Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Ch. 73 - Traces

Dex-chan lover
What they exchanged their children? Wasn't it more of a case of them being switched incorrectly or smth and its kinda alluded to, that Ah Duo child survived (after he was switched) and the empress kid died? Now, it seems like Jinshi was that kid, which means his mom is Ah Duo, which explains their resemblance and isn't he the emperors brother?

Im like too stupid to understand wtf is going on lol
From my impression that was a mutual decision and not just some mishap or one of them acting in secret. As for why, that's the only part that's the only part that is rather ambiguous / not really explored in depth imo. Yes, Ah-Duo's child with the emperor is Jinshi who's now believed to be that very same emperor's brother. That isn't really a spoiler tho or is it :worry:, as it has been hinted at both strongly and more subtle (you'll notice in a few places if you know). I'd suggest re-reading especially volume 4 of the manga. I guess volume 11 is rather insightful as well...

Dex-chan lover
The switch wasn't accidental. The empress dowager enthusiastically agreed to the swap with Aduo, since she couldn't bring herself to love her child with the previous emperor (on account of him, you know, raping her when she was 10). In fact the child in question was conceived violently when she assaulted him out of hatred when she saw him trying to hook up with another young court girl.

Also with respect to the artist, I'm more concerned about the brain aneurysm she was diagnosed with a few months back. The constant repeating of the misinformation that she was arrested for tax dodging is obnoxious though.

Dex-chan lover
to be fair, there are thousands of people in the inner court, people would be like "she probably from the other department"
another reason is xxx
A couple of thousand people is still within the grasp of memory for many, if not most people. Also, any unfamiliar face would have been asked who they work for. Plus we know that clothing alone gives away some of a person's position. And the small talking between the three girls (especially with the chatty friend) absolutely would have covered who she works for. Remember this is a cloistered environment -- very few outsiders in -- other than that, it's a very fixed environment, with relatively little to do. Gossip about anyone and everyone would reign. Any unfamiliar, unknown face would result in multiple people asking "Who's that? Who does she work for? What do you think of her hairdo?" Etc. Etc.

There are logic problems with the spoiler as well. Though it does deal with part of the issue.

Dex-chan lover
My oh my.
I really should have been more suspicious of Shi Sui... Never trust the bug fans!

Dex-chan lover
Frankly, the death of the consort's child wasn't of much importance. In fact, they had no one attending her (the consort Ah-Duo) because they priorised the empress' child's birth.
Officially, the child who died was Ah-duo's child, which was the child of the crown prince, and so would be next in line after the crown prince takes power. So... still pretty important. It's just that the child of the current empress took precedence over that.

BTW, officially Jinshi is the younger brother of the current emperor, which (I would assume) would make him next in line if the current emperor dies w/o male offspring. (Until recently, when a male offspring was born.)

Unofficially, Jinshi is actually (we're assuming) the child of Ah-duo, which makes him next in line.

Though of course very few people know that Jinshi (the supposed eunuch) is actually the "younger brother" of the emperor. And even fewer(?) know that the "younger brother" is actually "first born son".

This is confusing.

Aggregator gang
Basically, there were three big things that went wrong in the inner palace surrounding the births:
  1. Ah-Duo lost her fertility due to severe complications. She was only a concubine, and to the teenage crown prince, but that’s still something for the court to be worried about. This dynasty doesn’t have a lot of living members, and the emperor’s only just had his second child, 15 years or more after the first.
  2. The babies apparently got switched. Highly irregular.
  3. The baby in the Garnet Pavilion died, likely from Fengming’s honey. Like the chapter said (and Ah-Duo herself in Fengming’s flashback), this happens — almost half of all babies born in the US in 1800 didn’t make it to their 5th birthday. But again, he was in the line of succession, and imperial males don’t grow on trees.
I’ll admit, I’m not quite sure if it was any specific one of these that led to Luomen’s two punishments (being fired and losing his kneecap), or the aggregate of two or all three together. It probably would’ve been the then-empress-dowager who made the call (she did order him made a eunuch in the first place), but if she found out about the swap, that definitely wouldn’t be on the books as part of Luomen’s offense. Hell, for all we know, she could’ve had ANOTHER reason for wanting him gone, and been using everything else as an excuse. (She’s been dead for years, but conceivably we could still learn more about her beyond “you really didn’t want to mess with her”).

…You know, I’m wondering which of the two babies would’ve been more valuable in the empire’s eyes. They’re the same age, so neither can be expected to become a capable ruler sooner, in the event both the emperor and the crown prince die, but under normal rules Ah-Duo’s son would precede the other in the line of succession. So… maybe some would consider the swap a blessing in disguise? On the other hand, Luomen having to leave Ah-Duo makes it clear the emperor’s son was treated as a higher priority than his grandson.

Double-page supporter
The switch wasn't accidental. The empress dowager enthusiastically agreed to the swap with Aduo, since she couldn't bring herself to love her child with the previous emperor (on account of him, you know, raping her when she was 10). In fact the child in question was conceived violently when she assaulted him out of hatred when she saw him trying to hook up with another young court girl.

Also with respect to the artist, I'm more concerned about the brain aneurysm she was diagnosed with a few months back. The constant repeating of the misinformation that she was arrested for tax dodging is obnoxious though.
Damn, but who suggested the child swap tho? Ah-duo?

Double-page supporter
Officially, the child who died was Ah-duo's child, which was the child of the crown prince, and so would be next in line after the crown prince takes power. So... still pretty important. It's just that the child of the current empress took precedence over that.

BTW, officially Jinshi is the younger brother of the current emperor, which (I would assume) would make him next in line if the current emperor dies w/o male offspring. (Until recently, when a male offspring was born.)

Unofficially, Jinshi is actually (we're assuming) the child of Ah-duo, which makes him next in line.

Though of course very few people know that Jinshi (the supposed eunuch) is actually the "younger brother" of the emperor. And even fewer(?) know that the "younger brother" is actually "first born son".

This is confusing.
Oh, that actually made sense. So he's pretending to be the current king's younger brother, but is in reality his son, right? How many know that truth, does the emperor even know?

Dex-chan lover
Oh, that actually made sense. So he's pretending to be the current king's younger brother, but is in reality his son, right? How many know that truth, does the emperor even know?
The author avoids stating any of this directly. Even Jinshi actually being the Emperors brother has not been stated directly, but only implied. As for him actually being the Emperor's son, that we mainly just have Maomao's theory, which she then discarded. Well, that plus his remarkable resemblance to Ah-duo.

I'm not sure that Jinshi knows that Ah-Duo is his mother. I think that he suspects and maybe wants it to be true, but doesn't actually know. OTOH, if she is standing in for him at meetings (though with a mask), then the resemblance has got to be pretty intense.

Double-page supporter
The author avoids stating any of this directly. Even Jinshi actually being the Emperors brother has not been stated directly, but only implied. As for him actually being the Emperor's son, that we mainly just have Maomao's theory, which she then discarded. Well, that plus his remarkable resemblance to Ah-duo.

I'm not sure that Jinshi knows that Ah-Duo is his mother. I think that he suspects and maybe wants it to be true, but doesn't actually know. OTOH, if she is standing in for him at meetings (though with a mask), then the resemblance has got to be pretty intense.
I see, thats true. But is jinshi the current emperor's son or was it the previous ones? Cuz the current emperor doesnt look to be too old, and if he is indeed his son, i think the only one who truly knows might be Ah-duo and Luomen....

Dex-chan lover
I see, thats true. But is jinshi the current emperor's son or was it the previous ones? Cuz the current emperor doesnt look to be too old, and if he is indeed his son, i think the only one who truly knows might be Ah-duo and Luomen....
Jinshi is the current emperor's son via Ah-duo. As for age, I'd guess that the emperor is mid-thirties.

Dex-chan lover
mao mao is being captured , so i guess right now , she is being r*ped by 69+ men , lol .

page 6 :
  • jin shi : ruo men is going to be my future father-in-law , because im going to marry mao mao , lol . ruo men was blamed for the death of the current emperor 's 1st child ...
  • me : a reminder : the current emperor 's 1st child was dead because some old fat maid gave him honey , and it was poisonous to him .

now i want to talk about this :

La kan ( 羅 漢 , Ra kan) : he is mao mao 's biological father.

Luo men ( 羅 門 , Rwo men) : Maomao's adoptive father.

these 2 peoples have the same family name 羅 , so why it has 2 spellings : Ra and Rwo ?

---------------

• jin shi : my 69 minions , i will give you a very important mission : go all over the rear palace , and search for ... a little cat .
  • minions : are you bloody kidding us ? ( later ) ... we found the cat near the wall ...

Users who are viewing this thread