Last Summer Vacation - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Breakup

Dex-chan lover
i don't get it? i think i might just not remember but they weren't childhood friends or anything right so what's up with that shot where they seem younger? is it like supposed to be some other character who isn't introduced yet or what

Dex-chan lover
i don't get it? i think i might just not remember but they weren't childhood friends or anything right so what's up with that shot where they seem younger? is it like supposed to be some other character who isn't introduced yet or what
They both have had shitty childhoods. One had that awful mother that warped her and basically made her into a murderer and the other was neglected and left alone with no one to be with or around. So I'm pretty sure the kid versions of them are just them in their most vulnerable state basically remembering back when they had it rough. At least that's what I took from it.

Thank you for your work translator man.

Dex-chan lover
I'm always thankful for the translations and i really don't want to sounds or act rude because i did in the past translations to my first language so i understand how much time it can take...
I always thought here it feels off but i don't have the words to express how so here's the closest thing i can find to put it into words:
7lioFdP.png

Dex-chan lover
I'm always thankful for the translations and i really don't want to sounds or act rude because i did in the past translations to my first language so i understand how much time it can take...
I always thought here it feels off but i don't have the words to express how so here's the closest thing i can find to put it into words:
7lioFdP.png
Complaints about the work of this translator have repeatedly been made. He replies with straw-man arguments, pseudo-scholarship about the English language (which is not his native tongue), and a pretense that his poor localization is not a localization at all.

My best guess is that he actively hates the English language, but I am just guessing.

I'm afraid that you'll just have to endure it until-and-unless a more competent and sincere scanlator picks this series up. Other badly scanlated series have seen later, better efforts; perhaps this one will.

Dex-chan lover
Complaints about the work of this translator have repeatedly been made. He replies with straw-man arguments, pseudo-scholarship about the English language (which is not his native tongue), and a pretense that his poor localization is not a localization at all.

My best guess is that he actively hates the English language, but I am just guessing.

I'm afraid that you'll just have to endure it until-and-unless a more competent and sincere scanlator picks this series up. Other badly scanlated series have seen later, better efforts; perhaps this one will.
I honestly think theyre just trolling with their translations lmao

Dex-chan lover

Wait, it's that guy again? Must admit this manga was far better done than that oneshot I read before, so depending on which was first he's either improved a lot, or the opposite. I did find some things slightly off, but nothing quite enough to not be chalked up as "translator likes certain curses a lot".

Have to give credits where credits are due. And comparing this to his translation of 'Boku Dake no Kimi', this title is definitely due being accredited as better.

ps: lol at someone using chatgpt as an actual source. Even more lol at it being a source for something as subjective as translation/localization style-guides.

Dex-chan lover
Right. I like the mangas that are translated and grateful for it; but tbh every time I stumble upon "man", "dear-something", "bloody". Or any other speech parasites. I automatically turn off my brain, look at the pretty picture and turn the page.

Dex-chan lover
Must admit this manga was far better done than that oneshot I read before, so depending on which was first he's either improved a lot, or the opposite. I did find some things slightly off, but nothing quite enough to not be chalked up as "translator likes certain curses a lot".
The quality of his work that I saw prior to that one was better, but the chosen quality of his translation of earlier chapters of this series has sometimes been better. The very fact that the intensity of his commitment in assigning faux-Londoner dialect even to single characters has risen and fallen noticeably across chapters is part of what makes him seem insincere.

Dex-chan lover
Instead of a British accent, wouldn't a southern accent make more sense? Since most translated manga use the typical American accent, so the equivalent would be a southern accent. Unless the translator is British I suppose.. but sometimes it just seems like typical British slang is used, so it's not really the accent, but the language

Dex-chan lover
Unless the translator is British I suppose.. but sometimes it just seems like typical British slang is used, so it's not really the accent, but the language
The translator has identified himself as Dutch. (And his present alias is Dutch for nose hair.) He thinks or pretends to think that he's translating into the Londoner dialect, but his translation does not actually conform to that dialect. (For example: He treats “lad” as signaling inferiority and this quintessentially gendered word as genderless.)
Instead of a British accent, wouldn't a southern accent make more sense? Since most translated manga use the typical American accent, so the equivalent would be a southern accent.
An American southern dialect wouldn't be fitting, especially with so many scanlators using it instead to represent Kansai dialect.

Dex-chan lover
I can't enjoy this anymore with this translation. The agressive overuse of the same handful of words (christ they aren't even being used properly) is so grating that it makes it impossible to get absorbed in the story. This may very well be one of the worst translations I've ever read. It's basically a meme shitpost and I can't grasp why the translator wastes their time on something they clearly have no respect for. Congrats on being the first TL so bad that you made me drop a manga.

Power Uploader
Wait, it's that guy again? Must admit this manga was far better done than that oneshot I read before, so depending on which was first he's either improved a lot, or the opposite. I did find some things slightly off, but nothing quite enough to not be chalked up as "translator likes certain curses a lot".

Have to give credits where credits are due. And comparing this to his translation of 'Boku Dake no Kimi', this title is definitely due being accredited as better.

ps: lol at someone using chatgpt as an actual source. Even more lol at it being a source for something as subjective as translation/localization style-guides.
The quality of his work that I saw prior to that one was better, but the chosen quality of his translation of earlier chapters of this series has sometimes been better. The very fact that the intensity of his commitment in assigning faux-Londoner dialect even to single characters has risen and fallen noticeably across chapters is part of what makes him seem insincere.
You two proof that you haven't been listening to a word of what I've been saying.

Again, Japanese is a living that like every other language has registers and ways to sound formal or informal. When characters speak in formal, textbook Japanese I translate it to textbook English, when they speak in informal street Japanese, I translate it to informal street English.

7Z7mJwO.png

Exact same character in the exact same title in the exact same page. It has nothing to do with “improving” or changing my way of translating. It has to do with how the Japanese the characters are using is, which you two somehow can't comprehend.

Dex-chan lover
You two proof that you haven't been listening to a word of what I've been saying.
Me giving you credit for having translated this work much better than another you did prior, is proof I'm not listening?
Again, Japanese is a living that like every other language has registers and ways to sound formal or informal. When characters speak in formal, textbook Japanese I translate it to textbook English, when they speak in informal street Japanese, I translate it to informal street English.
Aside from the grammatical errors in that paragraph, I would like to contest your argument instead.
  1. There is no such thing as "textbook english" and "street english" (in large part because so many nations adopted it as a native tongue). By the former I assume you mean "Oxford english", but that is hardly the same thing as textbook jp or keigo or whatever you were comparing it to (don't know enough about their dialects to say exactly what you refer to there). And with the latter you seem to rather refer to a specific hollywood stereotype if I understood things correctly?
  2. When translating you want to persist meaning. Going to odd dialects is more in the field of localization, where you go for the closest (or most comfortable) thing in the target language, rather than translate the meaning correctly. (ie. A metaphor about having eyes but not seeing mt.tai translated to english in an alternate universe where ants are the humans: a localization would say that "you have antennas, but can't smell Death Canyon" (I don't know many natural wonders in murica or england, sry); A translation would say "You have eyes, but can't see mt.tai", usually with an additional footnote "mt.tai is a famous and culturally important mountain in china")
Exact same character in the exact same title in the exact same page. It has nothing to do with “improving” or changing my way of translating. It has to do with how the Japanese the characters are using is, which you two somehow can't comprehend.
That page is from neither "Last Summer Vacation" nor "Boku Dake no Kimi". And the latter of which is tagged as a oneshot, so by "same character" you can't mean the page is from a work related to that one. So somehow that character/page is related to Last Summer Vacation? but it clearly isn't... So dunno what you mean by that? (hmm, checked the titles ToC too, and they have no "related" tab... yeah, no clue what you are referring to with this paragraph?)
But yes, I agree that that excerpt (wherever it's from) is somewhere halfway in quality between this chapter and the oneshot I mentioned before. Pretty much equal to the oneshot, but beats it by far simply on account of not being hentai (to which that dialect is a big no-no).

Users who are viewing this thread