beautiful and heart-warming.

so personally im rooting for a very free-form, non-binary, prescription-less interpretation that celebrates hiura's journey, wherever they might end up. in any case, i think the original story is really compassionate and i think the official localization is kind of a disservice to any person for whom their gender exploration journey isn't neat and tidy.

the story is just so super queer and transy (even if it isn't explicit!) and pro-gender exploration and gender nonconformity and compassionate and nice and heart-warming. i hope that whoever you are, regardless of gender alignment, that you are able to do what makes you happy safely and warmly. it's too sad that people are hurt so much by gender enforcement. i can get why ppl are mad at each other tho. i just hope we can, in the end, appreciate together what a wonderful story this is

bless u all <3

e:

i just wanna share something personal too that makes me love this manga all the more.

it was super relatable when hiura wanted to stop dressing femme for a bit. i don't remember the exact reason why? was it cuz he wanted to affirm his identity? but like, wow, so relatable! the way we can dress can shape how we feel, and how we feel can shape how we dress! it's like, hiura has a part of himself that wants to be cute and femme, and also a part that he doesn't want to lose of himself that doesn't necessarily present that way, but thru it all, he's still himself :)

and it's like, wow, i really feel that, cuz sometimes, dating as a trans femme genderjello nonbinary person do be like that! like, there are days that i'll want to dress super cute and girly, or others that i dress very casual and twinky, and that it can be annoying when someone sees me dressed in one way and only see me in that one way and are surprised or put off when they see that that's not how i dress all the time.

so it's like, sometimes, i just feel like i have to dress way more gender neutral (rarely ever masculine), to really impress on someone/assert myself that im not just some image of an always pretty feminine goddess. most of the time im just a weird fuckin stinky creature!

and it's all-the-more complicated when ppl treat me/you drastically different based on how i/you dress, yknow? and like, one might have wanted to dress some specific way, but one might not want the sort of attention that some ppl might suddenly think is appropriate (especially when the ideas of "appropriate" or not can be so wildly different!). fucked up. smh.

(never mind the times that one might want to dress super slutty and GET ATTENTION!!! but don't cuz ppl are.... too polite??? ^^; it's just like, ahhhh. a constant balancing act. communication can be hard)

but yknow, like, the english localization has the potential to erase all this relatable nuance with the lens they've approached the story with. but i also see how someone might really love their interpretation! so i don't really blame anyone for anything, and i hope we can all understand each other and get along better

Why do people like you, want to take away the boyness or Hiura?

He's a boy who likes make up and crossdressing and likes his male friend.

Why do gender obsessed weirdos like you go on about "deconstructing" gender all the while building up new ridgid terms to describe a new type of gender to go by?

You make no sense.

"I hope hiura to be non binary"(meaning he's neither a boy or girl)
the author of this manga most likely doesn't even know wtf that is.

I'm fed up with this gender ideology that thinks it promotes freedom from gender but does the complete opposite.

Dex-chan lover
If this wasn't supposed to be stealth trans story, I wouldn't have guesse had author not made "statement", because even original fan TL gave such impression.

Users who are viewing this thread