Kyou mo E ni Kaita Mochi ga Umai - Vol. 3 Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
Time to see the authors secret/hidden fetished!
...Though it seems to be yaoi, considering that last panel (+ the utter lack of overly sexualized female chars so far - or at all I suppose).
Insane.. 10 chapters in and not a single waifu. only bromance.
I am starting to think it might just be that type of story. Which, tbf, I won't mind as at least it should cut out all that stupid unnecessary obligatory fan-service most isekais feel obligated to include. (...Or it will still be there, but even worse :p)
C'mon... this is an isekai that really didn't need to introduce the whole slavery angle at all. The kid can literally summon anything he wants just by drawing it to the point that he summoned a fricken dragon using his blood and desperation.

I'm surprised he doesn't just draw himself a maid or something and make a companion rather than literally buying a slave.
Yeah, him drawing a waifu was the first thing I expected to happen (in terms of introducing new chars.

The problem with that is it would deviate the primary plot of the story.
Most of the core story have some reasoning behind using Slaves, be it quick & easy access to
  • harem member, or
  • party members were trust can be an issue (trust is one of the primary reasons why Slavery is heavily used in Isekai series).
You mean the problem with NOT justifying slavery so that the main character can feel good with it? As I said, my biggest issue is unnecessary slavery apologetics, it wouldn't be as terrible if the main character at least accepted that it was morally bad. There are a lot of ways to justify a person doing something they believe to be bad (greater good, "just following the social norms in the new world", or even just having them feel like their participation isn't significant enough to matter and ending slavery is out of their reach anyway would be better), you don't have to have them crusade against it or even voice that opinion to others (if people in their environment don't see the problems).

And as I mentioned, "slavery because of trust issues" - especially in a world with some magical enforcement of this - is IMO an interesting setup.
But you have to acknowledge the trust issues are, you know, issues, and it's not actually good for the slaves to be involuntarily put into a dangerous line of work.
Well, while Slavery is historically heavily associated with discrimination atleast in the West, it's sort of different situations in the East.
As there wasn't really a concrete concept of Slavery in the East.

[ I might be wrong with what I say here as i am not an expert in history. ]
Most of the time it was more to do with Domination or Forced work (without restricting the personal independence of the person) than with Slavery.
What it meant was a person was forced to heavily work with really minimum wages (no wage work was really rare), but they were free to do whatever they wanted when not in work. People also used corporal punishment as a form of showcasing domination, but to local people that effect is bound to the person/people doing the dominantion rather than the system.

Like my origin country has a history of being under British rule for 90 years, and been under different invader rules for over hundreds of years before that. So in case of my history, you can say that the whole country was basically slaves to the invaders in a way.

And to most people here, Slaves wasn't a Concepts they they knew about, as the wording is used differently here (here the concept used meant "to serve", be it forced or consensual, and the concept of "to serve" is usually seen in high regards in here since ancient times so many did it consensually).
And most of the time, slaves weren't seen here, but rather people were sent from here to other parts of the world to work as slaves.

In all, the olden concept of Slavery in the East isn't that different from what we have with Modern Slavery in the form of Corporate Slaves, Forced Labor, Domestic Servitude, etc, which are usually ignored as they all come with monetary gain in some form and amount. So, to most Eastern people Slavery in a way still exists and in so common that it's part of life.

If I am right, there never was any Anti-slavery movement in the East either, as slavery as concept was abolished before long.
This is why, Japanese Author have no issue in using Slavery as a Concepts in series with medieval setting, nor do they try any Reforms system in the plot, as to most Author the concept meaning is different from what they know unlike how they understand in the West (only those Author who had read about Western history try to add reform movement within the story, like "Realist Hero" series for example).

Maybe this would give a better idea regarding what Japanese Author think about, than my rant (which might be full of errors).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Japan
The thing is, most of Europe "banned slavery" even earlier than Japan, though it returned more officially when colonialism started. Even England "banned slavery" by the 12th century.

The thing is, a lot of early abolitionism is just changing who can be a slave and rebranding.
Japan very much had slavery. The not even hidden, inherited kind of slavery (though at least their slaves had some personal property rights and could marry, which wasn't the case everywhere - part of their issue with Portuguese slave trade), before the 16th century.
One of the arguments of Portuguese slave traders was that they were buying slaves in Japan legally, and they shouldn't be prohibited from doing what's legal there (and obviously another was that they were treating the slaves better than if they stayed there, because everyone always argued they were treating slaves well and it was actually good for them. Their opposition argued that it was the other way around and Portuguese treated slaves like dogs), so Hideyoshi banned exporting Japanese slaves, and later outlawed slavery.
Just after outlawing slavery, he invaded Korea, which resulted in tens of thousands of Koreans being abducted and brought to Japan as slaves, which was obviously fine with everyone because war prisoners (from a "just" war) was the rebranding of slavery that was accepted at the time.

But I do understand that most authors may not really be thinking about how medieval slavery worked in Japan, Europe or anywhere else really, and at this point they're just following the way it's represented in the media. But I don't know how it led to the trend of trying to justify it as good. Many countries in Europe also don't have a colonialist history with slavery and maybe I'm just not reading the literature that does that, but I simply don't remember any Polish fantasy glorifying slavery.

Contributor
Thank you for your hard work!

The Japanese clearly don't know how these things worked outside of Japan, much less in the Western world. There was no "debt slavery" (you could be forced into some penal labour if you failed to pay your debts, but that's different). What Fei is describing sounds like indentured servitude, only without the contract. (How indentured servitude worked out depended on the contract, but at the root of it, you retained all of your rights. Which is basically what's going on here, only poorly done.)

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
C'mon... this is an isekai that really didn't need to introduce the whole slavery angle at all. The kid can literally summon anything he wants just by drawing it to the point that he summoned a fricken dragon using his blood and desperation.

I'm surprised he doesn't just draw himself a maid or something and make a companion rather than literally buying a slave.
Honestly, I'm more surprised by the fact he hasn't experimented. I would be experimenting the heck out of it. Seeing if it has to exist in this world for it to materialize. Can I bring stuff from my world? Does it have to exist in reality at all? Can I make a lightsaber? Vehicles? Robots? Phones? Imaginary items with a specific purpose that I've thought up? Etc etc.

The kid who supposedly lives to draw doesn't draw until the story makes him. And it's not like things materializing stopped him since Fei had to mention it for him to go. Oh, yeah that does happen.

Dex-chan lover
I swear, Japan and their fucking slavery fetish... I can pretend to understand it when you are writing hentai and can't be bothered with a plot, but why here?

Users who are viewing this thread