Kyou, Eki de Mita Kawaii Onna no Ko. - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
What an era to live in (a shame for the pens, trends go and fade), where high-school boys become this sophisticated. Maybe it's time to come back to high-school?

Aggregator gang
I have some on my desk actually. Got them in Japan about 8? years ago, can't

They feel like low-tier gel pens, not as good as Pilot G2 or Pentel Energel, much worse than the Sakura Gelly Roll pens I like. Closest I have on my desk feels like a Pilot FriXion, which is erasable as a tradeoff for its bleh feel.

Ink dries in about 10 seconds (on 80 gsm paper), isn't waterproof (after 10 minutes), and is pretty vibrant.

I don't have the full set on my desk (or at all anymore probably), but the citrus & lavender ones have no scent, while the mint still has a very faint mint scent.

Dex-chan lover
'give me 5 mil' lol. can't go wrong with cute gel pens, it feels kinda like an ad despite the 'discontinued' note
I wonder why the pens were discontinued
I imagine most companies other than the 'cutesy' mascot companies like Hello Kitty wouldn't prioritize pretty gel pens over normal but i wouldn't be surprised if some were 'limited edition' as a way to get some temp uptick in sales or a 'collab' with some other anime/cute mascot charas lol, but i imagine in japan it wouldn't be hard to find good and cute pens (although hopefully the inside ink would still be good quality versus just a nice looking 'set'/collection, it'd only be disappointing/frustrating if they sold some exclusive 'unique' color that most pens don't come in lol)

Dex-chan lover
I have some on my desk actually. Got them in Japan about 8? years ago, can't

They feel like low-tier gel pens, not as good as Pilot G2 or Pentel Energel, much worse than the Sakura Gelly Roll pens I like. Closest I have on my desk feels like a Pilot FriXion, which is erasable as a tradeoff for its bleh feel.

Ink dries in about 10 seconds (on 80 gsm paper), isn't waterproof (after 10 minutes), and is pretty vibrant.

I don't have the full set on my desk (or at all anymore probably), but the citrus & lavender ones have no scent, while the mint still has a very faint mint scent.
the concept of scented pens seems like they'd be aimed at kids /younger teens who'd write/draw on each others arms but i imagine the cutesy ones even with bright colors prolly just focus more on the 'gimmick' of it rather than being used for like fancy calligraphy or so

guess it would make writing letters to friends more fun, and note taking altho i'd rather just keep them for personal stuff, tho i didn't got o a school where you actually had to 'turn in' notes versus just like taking a test which everyone used pencil for lol

Aggregator gang
the concept of scented pens seems like they'd be aimed at kids /younger teens who'd write/draw on each others arms but i imagine the cutesy ones even with bright colors prolly just focus more on the 'gimmick' of it rather than being used for like fancy calligraphy or so

guess it would make writing letters to friends more fun, and note taking altho i'd rather just keep them for personal stuff, tho i didn't got o a school where you actually had to 'turn in' notes versus just like taking a test which everyone used pencil for lol
I bought some other scented pens on the same trip that were much nicer writing pens, but I think you might have a point about the writing on arms.

Pens made for skin tend to write poorly on smooth paper, but I obviously longer have the packaging to see if it's mentioned at all. I did think the poor water performance was off considering most gel pens are fine (or even archival), but it would make sense if they are designed to wash off without getting ink all over.

Though gel pens don't tend to work well on skin, smudgy.

I think they were just made cheaply compared to the nicer pens even though they cost more.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder why the pens were discontinued
Heres the think most people who care about the pens they use aka every kid in a 3rd world country would rather have a pen that runs smooth as butter or a 25 cent 10 pack pen(yes you can get them today for 25 cents) I personally really like luxor pens or pilot friction pens(higher end ones for both) because how well they glide while writing so there's no real place for fancy looking pens when you can buy a highlighter and run a better/cheaper pen with it. Also if you were in the pen trading scene like me these pens don't hold their value at all if you tried to trade these for a proper pen you would likely be laughed at. Also another thing in my opinion the best pen I ever used was a parker fountain pen of some sort I got it as a gift and for some reason even though it was heavy it worked so well.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I bought some other scented pens on the same trip that were much nicer writing pens, but I think you might have a point about the writing on arms.

Pens made for skin tend to write poorly on smooth paper, but I obviously longer have the packaging to see if it's mentioned at all. I did think the poor water performance was off considering most gel pens are fine (or even archival), but it would make sense if they are designed to wash off without getting ink all over.

Though gel pens don't tend to work well on skin, smudgy.

