Kuriko to Biyori - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Giant Pancake

Dex-chan lover
Something can be gramatically correct and also not the right wording to use for the context, it's also an issue for you to not understand this. You don't stop at something being a coherent sentence when you decide to go with a line for a translation, you have to take into account the nuances that the author intended, characterisation, flow, and a whole bunch of things when you choose to translate something as something. Stopping at "well it doesn't have grammatical issues" is really, really bad.
Sure but it doesn't matter, this isn't the official translation. I'm just happy to be able to read it at all. I'll take what I can get

Group Leader
Sure but it doesn't matter, this isn't the official translation. I'm just happy to be able to read it at all. I'll take what I can get
I'm glad we went from "it isn't that bad because it makes sense grammatically" to "ok it's pretty bad but they aren't the official group". And no, being a scanlator isn't an excuse not to use a working script, you're operating in a legal grey area, reuploading content from the original artist, you're not paying them, you're probably taking from their profits should the series ever get licensed, the least you can do is not shit on the page.

Group Leader
I'm glad we went from "it isn't that bad because it makes sense grammatically" to "ok it's pretty bad but they aren't the official group". And no, being a scanlator isn't an excuse not to use a working script, you're operating in a legal grey area, reuploading content from the original artist, you're not paying them, you're probably taking from their profits should the series ever get licensed, the least you can do is not shit on the page.
My apologies, I wasn't aware that being born in a country where English proficiency is ranked around 60th among non-native English-speaking countries and territories would be seen as a crime that forbids one from translating for fun without profit. I have only just realized that my English is perceived so negatively by someone as esteemed as yourself, sir/madam Bentoki.

I'd like to clarify that throughout our scanlation pages, we have never solicited donations or any form of support. We do this solely for the love of the work.

Reflecting on your words, I'm considering all my life choices, from my place of birth to the fantasy of reincarnating in an English-speaking country or even Japan itself, where English proficiency might be considered inferior to where I'm from. Perhaps I should retreat to my humble, self-constructed hut to master the English language to the point where I am deemed worthy of attending the Department of English at Harvard. I will also immerse myself in studying the nuances of slang, umbrella terms, and various facets of the English language.

And not stopping there, I'll strive to improve my Japanese, since it seems that, to be considered a good translator, I must speak and write Japanese as well, possibly even better than a native. Furthermore, I'll diligently instruct my proofreader to enhance their script-checking skills, even though their learning environment closely resembles mine.

While I await the series to be officially licensed, a timeline that remains uncertain, might I suggest a touch more politeness when delivering critiques of translations? We appreciate your feedback, and both I (the translator) and Myoji (the proofreader) have taken your comments into account. However, the manner in which you convey your feedback is the only aspect we'd rather not consider.

Perhaps you could take inspiration from others who simply offer suggestions like "Mistake (on which page) -> Suggestion," without resorting to what seems like an "almighty, all-knowing, better-than-the-rest" attitude. It's worth noting that you, too, have a certain reputation. If I were in your shoes, I'd be cautious about continuing in this manner, as it can lead to more adversaries than you might anticipate.

On a brighter note, our group won't be continuing this series; a new group will be taking over. We had a brief discussion with them, and they mentioned that this series was put into their reserved projects without our group's prior knowledge. This might be welcome news to you!

To our other readers, please anticipate the next chapter from the new group, and thank you for reading our translation, which has apparently been described as "abominable and atrocious." Rest assured, we've never sought any profit from it, as emphasized by this esteemed "group leader."

To avoid any ambiguities in the future, I encourage you to explore the original work of the author, Yukimoto Shuuji, and the Japanese raw version available on Comic Days.

Group Leader
My apologies, I wasn't aware that being born in a country where English proficiency is ranked around 60th among non-native English-speaking countries and territories would be seen as a crime that forbids one from translating for fun without profit. I have only just realized that my English is perceived so negatively by someone as esteemed as yourself, sir/madam Bentoki.

I'd like to clarify that throughout our scanlation pages, we have never solicited donations or any form of support. We do this solely for the love of the work.

Reflecting on your words, I'm considering all my life choices, from my place of birth to the fantasy of reincarnating in an English-speaking country or even Japan itself, where English proficiency might be considered inferior to where I'm from. Perhaps I should retreat to my humble, self-constructed hut to master the English language to the point where I am deemed worthy of attending the Department of English at Harvard. I will also immerse myself in studying the nuances of slang, umbrella terms, and various facets of the English language.

And not stopping there, I'll strive to improve my Japanese, since it seems that, to be considered a good translator, I must speak and write Japanese as well, possibly even better than a native. Furthermore, I'll diligently instruct my proofreader to enhance their script-checking skills, even though their learning environment closely resembles mine.

While I await the series to be officially licensed, a timeline that remains uncertain, might I suggest a touch more politeness when delivering critiques of translations? We appreciate your feedback, and both I (the translator) and Myoji (the proofreader) have taken your comments into account. However, the manner in which you convey your feedback is the only aspect we'd rather not consider.

Perhaps you could take inspiration from others who simply offer suggestions like "Mistake (on which page) -> Suggestion," without resorting to what seems like an "almighty, all-knowing, better-than-the-rest" attitude. It's worth noting that you, too, have a certain reputation. If I were in your shoes, I'd be cautious about continuing in this manner, as it can lead to more adversaries than you might anticipate.

On a brighter note, our group won't be continuing this series; a new group will be taking over. We had a brief discussion with them, and they mentioned that this series was put into their reserved projects without our group's prior knowledge. This might be welcome news to you!

To our other readers, please anticipate the next chapter from the new group, and thank you for reading our translation, which has apparently been described as "abominable and atrocious." Rest assured, we've never sought any profit from it, as emphasized by this esteemed "group leader."

To avoid any ambiguities in the future, I encourage you to explore the original work of the author, Yukimoto Shuuji, and the Japanese raw version available on Comic Days.
If your english sucks then you just need to work with a proofreader who is good at english and can work with you to get the nuance on the lines down. As it currently reads, it's an ESL mess, not taking donations is good (I don't either) but that doesn't mean that your scripts should be bad.

I hope you are able to improve and find a proofreader who is able to explain to you that people don't speak in the ways that you write your lines down 👍
If you don't appreciate the form in which I'm telling you that you made huge issues in your script, that's absolutely fine! You still have massive issues.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely disagree with you, I still think the translation is good. I just don't care to change your opinion on it, because I think you're being unnecessarily harsh as a bit.

Group Leader
Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely disagree with you, I still think the translation is good. I just don't care to change your opinion on it, because I think you're being unnecessarily harsh as a bit.
So you think that it's fine to use language that nobody speaks in English, just as long as it makes grammatical sense?

Dex-chan lover

You should really just ignore Bentoki, he's the biggest tool in the community.

Dex-chan lover
And thus the precious little cupcake learned the most important lesson of all: better living through chemistry :win:

Dex-chan lover
a bit late to the party but i'm a sucker for this kind of story. and it's only the first chapter yet it already made me cry! bravo! :meguuusad::clap:

Dex-chan lover
This has the potential to be Yotsuba or Baby, Kokoro no Mama ni! tier of excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread