Kyoukai no Nai Sekai - Vol. 3 Ch. 19 - A Certain Memory…

Double-page supporter
Well this manga might get a translation or maybe not. So here is me spoiling it for anyone that has some expectations.

So it turns out that the girls we saw in the last page of last chapter ("The funeral of Satomi" joke, but it still funny that a person would give up their love and potential family for a job that can last you 15 years at most) is actually ANOTHER childhood friend of the MC who was actually another crush that he forgot about. (It's amazing that the writer took the first love interest that we almost never see again and the Dearly departed Satomi and the MC's female character model and mash them like paste into this character).
Anyway the MC, who until now has been the most confused character of this Universe( like it was an Isekai world), turns into a simp for this 'girl'. I am serious, he immediately remembers her and just falls for her. (I GUESS the Satomi and cousin experience traumatized him). (It's actually funny because in the final chapters boy Satomi(Satotoshi?) actually gets jealous of the girl and immediately dressed as a girl to keep trying to get seen by the MC. Maybe he was secretly thinking/hoping that the MC is gay and they could have a gay relationship(it would certainly make it funnier)).
But because they have to build this character up in 4 chapters we have to have some forced drama inserted in it: turns out this girl was actually an intersex sufferer, something like hermaphrodite, not really a girl or a boy. Their parents screwed them up (i guess they were isekai'd in this world too) and the miracle magic of genetic treatment can't fix her bodies. At least not yet. The MC is determined to not let this one get away so he promises her that he will be on her side whether she is a girl or a boy. Finally flashforward is that we see two people that looks like the MC and 3rd place person in the future holding a baby. We don't know who was the mother, only that they are now happy. THE END.

I have to say: there are a lot of manga that do a worse job explaining how gender can change. This manga may have captured a more realistic world despite my feelings about the characters. Why? Because the world is fantastic but people inside it are dumb and do dumb things. I can believe that a boy who is possibly gay would go through this procedure. I believe that a girl who wants high paying a job of fame would go through this procedure for fame. It's just that it was not thought out well. The characters are not believable. Either that or it is intentionally made to all be a parody commentary (Which I am inclined to believe)

Let me explain: imagine if all the genders of the characters were changed. If the cousin was a girl secretly in love with another girl. She goes through the procedure and becomes a boy to get with this girl. ( that is realistic, it happened in the Trans community)
Now imagine if a boy was actually talented in a baseball (but doesn't have speed) and wanted to be a champion and is offered a spot on the women's league. They go through the procedure and become a girl and she becomes a champion. (That has happened in the trans community).
I would believe this story if it didn't also try to be a highschool clichee romance too. You can't mix some things. And maybe that is the parody of it: we are supposed to see this as the new normal and it's weird. It's like the author saying: "we discovered this power and we use it so selfishly..."
Only in the last chapters maybe we get a glimpse of how it's meant to be used.

Users who are viewing this thread