Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - Vol. 3 Ch. 19 - Our First Trip 3

Dex-chan lover
Yo Fox, "okaa-san", really?
May I ask why? I'm curious about the train of thought. Onee/Onii-san are more or less accepted cause English doesn't tend to use Sis/Bro as a way of addressing your sibling, so we borrowed it. But as of now I can think of ZERO reasons not to use "Mom".
Otou-san would be a fringe one, maybe? My grandparents did call each other Dad/Mom (in Spanish), but not sure how frequent it's in English. But Mom from a child?

Dex-chan lover
Wellp, that's life. Nothing is as bonding as chuckling together over someone else.
And yeah, he has a wonderful family. Blessed
Dayum, I really like this artstyle. Basically everyone is beautiful. Kyaaaaaa!

@DrFlyxuated delete leading and trailing whitespaces around the link

Dex-chan lover
What a nice and wholesome first time meeting with the family. As it should be.

The sister being a MILF is a surprise, tho.

Group Leader
@Tatherwood It's not really a firm (or consistent) policy, but I'll generally use the English term when they're referring to people, and the Japanese term (if I think enough people are probably familiar with it) when they're directly addressing the person. I do so because I feel that it's more expressive than the English equivalents. For example, one could call their own mother 母上 (hahaue), お袋 (ofukuro), or use お母/母 (okaa/kaa) with さま/さん/ちゃん (sama/san/chan), or use other variants I'm probably forgetting. While English does have a couple equivalents, I personally feel like they aren't good enough. What a person calls their family members is part of an expression of who they are, and potentially quite an important one, in my opinion. It's the same reason I include honorifics, basically. Also, I've never felt that everything needs to be localized, though I'll do so if it's for commercial usage or if someone I'm working with requests it or something. People that read manga are effectively exploring a foreign culture, so why not let them taste some of the language? That said, I probably localize things a little more frequently than back when I'd started, just because my stance has softened a bit (I used to want to be as near literal as possible while still being somewhat natural). Anyway, opinions will vary on this, of course, but I'm the one translating this, so yeah.

Edit: removed extraneous "I'm".

Dex-chan lover
@sleepyfoxscanlations Hm... fair, kinda, I suppose.
See, problem I see (and I say this coming from a translator who also happens to be probably a bit more literal than we should) is that it's a slippery slope. We all know the meme, "everything went according to keikaku", yes?

I mean, as I said, onii-chan makes sense, kinda sorta. And your point on the different ways of addressing your parent is valid. But we also have that in English, or Spanish, or many languages? Mother, Mama, Mom, Mum, Mommy... (Not exactly equivalent translations, but if you catch my drift). "Hahaue" is, I'd say, so uncommon that it may warrant no-translation. But Kaa-sama is a direct Mother. Kaa-san is, I'd say, a direct Mom (mom feels a bit softer, but I'd say they're equivalent in that they're the "standard"). And for Kaa-chan you could go Mum?
You also have a point about "knowing the culture" (that IS one thing that a fansub has an advantadge with when compared to official translations, we can be more flexible with that). But still, where does it end? You actually added a note about almost leaving the "nieces". Really? Okay, then would you leave "brother in law" in Japanese too? Let's also leave "osananajimi" instead of "childhood friend", since that's a VERY common Japanese thing, but I don't think I've ever read it in English outside of manga.
I mean, how many ways to addres the niece/nephew are there? And is it relevant to the story/translation?

Hm... Sorry if I sounded aggressive or pushy, I don't mean to. But I think I mentioned in a past chapter that I happen to be a translator by profession, and have been part of several fansubs myself, so when I see these things I wonder about the thought process of the person doing the work. Figured I'd ask, nothing else.

Group Leader
@Zoldyck123 Thanks for the well wishes, heh.

@Tatherwood It ends where I feel it should end, based on what looks to me to be fairly common knowledge among the English-speaking/reading otaku crowd. It may be a slope, but it's hardly slippery in my opinion. If you think it's a slippery one, just think of me as a mountain goat instead of a fox.

As for that "mum" example, that'd just make me think the translator is British or the character is. Mama is already used in Japanese, so I use mama when the character uses it. As you note yourself, those aren't exactly (actually nowhere near, imo) equivalents.

I won't say you don't sound aggressive, but I understand. And I do remember you mentioning you're a translator. Anyway, I'm happy to explain my thought process as I did previously. Please do consider it explained at this point though.

Dex-chan lover
Happy Holidays @sleepyfoxscanlations hope you all are doing as well as you can be as we head towards the end of 2020!

Thanks for another excellent chapter.
Glad to see Yui was able to fit in perfectly with the Fam it's as if she was already his wife lolol

Dex-chan lover
@sleepyfoxscanlations I mean, "feelings" are hard to convey through text 😅
Unless I'm actually actively trying to be rude, I do check my texts to make sure I don't use rude words or phrases.
But aside from filling the comment up with smileys, I really don't know how to "not sound rude". No matter how much I read it, all I see are points and arguments (where we disagree, ofc), but nothing else...

Anyway, thanks for the replies again, and happy holidays 🎄

Users who are viewing this thread