Land of the Lustrous - Ch. 90 - Devastation

Dex-chan lover
@thecronosone I personally think that arguments such as "gems are selfish" or "they deserve it" are too human-centric to apply to this manga considering that none of the characters in HnK are truly human. It's not really appropriate to call the gem people selfish if they never were created to be social creatures capable of empathy. Even their adoration for Adamant was artificially generated by the machine's design. Why 'should' they help the Lunarians if they never cared about others, or even their own kind? Do we judge Insects or predatory fishes for preying on their own kind? By extension, the "deservingness" of their demise is only justified by human ethics. There is no inherent good or evil in creation or destruction.

Dex-chan lover
@Heap

The Lunarians had killed gems for thousands of years. You're gonna tell me the gems weren't justified to treat Phos like an enemy when he came back? Phos was too blame for not having foreseen this. He never put any thought into his actions. He should have never trust Eechmea in the first place. Now he's just Eechmea's poppet

Dex-chan lover
@tblst
"Why 'should' they even help the Lunarians if they never cared about others"

They care about each other, and they probably would have wanted to help the Lunarians too, if the Lunarians hadn't attacked and killed many of them for thousands of years.

Dex-chan lover
@1idd0kun Not to the extent of actively attempting to retrieve their comrades, and evidently not to the extent where they'd break their own kind to protect Adamant. Empathy is not a dichotomous construct, so I'm not going to discuss in detail whether they empathize or not. It's clear they don't behave completely as humans do.

Wife: "Do you need me?"
Husband: "Yes"
Wife: *slaps*
Wife: "I don't need you"

Dex-chan lover
People here cheers for Phos, but they ain't thinking about his future. Phos has no side considering he murdered the gem earth and it's confirmed that most moon gem lost his mind and Aechmea uses him.

Good grief folks.... Phos is pitiful. No one cares about him.

Dex-chan lover
Phos is a tragic person but honestly, not one person was free of guilt. The Moon folks, the Earth Gems, all of them contributed to this end. They destroyed themselves, just like how humans did.

It's a sad story.

@comedyxtragedy Phos is pitiful, no one cares. So we cheer for Phos. There is no such thing as context or care, when your entire being was turned to dust and your genuine request for death. Your genuine DEMAND for death was denied. Phos is a literal aspect of pain at the moment and there is no future for pain, it goes away eventually.

Dex-chan lover
...remember when this was about a lonely gem falling in love with another lonely gem?

Users who are viewing this thread