Kusuriya no Hitorigoto ~Maomao no Koukyuu Nazotoki Techou~ - Vol. 6 Ch. 24 - Lady of Moonflowers

Contributor
Renshi/Jinshi's been living like this for 6 years. He is 19 now, pretending to be 25. That means he started living this life at 13. A 13 year old pretending to be 19, to manage the emperor's harem. That's fucked up.
I know we want to think that way these days, but it was only about a century ago that children did some pretty dangerous work that we would consider adult only. Many were considered adult by that age and were required to take on adult duties and jobs.

Dex-chan lover
Page 21 has several cute cats. He knows her so well. She'd take a poison for fun.

Also page 25. The two faces of Maomao.

Some casual pretty guy reveals. Some sort of known already, but this is in plain text.

She's a good servant to send when you don't want to advertise that you're giving someone a medical checkup and observation.

the emperor's harem. That's fucked up.
There are so many fucked up things about that place, so a low age of someone thrust into a leadership position isn't the worst of it, and doesn't stand out much in context. In many cases like these it was also expected that he'd get an advisor who'd do most of the work in his name as well.

thank you for the translation 🙏 love this chapter renshi's little age reveal moment a lot. I think it adds a lot of good context behind his behavior/why he is the way he is with our beloved catcat!

Fed-Kun's army
I know we want to think that way these days, but it was only about a century ago that children did some pretty dangerous work that we would consider adult only. Many were considered adult by that age and were required to take on adult duties and jobs.
Just because things were worse then, doesn't make it ok. My moral/ethical/sympathetic judgement now does not depend on what was permissible in the context of the story.

And at the same time. There is no version of this where a 13 y/o is ready to do this kind of work, not even in a world where teenagers are considered "adult enough".

Fed-Kun's army
There are so many fucked up things about that place, so a low age of someone thrust into a leadership position isn't the worst of it, and doesn't stand out much in context. In many cases like these it was also expected that he'd get an advisor who'd do most of the work in his name as well.

No, but on a re-read/different version read through new things jump out. I've had my time to adjust to how I feel about the previous emperor, women being sold into sex work, physical or chemical castration - and the implications that the current emperor's outlawing of the practice has on the future of the rear palace - the way people are punished for events beyond their control, the political machinations... Renshi's age at the start of his work as the one to "tend his brother's flower garden" jumped out at me this read-through.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, but even just from a practical point of view, it should be pretty hard for a 13 years old boy to pass as 19.

====================================

Isn't it Gaoshun's daughter who had a child?

Contributor
Renshi/Jinshi's been living like this for 6 years. He is 19 now, pretending to be 25. That means he started living this life at 13. A 13 year old pretending to be 19, to manage the emperor's harem. That's fucked up.
He is on puberty blockers since he is 13

Dex-chan lover
Huh- so that age discrepancy might be why he can pass as a eunich. He's been taking this drug since he was 13, and being younger then he's supposed to be would make him seem even more effeminate.

rough.

Users who are viewing this thread