Liar Game

30 chapters in and I think the rating is extremely high for how underdeveloped the characters are and how much the story actually lacks a hook. I'd give it a 3/10 based on the first 30 chapters, but I'm going to keep reading it albeit slowly and hope it picks up more as it progresses. The games are interesting, but otherwise it is almost a chore to read

You don't read this for the storytelling, only to surprise yourself with the strategies or try to predict what will happen

The games and strategies are the focus here, not the plot and characters. Just like how you'd watch a sports game primarily for the play on the field.

There is a lot to nitpick on here, but overall it's a very entertaining read for someone who likes mind games, strategic play, deception, betrayal, reveal, sudden (but not random) turns of events. It's also quite a page turner when you're in a middle of an arc.
This manga just wants to do one thing - the games - and it does it so well I gave it 9/10 despite that characters are cardboard, plot is practically nonexistent, art is ugly, some things were rather naive, the last arc crashed and burned and the ending got me rotfl. But most of time the games themselves were so brilliantly clever, I wanted to appreciate it.

The female MC is irritating naive damsel in distress in the beginning so it might be a turnoff, but she gets better later, and a funny non-binary person appears too. And besides, it's not about the characters as I said before so just bear with her... I did and I do not regret it.

Fed-Kun's army
I read about 20 chapters, so bear with me.

The art is subpar. Compared to Death Note for instance, it's night and day.
The main character is uninteresting. She is gullible, yes, but gullible doesnt mean retarded. And she went full retard several times. I know her and the con artist are supposed to be polar opposite, but it just doesnt work.
So far, the story's decent, but it's been poorly introduced. You can keep us in the dark all you want, but you need to give us something at some point, or we are losing interest. I'm 20 chapters in, and i've no clue what's going on. There's no sense of scale.

At least, where i stopped, the author gave us a peek in the con's past... but it's too cliché. I wont spoil, it's just cliché.

I dont understand the intentions of the author, and if in 20 chapters you cant even start to guess what's going on, then what's the point?

I'm hesitating between 4 and 6. I think it depends on what you're looking for in a manga. So, for me, it's a 4.

7/10. I would rate this manga (8) Very Good if it has not been axed. This manga is all about mind games, strategies and psychological assaults. If you are looking for plot, romance, thriller or whatever you're not going to find it here. It should be clear from the start the FL and Akiyama are going to win every single time. It's the how that is important. It's a combo of survival + game + psychological that I really enjoy. If you want more of the same combo I recommend Tomodachi Game.

Dex-chan lover
Liar game had a few hiatuses during it's run and Kaitani kinda rushed to get it over with, he was clearly burned out. Still had about 100 chapters of top top tier psychological warfare. Which is around as many chapters Death note had in it's entirety.

Death note also went down the shitter
after L got killed, and they had to create some weird orphan geniuses to try to take Yagami down and have him get his just desserts for having killed so many people, and that was extremely lame.

so saying death note is good and this manga is bad is hypocritical at least. They both went from being top tier at one point to dropping in quality midway through, ironically at a similar point. The best moments of Liar game are better than the best moments of Death note and the worst moments are worse too. If this is a 4/10 then Death Note is a 5/10.

Group Leader
Every comment on this thread makes immaculate and great points about this manga (as expected of readers of works that require high IQ™ such as this). I'll add that I really loved the little details in the art and that the comedy, though few and far between, lands every time. Also Nao's the perfect lead for these kinds of manga - we definitely need more characters who naively believe in the goodness of humanity in media. I can't even really be too mad at the rushed final arc - 8ish years of having to constantly come up with the most creative and intriguing games there are would make even the greatest of authors burn out. I personally recommend Liar Game for the journey - just keep in mind that the destination will be EXTREMELY disappointing

Also, the Portuguese translators didn't make a mistake in numbering the chapters. Somewhere down the line, the author decided to rewrite and split the final chapter into 3, creating 2 extra chapters with some very slight and insignificant changes and additions. They include a panel of Nao and Akihaya hugging each other and reveal that Artier was Nao's father and Leronira was Akiyama's university professor

And, massive thanks to the scanlators! This manga would not have been as enjoyable if the translations did not deliver - which it did and some more

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread