Love and Collage

He isn't Keitaro indeed...
Now that I think about it, I wonder if this was one of the early series that sets the trope where the tsundere becomes the main pick...

Dex-chan lover
@Ringz, when did this come out versus Love Hina? At least this has the drastically better MC. Yes, I said it. I'm glad the trope of weak-willed nothing-burgers has died to weirdo fetish ecchi dudes.

Supporter
@earlier conversation:
Love Hina is the perfect classic of harem romance/drama manga that has comedy to keep it from being too stuffy in between the character development. Ai Kora is focused on the comedy and minus the drama. Feels like comparing two different things that achieved their goals in their respective focuses. But to be clear, this manga is a must read for comedy harems. I would not put Love Hina as a true comedy manga.

Dex-chan lover
One of the best things about Love Hina was that Keitaro actually grew and developed as a person over the course of the series. Yes he started out as a "weak-willed nothing-burger" but he was a totally changed man by the end.

This is something that modern harem stories don't even attempt, let alone get right. These days there is zero character development, every single woman falls for the MC for the flimsiest reasons, and the MC doesn't actually have to do anything except pick a girl (and most of the time they don't even do that). So yeah, looking back Love Hina was pretty damn fantastic compared to all the trash we get today.

Group Leader
Phew, what a ride. Ai Kora is a harem romcom that focuses much more heavily on the comedy side (it’s the author’s style) - so really comparing this to Hina Love is just wrong.
For a harem manga that relies on being episodic and a bit unrealistic to be funny, the main male character was memorable and strong-willed - Hachibei wasn’t a push-over either, and yeah sure, his development wasn’t consistent as so were the arcs, but he really deserved to be a protagonist, I guess that’s what you could call it.
The drama’s there just to propel the plot, again it’s not the most realistic nor the best, but it’s there. The three main girls does have a reason to be affectioned to him, that’s a plus, their real development was delayed till the last 40 chapters or so, but it did make an impact and wasn’t weak. The support characters were actually supportive of the main casts, their influence didn’t fade immediately and really had their own personality. The only character that didn’t impress me was
the guy who fell in love with Yukari, he
really didn’t make that much of an impact and felt like he’s just... there, I guess.

All and all, it’s a good manga, maybe an 8, but I wouldn’t say it’s one of the best harems depending on tastes. At least almost everyone agrees on the the girl that “won” was best girl. Also the side story was good.

This was supposed to be a parody of Love Hina or something but the author accidentally stumbled into writing just a really good and sweet normal manga that's also funny.

Aggregator gang
I really like this so far, better than "Love Hina" at the moment. Tho I only read the first 10 chapters of "Love Hina" as its hook is not my taste. Should I read "Love Hina", does it get better? Or is it a hit or miss type of manga (not the anime as I heard is worse than the manga)?

Dex-chan lover
@Pancakeza the thing with love hina is that it was pretty good way back when it came out it was one of the series that started that whole 1 dude living in a dorm or whatever with a bunch of beautiful girls that fall for him for reasons unknown to mankind, which then evolved into the magical high school craze with kind of the same premise but i digress.

Tbh its not that good and if you arent liking it from the beginning just dont even bother, its nice as a look into the past but a bunch of series have just done the whole thing a lot of better since, the characters are all bare-bones the girls are all very basic character archtypes and the dude is the typical useless piece of shit that you want to slap every chapter also the last arc is some of the most foul and weird unnecessary filler ever, you can smell the authors desperation at wanting to pump out some more chapters.

The ending itself is satisfying but is it worth going through the whole thing ? Fuck no.

I read it kind of recently so yeah i didn't have a good experience lol 13 year old me 10 years ago was still a fresh cadet but nowdays with all the much better romcoms its really not worth it.

Dex-chan lover
@Pancakeza np bro, np.

Still now that i read that maybe i laid the dick down too hard on the poor series.

Well first of all if you enjoy that type of harem trash you might just like it, although i said the girls were bare-bone archtypes they're still cute enough to like, the tough one that is actually cute, the onee-san, tsundere, loli (tbh the loli here is pretty bizarre in a good way), you'll probably like them if you're into that stuff.

Also although the last arc itself is shit the pacing and romantic development up till there had been kind of decent, the relationship between the mc and the very obvious FL from ch 1 is pretty good and all the girls have some development to them that feels natural, all of them are likable, but again mc is just one of those guys thats constantly pissing himself at the mere idea of getting past friendship with a female.

If you really, really like romcoms sure, but like really, really like em, and id still recommend something else lol, read that one at the hot springs with the ghost girl, the art is phenomenal and well its basic romcom trash but its good trash, Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san.

Aggregator gang
@JustCallMeDaBoss, thanks for the recommendation. I remember reading Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san a long time ago but lost what chapter I was on due to time. Thanks for reminding me 😁.

Double-page supporter
A classic generic Rom-Com. I recommend to all. Though it's my least favorite work of the Author. Nonetheless it's still hilarious.

Be warn though, the "Incest" and "Yaoi" is very forced and only slightly mentioned: I have no idea why as it has nothing to do with the story and completely unnecessary.

I never read Love Hina but Love Hina should be better then this (Or so I hear due to the more massive popularity LH has.) however that MC is most likely beta so I can't really trust works like those. I prefer this MC more. Still I am not really sure.

I LOVE THE BROMANCE - This story has!

Banned
Yukari deserved better.

You'll see that Yukari is the better girl because after she knows about MC's fetish she still continues loving him and accepts who he is, while Tenmaku just fucking freaks out and chase him away. I prefer Yukari over Tenmaku, Tenmaku is always so uncertain about her choices and always wavering between her old lover or the MC even though the MC came right out to say that he loves her and will do anything to make her happy. I liked Tenmaku at first, a tsundere but at an acceptable degree, until her ex shows up, she became unbearable (for me).

Also I like this kinda MC, aggressive but not too much, and he's not a fucking wimp like the generic beta MC. He reminds me of Rance a little (being very protective of his girls). I also like Ootori, very cheerful and fun character.

@Raydnt I see what you mean

Dex-chan lover
MC not a beta, worth the read I give it a solid 7/10

@HoangDinh
Hmm naw, Yukari may have accepted his parts love fetish, but it wouldn't have worked out if they dated.
Because Yukari is okay with it, Hachibei will still actively search out parts, and for Yukari it would only be about her boobs.
Hachibei is too dangerous unhinged, he needs someone who can reign him in, not encourage his behavior.
And Yukari only accepted his fetish cause she was desperate, in the end she wanted Hachibei for herself and wanted Hachibei to love her not her boobs so thats not really accepting his fetish
She wanted to change him, but in the end unfortunately she wasn't enough for Hachibei to change.
Only Tenmaku could change him.

Users who are viewing this thread