Life In Tokyo Ichijou - Vol. 6 Ch. 48 - Comeback

Fri

Supporter
I mean, from what we see in the other spinoff, we know that the basement is pretty doable, haha. Most people just stay there for years because they got distracted by gambling and wasting their money for amenities and stuff, I just realized that if there's one person who could be disciplined enough to not waste their money in that place, it'd be Ichijo. But man, what an ending.

Btw I actually didn't realize until the previous chapter that Murakami would follow Ichijo to Teiai. Did we see him in the actual Kaiji manga?

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation! It was a fun read. Gives a little bit of hope at the end, but truth be told I see all of Tensei's spinoffs as non-canon. That doesn't make them any less entertaining though, simply gives them more wiggle-room to play with the setting and characters.

Btw I actually didn't realize until the previous chapter that Murakami would follow Ichijo to Teiai. Did we see him in the actual Kaiji manga?
Yes, Murakami is Ichijou's right hand man during part 2, but he doesn't leave much of an impression. He basically just does what Ichijou tells him to do (like getting the remote control for the bog) or reacts to Kaiji's antics (moving the building).

Fri

Supporter
It's hard to think-up a situation in which Ichijou made it out permanently, but after reading this chapter, and this manga as a whole, I'd rather ignore the impossibility of that and believe it somehow someway happened.
Thanks for your work so far with this.
Yeah, this made me check the end of the original manga, and he was in deeper shit than I remember, which made this manga even more bittersweet. It's not really something that can be paid off with just working and discipline, but hey, even Kaiji believed that he'll manage it out somehow.

Dex-chan lover
Really wonderful ending. I love the idea of bookending his appearance in Kaiji. In Kaiji, he was just scum, we rooted for his downfall, and reveled in it. Then we read this, we see the vulnerable and confused man before he was scum, we sympathize with him, we feel bad for how he was left in Kaiji. But now we get this coda to his whole arc, giving us hope that he'll keep growing as a human being. Very lovely, very poetic.

Thank you so much for all your work translating this, and best of luck with your novel! Please share whatever you write in your discord :)

Group Leader
I mean, from what we see in the other spinoff, we know that the basement is pretty doable, haha. Most people just stay there for years because they got distracted by gambling and wasting their money for amenities and stuff, I just realized that if there's one person who could be disciplined enough to not waste their money in that place, it'd be Ichijo. But man, what an ending.

big boss put all the money kaiji and co won on the bog into ichijous debt. so not really "doable" for the average person. makes it even more impressive that ichijou made it out.

Dex-chan lover
big boss put all the money kaiji and co won on the bog into ichijous debt. so not really "doable" for the average person. makes it even more impressive that ichijou made it out.
could be he simply got an outing ticket, and maybe Murakami can help him get out...

Users who are viewing this thread