Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - Vol. 8 Ch. 71 - Losing It to the Fever

Dex-chan lover
Can you explain how that calculation works?
Considering the number of significant digits, that's also room temperature.
Sure! Firstly, I considered some semi-random, stereotypically American variables and started trying to mush them together.

I tried going for Calorie conversions compared to football fields of solar irradiance but ended up just calculating how long it would take for the light of the sun to heat up ~1 imperial ton of water from 0 Kelvin to 38 Celsius (assuming 100% efficiency and using the average solar energy per square meter for a whole American football field). It's almost certain that there's a fair bit of error, especially since I said "approximately 2" in my comment rather than the actual value I calculated (which I unfortunately lost, but was somewhere in the ballpark of 2 minutes, 16 seconds), which itself is definitely a fair bit off.

As for the sun temperature percentage being approximately room temp: while that's correct for the number of digits I showed, it's also slightly more precise than you might think, using an absolute scale. I used Kelvin for both and got 38 C as ~311.15K, and took Wikipedia's value for the surface temperature of the sun as ~5772K. When I divided 311 by 5772 I got 0.0539... which is admittedly about 5.4% rather than the simple 5% (room temperature is about 0.0536, or 5.36%).

All of this was for the purpose of the typical "American units dumb" joke (myself being an American) anyway, so it was never intended to be too exact or well thought out in the first place.
Apologies for making such a long blob of a response. I hope that perhaps it was a enjoyable, or at least tolerable, read.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I tried going for Calorie conversions compared to football fields of solar irradiance but ended up just calculating how long it would take for the light of the sun to heat up ~1 imperial ton of water from 0 Kelvin to 38 Celsius (assuming 100% efficiency and using the average solar energy per square meter for a whole American football field).
The only reason I asked was because the sun temperature calculation was accurate enough to seem correct, rather than random numbers. So I figured this one was as well. Thanks for answering. I've not made calculations on that to confirm, but what I missed was the temperature difference. And yeah, it's a lot more complicated than that, so I'm not even going to try, but it sounds rather fast for that significant of a temperature difference.

Anyway, assuming a 100% energy conversion is not actually wrong for heat transfer in many areas. This is because heat is the "lowest" form of energy, so it doesn't produce much waste energy in other forms (which is interesting when talking about heating elements and heat pumps, but that's a different topic). But there probably would be a large amount of heat bleeding out that reduces the overall efficiency.

As for the sun temperature percentage being approximately room temp:
Makes sense. I got about 15°C or something like that calculating on 5%. That sounds like a big difference from 38°C, but it's only slightly more than a 7% difference, since you have to calculate relative to Kelvin, not Celsius, and that difference accounts for the rounding error.

Apologies for making such a long blob of a response. I hope that perhaps it was a enjoyable, or at least tolerable, read.
Don't worry. It's perfectly fine to go to stupid lengths for a joke just to have it scientifically accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread