Last Boss Shoujo Akari - Watashi Yori Tsuyoi Yatsu ni Ai ni Gendai ni Iku - Ch. 10

Holy crap, this is Peak!:LOL: even without the gender bender this would still be good. (y) MC is so fun.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, this normally would be the sort of manga I'd hate. Less dialogue/characterization, hyperfocus on worldbuilding, constant action battles, flexing of power levels, obnoxiously evil and petty bad guys meant to be knocked down...

But I think this one very uniquely earns all of the above. Largely by dint of having a demon protagonist who is genuinely compelling in his/her nobility, wisdom and distinctly inhuman way of looking at the world. And using all of the above tropes to highlight how utterly brutal school bullying can be. Best of all it does all this falling without into sexist tropes common to manga (and especially manhua) like this -- if you think about it, the minus-the-g grapey jackass in this chapter is the first one to make Akari's gender part of it. Say what you will of this brutal school's hierarchy, it is pretty egalitarian in that one regard if no other.
Finally, there is a really compelling chekhov's gun in the form of what happened to Akari's spirit (did it really pass on and that's that? I'm betting no) and a building mystery of her own backstory and existence. Like why she would ever enroll to a school like this if she's so weak, among other things. So yeah, this manga definitely earns indulging in some cliches I normally hate, but a strong story gets to be as cheesy as it wants.

Thanks for translating this, I'll be excited to read more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread