Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 11 Ch. 58 - His Former Majesty (Part 3)

Dex-chan lover
So, a bit of speculation here from something I just noticed while rereading and made me think...
In page 9, the Empress says there's a girl, daughter of one of the consorts, who was banished. Could that have been Fon Shen, Mao Mao's mother? From what we know of her back from Ch 37, it's implied she was raised in Hanamachi, and that her "not having a mother" was because of Hanamachi's rules against courtesans being mothers. But it's not stated explicitly, and early on the implication was that she was dead, so we've been misled by "technically true" statements before...
Also, it would kinda fit with Ch 54's ending. "Some people wouldn't be pleased with [Mao Mao being taken as a consort]" could be because she's basically a commoner, or because things would get really messy if someone found out about her lineage...
Furthermore, the novel's author, Hyuuga-sensei, seems to like surprising the readers and setting stuff like this up. For example, Ruo Men being Rakan's uncle, and thus actually a blood relative of Mao Mao's. So it wouldn't be surprising to get something like this.
Or maybe I'm going too far, I don't know.
yo.... wouldn't that be incest then??

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
So, a bit of speculation here from something I just noticed while rereading and made me think...
In page 9, the Empress says there's a girl, daughter of one of the consorts, who was banished. Could that have been Fon Shen, Mao Mao's mother? From what we know of her back from Ch 37, it's implied she was raised in Hanamachi, and that her "not having a mother" was because of Hanamachi's rules against courtesans being mothers. But it's not stated explicitly, and early on the implication was that she was dead, so we've been misled by "technically true" statements before...
Also, it would kinda fit with Ch 54's ending. "Some people wouldn't be pleased with [Mao Mao being taken as a consort]" could be because she's basically a commoner, or because things would get really messy if someone found out about her lineage...
Furthermore, the novel's author, Hyuuga-sensei, seems to like surprising the readers and setting stuff like this up. For example, Ruo Men being Rakan's uncle, and thus actually a blood relative of Mao Mao's. So it wouldn't be surprising to get something like this.
The banished daughter is the mother of Suirei, the woman who tried to assassinate Jinshi. She was exiled from the rear palace together with Luomen's predecessor as court physician.

Dex-chan lover
So the former emperor has a pobhia of grown up women but not underage girls? And thus he became a pedo?

Dex-chan lover
So the former emperor has a pobhia of grown up women but not underage girls? And thus he became a pedo?
Seems like he's scared of his mother who is a woman that had constantly controlled him and put him in the highest seat - one he never yearned for. So the only example of a grown woman was a scary, controlling figure.

And something that isn't a scary, controlling figure is not a grown woman (a child (fucking yikes)). And he probably got on a power trip of "They can't control me since a child should always obey the grown people", perpetuating- nay, worsening the abuse. At the end of the day, he is traumatized yes... But he's still a dog damned paedo that deserves his death.

Funnily enough, the empress forcing him into bed probably reinforced his trauma of grown women controlling him. Not like I care because no matter his trauma, reasoning, excuses you could make, he's still a disgusting subhuman that tortured many children for his own sick and twisted enjoyment/lust.

Yeah, I really hate this mofo... And I really enjoy dissecting sick mofo's reasons for their actions.

Aggregator gang
While the late emperor backstory's sad, he's still disgusting, making a 10 year old girls pregnant (leaving a scar in the process of labor), then act like she's not needed anymore by making another 10 year old girl as a consort, no wonder she resorts to raping him

Uhmmm. I don't know how to feel about this chapter. First of all about Jinshi, the empress said she just let people think whatever they wanted about her son as way to protect him, since if most people think he was an illegitimate son, he wouldn't suffer assassination attempts or so.

I'm not trying to defend the former emperor, but him being afraid of women it could actually being to a trauma and resent he had for his mother, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a pedo and he hurt all those little girls and actually I hate how the empress dowager saw him in Jinshi. Whatever that was supposed to mean I think it was like a hint that he's still part of her blood, either his son or grandson.

Ok spoilers ahead be warned...
A little backstory is needed to get the family tree so here it is:
The old enpress regnant had a son (the pedo) given his mother controlling tendencies he developed a trauma against grown women because he was afraid of them, little girls being the exception since they couldnt possibly overpower him, and so they became his go to prefered taste in companions. Given this he conceived a child with the now dowager empress (the empress lady in the chapter) of this union the current emperor was born.
Years later lady Ah duo and the current emperor conceived a child at the same time his mother (the dowager empress) SA the previous emperor and as result she also conceives a child (her 2nd son).

So now we have 2 pregnant women lady Ah duo and the empress, as bad luck would have it both women give birth at the same time, but the empress being of a higher rank got preferencial treatment which caused lady Ah Duo to loose her uterus, but both babies were born more or less ok.

And here is the spoiler**** lady Ah duo knew that if anything happened again her son would get the short end of the stick given the fact not only he was the next in line for the throne after his father, but also becoming a main target for assassination (royal babies often are) meanwhile the empress 2nd son would always get better care and would be more protected because everyone would be looking at the current emperor's children rather than his sibling, so she decides to switch the babies, making sure her and the emperor's son would be raised as his brother by the empress dowager while the empress dowager's son would be raised by her instead (something that didnt happened anyways since he died from the poisoned honey)

So Jinshi really is the current emperor and lady Ah duo's son that survived under a diferent identity being raised by his grandmother the empress dowager

Dex-chan lover
An oppressive mother hen who wouldn't let her child leave the nest. The meek child became fearful towards its mother and subsequently feared adult women due to trauma. An innocent and gentle child knocks on the door of his pedophilic nature. Outweighing oppressive vs. innocent or gentleness, he finds comfort in young girls company.

The lesson is be a good mother.

Last edited:
page 5 : it is funny that the young previous emperor looks like an alternate version of jinshi .

page 12 :
  • previous emperor : you old , ugly hag , i dont like you anymore . now i like this little girl more , she is more younger , more prettier than you , lol , lmao , ha ha ha .
  • empress : now im mad . and it has been many years since the last time that i had some love-making , so now i will drag you to bed .

in the past , the hobby of the mother of jinshi was getting rid of his favorite toys .
now , will she also get rid of mao mao , the new toy of him ? lol .
you summerized it perfectly lmao.

Thank you for the translation (even saying the former Emperor was a "joke of a man" is an understatement. He really was the whole damn circus through and through).
Empress dowager to the former emperor:
Edgeworth says it like it is. | Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney | Know ...

Bruh I never caught on to how Ruomen has a blood relation to Maomao.

I know it's adult Jinshi and child Jinshi but they look like a parent and a son here.

Dex-chan lover
I thought he was her son too.
He is her son.

Luomen (Mao Mao's dad) attended the Empress's birth. He was supposed to be with Ah Duo, but couldn't because the Empress takes precedence over a mere prince's consort. So here's how it went:

1. Ah Duo goes into labor. Luomen attends her.
  2. Dowager Empress goes into labor. Luomen is forced away. Second Prince, the Emperor's brother, is born.
  3. Ah Duo's labor is hard. She loses her ability to get pregnant.
  4. Ah Duo has Jinshi and the Second Prince switched out. She knows Jinshi will get better care and will grow up safer.
  5. Luomen loses his kneecap here for not noticing the switch. It was mentioned around chapters 16-20 (more or less.)
  6. Fongming feeds the Second Prince honey and accidentally kills him. Ah Duo is upset because she accidentally has killed her brother-in-law, not her own son--if anyone found that out, she would've been killed.
Make sense?

• Helpful
Aggregator gang
He is her son.

Luomen (Mao Mao's dad) attended the Empress's birth. He was supposed to be with Ah Duo, but couldn't because the Empress takes precedence over a mere prince's consort. So here's how it went:

1. Ah Duo goes into labor. Luomen attends her.
  2. Dowager Empress goes into labor. Luomen is forced away. Second Prince, the Emperor's brother, is born.
  3. Ah Duo's labor is hard. She loses her ability to get pregnant.
  4. Ah Duo has Jinshi and the Second Prince switched out. She knows Jinshi will get better care and will grow up safer.
  5. Luomen loses his kneecap here for not noticing the switch. It was mentioned around chapters 16-20 (more or less.)
  6. Fongming feeds the Second Prince honey and accidentally kills him. Ah Duo is upset because she accidentally has killed her brother-in-law, not her own son--if anyone found that out, she would've been killed.
Make sense?

I need to check the corresponding chapter of point 6 but this seems pretty much the whole gist of the switcharoo drama according to the latest chapter

Users who are viewing this thread