Level 596 no Tanya Minarai - Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
I really wish the cast gave the slightest credence to the fact that even the Dragon Queen was calling out Noah's dad as an awful parent. It didn't need to be anything exhaustive, but literally just acknowledging it. Like both Noah and his dad make a huge deal out of thanking her for the opportunity, but Noah isn't going to thank her for getting angry over his wellbeing and emotional state? The Dad isn't going to mention how he's been facing his shortcomings as a parent and know that losing wife and getting in a bad situation isn't an excuse? It's just so weird that after that whole explanation no one even mentions her reasoning. It's like they didn't hear the Fire Dragon Queen and just got distracted by a shiny object.

Ugh, I keep wanting to like this series and yet it feels so stilted. The character interactions and dialogue are just always a little "off". Noah in particular always feels like he's emotionless even when he's drawn acting expressively to something or the dialogue clearly suggest otherwise. I can't quite put my finger on it. But like this chapter for example. He went for "That's amazing. Thanks for giving me dad this job." to "Oh no. Be less mean" to "Dad's okay with it so I am too" to "This is really exciting and I'm grateful" to "Oh no, what if dad dies". A part of it is that it doesn't feel like he has his own position or strong emotions on much of anything, but he's a kid so fine. But more than that as readers we're not given a second to let any of the emotions he's supposed to be feeling breathe. I guess the same can be said of interactions where they just feel like they happened but aren't allowed to breathe and feel like two or more characters actually interacting. Even as a drawn Manga with the scene unfolding panel by label, it really feels like I'm reading some third person stilted writing where the narrator just constantly tells me how the characters feel or interact and don't ever just let me see that unfold.

Users who are viewing this thread