Lv2 kara Cheat datta Moto Yuusha Kouho no Mattari Isekai Life - Vol. 9 Ch. 42 - Sense of Values

Dex-chan lover
1) To be fair the series frames the cultural issue as if it's a human Vs demon thing which I always found a bit insulting in these types of stories. I get its for simplicity, but human themselves are an incredibly varied species with a lot of different cultures with their own norms, traditions, and beliefs having developed. I mean really this just frames these humans and supposedly all in this world as living in an incredibly small and narrow world without much cultural variety which is just kinda sad.

2) I'm not saying cannibalism is a better answer, but there is more logic there. I wonder what the rationale for burying loved ones in dirt was way back when. Like today we know nutrients go back into the soil (actually we know that and still opt to bury them in a coffin that's never actually seen again and doesn't stop bodies from decomposing and kinda just commercialize grief and the inevitablelity of death...), but like what was the thought before we knew? I'm sure an anthropologist has done an interesting study on it.

3) Good lord. I feel so sorry for the demon lord's army. The good leader can't be bothered to fight for his throne and the betterment of his people the second he thinks they don't want him and the army itself just let's the idiot that took the throne slowly bring their entire country to ruin.

Dex-chan lover
2) I'm not saying cannibalism is a better answer, but there is more logic there. I wonder what the rationale for burying loved ones in dirt was way back when. Like today we know nutrients go back into the soil (actually we know that and still opt to bury them in a coffin that's never actually seen again and doesn't stop bodies from decomposing and kinda just commercialize grief and the inevitablelity of death...), but like what was the thought before we knew? I'm sure an anthropologist has done an interesting study on it.
As the primary source of sustenance, the land has been a central part of religion since the advent of civilization. It's only natural for people to believe in returning to the earth what spawned from the earth.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what the rationale for burying loved ones in dirt was way back when.
One rationale I've heard comes from that corpses bring diseases and disease-carrying animals. Those have traditionally been seen as evil spirits and what not, so by burying dead people, they both avoid those diseases spreading to the community, and from a spiritual perspective the corpses don't become "cursed".

Dex-chan lover
One rationale I've heard comes from that corpses bring diseases and disease-carrying animals. Those have traditionally been seen as evil spirits and what not, so by burying dead people, they both avoid those diseases spreading to the community, and from a spiritual perspective the corpses don't become "cursed".
This is also part of the reason some cultures created cremation as their methods of dealing with the deceased.

Users who are viewing this thread