I think they were just made cheaply compared to the nicer pens even though they cost more.
Given how japan has a whole 'kawaii' subculture wouldn't be surprised if there were amazing quality pens on top of being scented/glittery tho pricey but i imagine there would be some 'face paint'/skin safe markers or stickers that ppl also use for fun too versus just writing, and a little bit of a splurge for like an elementary kid's allowance but cheaper than like actual face makeup

Also if ur reading this imo this pen is the best writing pen for the cost https://www.pilotpen.com.sg/product/frixion-ball/ it works very nicely and is decently priced id recommend giving it a go since rollar ball's in my opinion are better than gel pens.
i mean idk how it is in Japan (you might get more scolded in class if you're just doing everything in rainbow notes versus personal notes), but as a kid i just bought gel pens as an 'extra' b/c they were 'cute'/colorful versus being good to write with, other wise i just went with a basic common black ink one that was helpful for school (tho most ppl stuck with pencils b/c erasable, and a lot of tests were done on scantron lol)

tho i wonder how many students have used those 80 dollar 'bolt action' pen tho given the price /name i'd half expect it to be a weapon b/c i feel like i saw an ad for a pen that could 'break glass in emergencies' but idk how often someone would get into that emergency but i would not risk using that and having to deal with the damages/payment if i do break someone's window

Dex-chan lover
Given how japan has a whole 'kawaii' subculture wouldn't be surprised if there were amazing quality pens on top of being scented/glittery tho pricey but i imagine there would be some 'face paint'/skin safe markers or stickers that ppl also use for fun too versus just writing, and a little bit of a splurge for like an elementary kid's allowance but cheaper than like actual face makeup
Well yeah I'm not from japan,im not a girl and I didn't have allowance at my school we liked gender equality and we equally shat on anyone who bought a overpriced product and no shop sold anything overpriced per say either also with school rules outlawing stuff like face makeup hell we werent even allowed stickers now imagine japan which has so called "strict schools"
i mean idk how it is in Japan (you might get more scolded in class if you're just doing everything in rainbow notes versus personal notes), but as a kid i just bought gel pens as an 'extra' b/c they were 'cute'/colorful versus being good to write with, other wise i just went with a basic common black ink one that was helpful for school (tho most ppl stuck with pencils b/c erasable, and a lot of tests were done on scantron lol)
rainbow notes were encouraged the teachers liked when everything wasnt a pain and also we were not allowed ball pens which im glad for because ball pens dont run good. I hate pencils mostly bc the sound hurts my ears also whats a scantron?
tho i wonder how many students have used those 80 dollar 'bolt action' pen tho given the price /name i'd half expect it to be a weapon b/c i feel like i saw an ad for a pen that could 'break glass in emergencies' but idk how often someone would get into that emergency but i would not risk using that and having to deal with the damages/payment if i do break someone's window
That bolt action pen sucks its too heavy for a pen sometimes weight helps but not in that case also back where im from having rare/good writing pens was a status symbol which is why we splurged 2 dollars(might not sound like alot but most of us didnt have allowance and had to ask our parents)

Dex-chan lover
rainbow notes were encouraged the teachers liked when everything wasnt a pain and also we were not allowed ball pens which im glad for because ball pens dont run good. I hate pencils mostly bc the sound hurts my ears also whats a scantron?
Scantrons are basically what we took tests on, they were multiple choice answers we colored in with a no.2 pencil and they would 'scan' them through a machine to score versus manually going over our answers lol

Group Leader
Scantrons are basically what we took tests on, they were multiple choice answers we colored in with a no.2 pencil and they would 'scan' them through a machine to score versus manually going over our answers lol
To be specific Scantron is company that supplies OMR scanners and Optical Answer Sheets(OAS for short). What you are talking about are exams that use OMR or Optical Mark Recognition. In these exams OAS is used which is later scanned by an OMR scanner like ones from scantron. It's used very widely where I live consdering exams can sometime go above 100,000+ examinee.

Last edited:
When i was yonger, like 14y ago when i had like 10yo i buyed the Cyan Ones to use cause i hate the Black/Red/Navy Blue Ones, on Highschool too but i had them too cause my school only accept tests in Blue/Black, and after i entered College i had to stop using cause peoples were already so mean, that if i did something it would be another thing to then bully me
(Also, Damn im becoming f old...)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
"I went to a hardcore all boys school"
"Also the girl I went to school with used those pens"
A little bit of an inconsistency here.

Dex-chan lover
OK, I just realized that the concept of scented stationery may be weird for people not in Japan's cultural sphere. Scented pens are not very common, but most stationery sold for use by girls in Japan are scented. These include scented paper, notebooks, envelopes, file folders, erasers, pencils, pencil cases, rulers, markers, crayons, and so on.
"I went to a hardcore all boys school"
"Also the girl I went to school with used those pens"
A little bit of an inconsistency here.
Er, no. The elementary school flashback kinda explains it. Basically, there are no all-boys elementary schools in Japan. You simply can't establish one. So he would have had female classmates in elementary, which is when basically every girl's stationery sets would be scented. Junior high and high school girls tend to stop using those products, although the more girly ones might still do so.

I remember in '80s manga that a male protagonist receiving a love letter on scented paper was a special thing, although to be fair this was mostly played as a gag.

Users who are viewing this thread