Kusunoki's Flunking Her High School Glow-Up - Vol. 4 Ch. 23 - Congrats on your highschool debut, Shizuki-kun

Dex-chan lover
100% agree shes fake call it what it is and if we put real world logic too this the MC really should just get over it i know its trauma and all but it happened in middle school ive said somethings in middle school that im not proud of but no one i know held it over my head for 4 years maybe its just a different culture situation
Trauma doesn't just go away after a set period of time. There was once a popular parenting strategy to ignore your baby whenever you don't immediately see a need to tend to them called "crying it out," and the emotional neglect caused by being ignored when you're asking for help as a baby, a period of childhood hardly anyone remembers anything about, resulted in long lasting psychological effects well into adulthood. If you think trauma goes away in 4 years without even doing anything like therapy, you're just kidding yourself.

Dex-chan lover
Why is this dude even following her like a dog 😐

Could've literally just ended the conversation at "We have nothing to talk about" 😶
Common animanga plot, cannot fight the mainstream

Dex-chan lover
100% agree shes fake call it what it is and if we put real world logic too this the MC really should just get over it i know its trauma and all but it happened in middle school ive said somethings in middle school that im not proud of but no one i know held it over my head for 4 years maybe its just a different culture situation
In the most respectful way possible, responding to any form of trauma, no matter at which stage in life it is inflicted, with "just get over it" is such an lmfao thing to do.

Dex-chan lover
Trauma doesn't just go away after a set period of time.

No but this what forms people, otherwise if you baby in shielding then from everything what you end up is the current generation, a bunch of self-important manchildren that got used to having their way.

This is also why children are absolute vicious because they are testing the boundaries and why said manchildren are such toxic individuals since that is what we as a society told them to be acceptable, in the older days some good old fashioned smacking would reinforce "thing=bad" were today we just "now, tell me why this was wrong" that just gives the idea if you say "I am sorry" you can get away from anything.

Humans are social creatures and social structure will always exist by default, this is not really about the trauma going away but internally rationalize it to the point it no longer negatively affects you since without that trauma you wouldnt be the person you are, pretty sure we eventually get the story on how she became as she is also due to some trauma.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

Well sometimes there are predators (e.g. snakes) which tend to go after more challenging prey and ignore boring ones even if it dances in front of them.
I guess Hebikawa will just say, "Sorry but I'm not sorry - you really were a nobody back then, but right now, you are my prey"

Aggregator gang
There is some kind of shikonokonokokoshitantan plot? What's her problem i don't get it

Dex-chan lover
He's scared she'll expose his past in school, making him a social outcast again, see chapter 1.
From his perspective she's a mean bitch, talking shit behind others' backs, who might do that just to see him destroyed, and now she's got him by the balls, which was what he was afraid of all along since encountering her.
Blackmail date incoming, calling it now.

I agree with you on this, that's the same excuse some parents use when their kid is bullying someone. "They're just kids". Completely ignoring that someone is being hurt with all of this.
That's the thing. We ARE just kids. You may be saying this as someone who thinks they haven't done anything wrong in life.
But I can say from experience that I've regretted saying a lot of things in general (not just middle school).
In this situation parents weren't involved so she wasn't reprimanded for saying something hurtful, and I hope she somehow apologizes (if she even remembers what she said).
Yes parents using the excuse "they're just kids" is deplorable because it gives excuses to the kid to keep doing stupid shit, but I don't think it's a really good argument to use against the Original Poster observation.

I agree with you on this, that's the same excuse some parents use when their kid is bullying someone. "They're just kids". Completely ignoring that someone is being hurt with all of this.
That's the thing. We ARE just kids. You may be saying this as someone who thinks they haven't done anything wrong in life.
But I can say from experience that I've regretted saying a lot of things in general (not just middle school).
In this situation parents weren't involved so she wasn't reprimanded for saying something hurtful, and I hope she somehow apologizes (if she even remembers what she said).
Yes parents using the excuse "they're just kids" is deplorable because it gives excuses to the kid to keep doing stupid shit, but I don't think it's a really good argument to use against the Original Poster observation.
I'm not really sure where this angle is going and what the point of it is, tbh. It's not like up to this point the author has talked about curing the MC's fear of women or resolving the misunderstanding. Neither character has show much interest in that last one. Like this would be entirely different if the author just included scenes that showed she KNEW who the MC was the entire time and was pinning over a misunderstanding from middle school and wanted to resolve that. Like that could even be a plot point for why she became the female lead's friend. But we haven't gotten any of that. This just feels like it's happening because all of a sudden the author decided the MC deserved a harem (that the character himself hasn't even been written to want) because reasons.

The premise of the Manga is that the MC becomes temporary friends with the Female lead to help her grow into herself, learn how to make friends, and enjoy high school. Of course this can change and grow overtime (I mean none of us expected them to just be "temporary friends"), but that has to be something that happens overtime with the character's revealing what they truly want in scenes and us learning more about the entire main and side casts wants and personalities.

All that said, some of these comments really need to chill out with how they're referring to a high school girl. I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say honestly she hasn't really done anything that bad. She made traumatized the MC in middle school by being your basic middle schooler (and yeah, those are just awful but at the same time that makes sense because they're a mess a hormones, developmental stages, not knowing who they are, desperate to fit in, etc). It really says more about him that that's somehow turned into a whole allergic reaction to all pretty girls (which the Manga barely even mentions anymore). As a high schooler she has shown that she really cares about popularity and keeping up appearances and social cliques, but that's also pretty normal for her age and she's hardly gone full mean girls. I don't think she's a good person to have as a friend and she's incredibly immature (though she doesn't act it, she cares way too much about what the social hierarchy thinks of her and appearances which is again normal for a high school teen). But she's not yet done anything "that" bad in the sense of having long term negative consequences, aside from the MC's trauma which again says more about him.

I say this still not liking her myself and only say it because I'm cringing back in time (and feeling really uncomfortable and worried) at what more than one comment are saying towards a high school girl especially when she again, hasn't exactly slit any throats recently. Honestly calling her "fake" should be enough because that seems to describe her pretty well. I also think a lot of this frustration would be better aimed toward the author.
I really like how the author is portraying this character. Her behavior is extremely realistic (except for the vomit part), and we are mainly seeing her through the lens of the main character's bias. This creates an antagonistic view of her for us as readers, which is further reinforced by her character design. However, she hasn't actually done anything bad so far, aside from the comment she made in middle school, which, as you mentioned, is typical behavior for someone that age. I hope the story doesn't outright antagonize her and that the main character eventually becomes the bigger person, accepting that she has changed over the years, just as he has.

Users who are viewing this thread