Living as the Tyrant's Older Sister

Fl is such a nitwit now. The art and storyline started so promisingly and (more dark and serious) and has degraded to lazy single panel caricature faces with no background like some previous others mentioned. Came for the MC's but don't know how long I'll follow.

These wussies criticizing the author too much. The characters are totally lovable. Most especially the FL. I love how she bites back the bitch elise 😂

Contributor
I have enjoyed reading this so far, but alas it does seem to be one of those distinct specimens where the love interest never stops being a trashy, possessive, won't-take-no-for-an-answer dick. And we're supposed to like him for his redeeming features or something, I think.

Admittedly I don't hate him as much as I did in the early part of the series... but that's a very low bar, like saying, "I no longer feel like he needs to be castrated for the greater good."

Despite this, it's been a decently fun read. There's a lot going on here besides the ostensible romance, for all that that's the most front-and-center part.

Ah the comments about the ml had put me off from starting this webtoon and now that I caught up I realized how wrong I was to get influenced guys you are too harsh on him!

I can understand why some people would prefer Lancelot because he's great but there's nothing wrong with the ML either and he's a good match to her, actually caring?? He never treated Alicia wrong. It's just he doesn't know how to express his feelings with words romantically but he's actually pretty blunt about them. He remembered his traumas for a minute and forgot his existence to give his reaction fast to her dolling up and many of the readers hated him for that? The significance of that scene for me was, despite how formal Alicia was with him for a long time, she really cared about his opinion about her and was affected by his carelessness, not how trash he was?

People called him overbearing because he didn't give his love up and patiently waited? Why, because he gave her space and was understanding to her decisions?

He was so cute from the start when he saw her cursing by the river/lake (i dont remember lol), you can see that he fell for her completely right then. Just because the book character was cruel to her brother doesn't mean that's who he is. We read too many isekai to fall for that. Literally everyone is different compared to the book.

@Pokari

Literally like 2 chapters ago Ares said something along the lines of, “I have no intention of forcing my feelings on you, but also no intention of hiding them either.”

So yeah I have no idea where you got that “possessive” and “won’t take no for an answer” from but the one line Ares said basically contradicts your entire statement lmao...

I swear people just try to find every reason to hate on Ares, whether it’s because they like Lancelot more or something else, I have no clue but out of all the Ml’s I’ve seen Ares is far from bad

Contributor
@Adryan475:

One spoken line does not a character make.

I'm judging him by the totality of his actions, not just one moment. However, obviously some people think he's fine... I'm honestly not sure whether this is from a difference in interpretation of the facts, or a difference in our baselines for what behaviour constitutes, say, "stalking," or conversely, "respecting other's opinions" :/

So for instance,

@Verbisluna said:
People called him overbearing because he didn't give his love up and patiently waited? Why, because he gave her space and was understanding to her decisions?

Giving her space was never something I would have accused him of, nor really respecting her decisions (which he does so very selectively, usually only when they help him get what he wants, or so I've felt...?). It's much worse in the opening chapters
e.g. Her: "Uh, hey, dude, this was a one-night stand, I'm sorry if we've had a communication problem" Him: "No it wasn't, [prevarications]"—followed by him stalking her down and trying to corner her for several chapters despite her clear and emphatic lack of interest
but I'm still not fully comfortable with his behaviour in recent chapters.

To wit, in general I agree with you about the scenes with him that were nice: It's other stuff entirely that makes me condemn him. A lot of acting out inappropriately in jealousy, acting controlling, occasionally being calculating and acting on false premises, not respecting other people's feelings or opinions when they don't suit him, that sort of thing.

(None of which is all to say y'all can't just like him and enjoy the thing. But I cannot think well of him, and indeed he's the sole reason I find myself hesitating each time I consider picking back up this series, even if, so far, I've always done so in the end.)

@pokari Oh I didn't write my comment based on yours, it was for every comment I've seen for a year so my bad if it seemed like that. I think with him, he respects her opinions, decisions and act according to them but also he didn't let "his" completely go because of hers. Like he gave her options, "if you want power you can be my wife or properly become my advisor" he always puts his favors on her path but doesn't "make" her choose them? I can understand why you were put off by his behavior on early chapters. But to me he had a crush on her, couldn't forget her so wanted to find her (which is, to me understandable) then when he found her he told his feelings (that it wasn't a one night stand for him and he wanted to know more about her, wanted to be with her) but he wasn't like "you are mine now hahaha" he didn't pester her to be with him but still he didn't get out of her life. (she didn't either since she came to him to become his advisor) when he was jealous he didn't take it out on her but on the men (lol) Although he's definitely calculating I don't think he's controlling (at least her)

For recent chapters
some said he trapped her to marriage by proposing which was hilarious. Alicia wanted to have a noble title to educate her brother and when grand duke and the princess are on her path she can't become a noble in other way so he gave her that option but she could still refuse... Just because it's a win-win for them doesn't mean he's trapped her... (I read those comments before starting the webtoon and they made me stall it also lol)
Still I do understand why he's not the ideal male lead for some but I don't think he's problematic.

Contributor
@Verbisluna:

*shrug* I suppose we have a very different reading of the character, and/or the room, then.

(Which is not a problem. I'm just mentioning because I was one of the people who made some of the sorts of complaints you say turned you away from things,
like complaining about the inappropriate timing of his public proposal, as to be in a situation where she couldn't refuse without just about abandoning her brother to a pack of hyenas. Which seems like a case where how different people are reading the room might feel very differently about it? The narrative presents it as, and many readers accept that, this is him coming in like a white knight and defending the things she holds dear. Whereas I had read it as him stepping in in a moment of weakness and presenting an offer she can't refuse. The situation is a bit muddy so it's not totally unreasonable that we have different perspectives (I'm sure there's even a philosophical stance that both can be true), but...

Wildly speculating it might be influenced by one's attitude towards a number of things:
- If you think public proposals are wonderful and romantic, instead of a terribly impolite way of putting someone on the spot (and forcing an immediate, unqualified answer) even at the best of times (as I do),
- Whether you think marriage was truly the only way out of the problem that the duke could offer, or whether it was just the one he wanted to, and consequentially: To what extent you think his primary motive was to help her or to ensnare her (and whether you think the balance of his motives matter),
- How much choice you think she really has in the matter (recalling that this is one battle in an ongoing a matter of life-and-death for her and her brother), and whichever way you feel about that, whether he knows that (or should know that), and whether that matters,
- Whether you think it makes a difference if they're in love already or not, and if so whether you think she's let on that she's semi-interested romantically (whether or not she is), and/or whether you think that's okay for him to take into account if he thinks so, despite her explicit statements to the contrary...

I don't know. Anyway; to wit, it seemed genuinely like a quite filthy move to me. And I felt this even as I was able to appreciate the whole victorious mood of the well-timed slam-dunk that it made in their empassioned political drama.
)

To be clear, I'm not really trying to convince anyone on the pro-ML team to try to take my point of view, at this point. Just musing over how bloody different our interpretation of the whole affair is.

I love everything, and it's one of the rarest isekai/novel romance that made me laugh so hard, I had tears running down my face 🤣

PLEASE CONTINUE !!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Contributor
I tried to make it to the end of season one but there's clear authorial bias towards Ares that I just can't bother reading any more. Authors that set up strong, opinionated female leads that openly speak their minds and then have male leads come in and ignore their wishes should be set up to fail and then have character growth from that experience written into the plot, not normalize "if I just stay persistent she'll change her mind" misogyny. He even openly states he sees her as his in such a possessive way such that he threatens harm and abuse towards his subordinates... It's just really gross.

The shame is I like Alicia as MC and would love to see more blacksmithing and political intrigue between herself, Grand Duke Hawthorne and Princess Edith's faction, but that comes secondary to the literally forced romance between Alicia and Ares.

If this latest chapter truly seems like what it looks like then, I would gladly accept Lancelot be the male lead thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread