Lunch Zake - Ch. 8 - The Eighth Cup

Dex-chan lover
jaWuOLt.png

Excuse me, what

Dex-chan lover
isnt that like 400 dollars per month for a college age daughter ? not much at all
well, she does call it an 'allowance' so maybe it's bonus on top of other expenses (tho some ppl say textbooks here are like almost 300 dollars per class to begin with)
jaWuOLt.png

Excuse me, what

lol that's kinda old school thinking, other than being super dependent on a spouse's paycheck it is kinda weird considering a lot of women would out live men naturally, but yeah idk how you can say that to someone's face without being smacked

Double-page supporter
lol that's kinda old school thinking, other than being super dependent on a spouse's paycheck it is kinda weird considering a lot of women would out live men naturally, but yeah idk how you can say that to someone's face without being smacked
I think that's something belong to Japanese culture where the husbands are expected to be the sole bread winner and the wives are expected to stay at home and take care of the family.

Dex-chan lover
I think that's something belong to Japanese culture where the husbands are expected to be the sole bread winner and the wives are expected to stay at home and take care of the family.
Sure but it is kinda weird to compare it to cheating as opposed to "you got remarried a year after his death?" or so lol, but you'd think if they knew she also had a kid, idk if they were expecting her to straight up die and 'follow him to the grave' or so, but even then i imagine there'd probably be some savings or inheritance setup in case of death or like a long term coma/ilness (esp with the stereotype of "the wive controls the purse strings, i've seen some manga and j-drama scenes where the husband is asking for an 'allowance' as well despite being the breadwinner)

Dex-chan lover
"Outliving your husband is no better than being unfaithful" is very old school thinking. It is filial piety ideals taken to the extremes. The reasoning is "if you were truly faithful and devoted to him, you wouldn't have been able to live without him".

You have to also remember that this is one person's recount of what was said to her. We dont know what the circumstances are that lead people to say things like that. After all, people say all manner of things in emotionally tense times. People tend to remember the worse things said to them.

Dex-chan lover
isnt that like 400 dollars per month for a college age daughter ? not much at all
For the current rates at this time, 80,000 yen is about 560 US dollars. There was a time when you just divide by yen by a hundred to get the dollar amount, but this is not good.

Dex-chan lover
For the current rates at this time, 80,000 yen is about 560 US dollars. There was a time when you just divide by yen by a hundred to get the dollar amount, but this is not good.
I can imagine it being for 'daily expenses' like food and maybe clothes, if she isn't sending over some 'care packages' bc i imagine other than paying it back per semester, you'd just pay back college debt after graduation the same way it is here? unless you need to pay "rent" for a dorm room too

Users who are viewing this thread