Last Summer Vacation - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Breakup

Dex-chan lover
@Neushaartje, I have noted here that you misrepresent your renderings as into Londoner dialect (and I gave an example of how it is not), and that you engage in straw-man argument, pseudo-scholarly argument, and claims that your poor localization is not a localization at all.

Your response here is another one of the aforementioned straw-man arguments. No one here has said or assumed that any character in these stories speaks like an academician; no one here has said that any character should be translated as if he or she does.

You are simply bullshitting in the comments once again. I don't expect you ever to do better in the comments; I don't expect you ever to do an honest job as a translator.

I just comment to help others to understand what you're actually doing.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I can't enjoy this anymore with this translation. The agressive overuse of the same handful of words (christ they aren't even being used properly) is so grating that it makes it impossible to get absorbed in the story. This may very well be one of the worst translations I've ever read. It's basically a meme shitpost and I can't grasp why the translator wastes their time on something they clearly have no respect for. Congrats on being the first TL so bad that you made me drop a manga.
Same for me. I like this manga but hate the "localization". I'm dropping this. I'm grateful someone made an attempt at TLing but it's really bad.

You two proof that you haven't been listening to a word of what I've been saying.

Again, Japanese is a living that like every other language has registers and ways to sound formal or informal. When characters speak in formal, textbook Japanese I translate it to textbook English, when they speak in informal street Japanese, I translate it to informal street English.

7Z7mJwO.png

Exact same character in the exact same title in the exact same page. It has nothing to do with “improving” or changing my way of translating. It has to do with how the Japanese the characters are using is, which you two somehow can't comprehend.
Nah your translation is shit. Get way better if you need to add the same words at the end of a sentence. Get off your high horse

Nah your translation is shit. Get way better if you need to add the same words at the end of a sentence. Get off your high horse
I’d rather not have it translated like this in a soulless way at all. Free or not the dialect that you say is the closest one ruins the tone of the manga.

Dex-chan lover
The comment arguing that it's to represent casual language drives me mad, because casual english isn't like that even in europe, they end up feeling like a caricature british shaggy from scooby doo if anything. On the other hand, none of this is particularly formal english (such as certain workplaces) which would be a better way to represent less casual japanese than just making it standardized at most formal.

Not that most translators bother trying to preserve that nuance extremely hard nor do they Really need to 'cause losing it is better than trying too hard on the casual.

Users who are viewing this thread