Machikado Mazoku - Ch. 89

Dex-chan lover
I figured something big would happen but I certainly didn't expect the return of watermelon-chan. At first I didn't even realise it's her and was wondering what's going on in Anri's dream.
Also wonder if her siblings seemingly confusing Shamiko for Joshua, in other words they've met at some point, will have some greater significance later. Knowing this manga, probably yes.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, 10 years ago, Suika came to town 4 years later
Not quite. Sakura and Joshua went MIA 10 years ago, Momo returned to the town 6 years ago. We don't know when actually Suika arrived in town and started her Mazokucaust, only when Momo stopped her.

Aggregator gang
Bro that lore drop

Kinda confused here, the book said that Anri is the second daughter, but the glowing kid said that she is our precious little sister? And there's apparently three glowing kids (presumably killed by suika)?? And whats up with that kid calling shamiko onii-chan???

Nah bro, she's been real sus since at least ch 84, when gushion casually says that Anri is from the satan clan.
It looks like Anri's memories are altered at some point but not completely. She says that it will be noisy because she have a "lot of siblings" but a few page later she suddenly said that they are only 2 child siblings.

Also it looks like the 3 kids saying that Shamiko is an Onii-chan mistook her for her father who looks a lot like her

I wonder where the meat company that bought out Anri’s family’s company fits into this. Seemed Kinda sus before, even more now we know her ancestor was a cow demon.

Aggregator gang
Kinda confused here, the book said that Anri is the second daughter, but the glowing kid said that she is our precious little sister? And there's apparently three glowing kids (presumably killed by suika)?? And whats up with that kid calling shamiko onii-chan???
Yes, I recall Japan order childs separated on boys and girls.

Anri being "second daughter" means she has 1 older sister, so the other 2 must be her older brothers.

Dex-chan lover
I’ll be sure to use it with care, I’m sorry
Thank you for the meal

…Did that I get that wrong or did that eldritch-horror-thing just ate Shamiko’s overpowered weapon?
Okay that's a lot less dark than my first assumption. With the knowledge that one of her ancestors was some kind of cow demon and that two of her siblings were killed I immediately assumed that the meat grinder was to be taken literal. That her siblings had some kind of cow like features and were put through the meat grinder the same way that the book demon was burned to death. Which combined with the fact that they sell meat products makes this quote incredibly dark.

Let's hope I just have an overactive imagination

Fed-Kun's army
Bro that lore drop

Two of them are boys and one is a girl, so they're the first son, second son and first daughter, with Anri being the second daughter.

Supporter
At this rate of darkness escalation, this is going to get darker than Madoka ever was.

Fed-Kun's army
People already seem convinced the black thing is Suika and I'm inclined to agree, but can someone with access to the raws for this chapter confirm whether its speech has the same stylisation as this:

And also when it says "So sad", is the Japanese "Kawaisou"?

People already seem convinced the black thing is Suika and I'm inclined to agree, but can someone with access to the raws for this chapter confirm whether its speech has the same stylisation as this:

And also when it says "So sad", is the Japanese "Kawaisou"?

ZYKsS9b.png

Yes to both questions.

Dex-chan lover
At this rate of darkness escalation, this is going to get darker than Madoka ever was.
Thing is, the darkness was always there. When pitching the anime to friends, I often said that it takes place in a peaceful slice of life city that's an oasis from Madoka-level dark outside of it.

I mean there's already the cute mascots looking for little girls to recruit as mahou shoujo. And as much as we take turns hating on Suika she's the norm rather than the exception, systemically. Magical girls gain power by killing demons and I suspect that's what their familiars often want them to be doing. In essence Momo and Mikan are doing a pacifist Undertale run.
I vaguely recall Momo saying it used to be a lot worse and many modern magical girls don't harm peaceful demons. But that background radiation of a very scary setting has been there from the start.

Incidentally, I think this is one reason Machikado Mazoku is such a brilliant story -- there is a lesson here that no matter how scary the world we live in may be, you can create a safe space to enjoy life from. No reason to wait to live your very own slice of life anime story. But such spaces require dedication and protection and the cracks in the shield can form at any time.

Then, she says that it well be noisy because of her "lot of siblings".

1 page later, she says the family has only 2 childs (but the table is too big for that).
Beside the table being a bit too big, they also prepared plate and rice for the empty chair in which people don't usually do (on page 7) in which the Ancestor also realized.

Their memory probably get repressed / altered / sealed, but the parents still instinctively knew to make that amount of food and prepare the plate?

Dex-chan lover
Is there a reason "gosenzo" isn't being translated as "ancestor" now? Is there some hard-to-translate additional implication that isn't in the TL notes, or is it just some weeb assuming everyone knows what that word means?

Dex-chan lover
Okay, I both did and didn't see this coming. Like, I knew there's no way Anri's family was normal, but I didn't think it'd be like this.

We going in deep again, boys

Dex-chan lover
Okay that's a lot less dark than my first assumption. With the knowledge that one of her ancestors was some kind of cow demon and that two of her siblings were killed I immediately assumed that the meat grinder was to be taken literal. That her siblings had some kind of cow like features and were put through the meat grinder the same way that the book demon was burned to death. Which combined with the fact that they sell meat products makes this quote incredibly dark.

Let's hope I just have an overactive imagination
That's, honestly, the first (horrible) thing I thought, where Suika killed, ground them up, and they were fed to an unsuspecting public only to be found out tragically later.

Users who are viewing this thread