Machikado Mazoku - Ch. 89

Dex-chan lover
Is there a reason "gosenzo" isn't being translated as "ancestor" now? Is there some hard-to-translate additional implication that isn't in the TL notes, or is it just some weeb assuming everyone knows what that word means?
I blame the anime for this one. Shamiko's panicked "GOSENZOU!!" is practically a catchphrase at this point. Admit it, you're already hearing it in your head.

Is there a reason "gosenzo" isn't being translated as "ancestor" now? Is there some hard-to-translate additional implication that isn't in the TL notes, or is it just some weeb assuming everyone knows what that word means?
It's anonymous' TL. It tends to get rushed out first and often has errors or awkward bits. The Sunrise Arrow one will likely keep it consistent when it comes out later.

I feel like the art has changed a bit on this chapter. Lines feel thicker and shadows are heavier. Maybe a product of the break?
And obviously the mood has changed too but that may have been planned from before.
Great chapter!

Dex-chan lover
damn, i literally looked back at the title page just to confirm that im reading Machikado lmao..

that came out of nowhere

Dex-chan lover
I blame the anime for this one. Shamiko's panicked "GOSENZOU!!" is practically a catchphrase at this point. Admit it, you're already hearing it in your head.
Well no, I'm not; since keeping up with anime takes more time, I only follow the manga for most series. Thank you for the context tho.

Double-page supporter
Holy shit
I realized what was going on as soon as the dinner scene and it hit me like a ton of bricks...
Anri's older Sister and 2 Older brothers were killed by Suika and Anri's family's memories were wiped
Maybe Anri survived because her abilities hadn't awakened yet... but it's heart breaking either way
If Momo saw this she probably would fall into a deep depression and self loathing again... :cry:

Double-page supporter
Okay that's a lot less dark than my first assumption. With the knowledge that one of her ancestors was some kind of cow demon and that two of her siblings were killed I immediately assumed that the meat grinder was to be taken literal. That her siblings had some kind of cow like features and were put through the meat grinder the same way that the book demon was burned to death. Which combined with the fact that they sell meat products makes this quote incredibly dark.

Let's hope I just have an overactive imagination
Didn't Suika mention eating the demons she killed at some point? It's possible she wasn't being metaphorical

Dex-chan lover
it always surprises me how dark Machikado can get, but this tops it all, if some of the theories are correct, this is the perfect blend of a CGDCT series that always keeps you in your toes

Dex-chan lover
Had to freaking read all the comments in this thread to gather what is going on.
Well... this series sure does deserve the high rating it has.

Dex-chan lover
Hell of a rollercoaster chapter, glad to see the author back on her feet.

I’ll be sure to use it with care, I’m sorry
Thank you for the meal

…Did that I get that wrong or did that eldritch-horror-thing just ate Shamiko’s overpowered weapon?
It gave me the impression that was something the spirit once said, and given the fact that it was meat from a grinder, then I would guess that the Gyuuki was killed to provide food for the family.

Also, someone reproduced with that Gyuuki according to the family tree...must have made for a wild history project at school lol.

Fed-Kun's army
Thing is, the darkness was always there. When pitching the anime to friends, I often said that it takes place in a peaceful slice of life city that's an oasis from Madoka-level dark outside of it.

I mean there's already the cute mascots looking for little girls to recruit as mahou shoujo. And as much as we take turns hating on Suika she's the norm rather than the exception, systemically. Magical girls gain power by killing demons and I suspect that's what their familiars often want them to be doing. In essence Momo and Mikan are doing a pacifist Undertale run.
I vaguely recall Momo saying it used to be a lot worse and many modern magical girls don't harm peaceful demons. But that background radiation of a very scary setting has been there from the start.

Incidentally, I think this is one reason Machikado Mazoku is such a brilliant story -- there is a lesson here that no matter how scary the world we live in may be, you can create a safe space to enjoy life from. No reason to wait to live your very own slice of life anime story. But such spaces require dedication and protection and the cracks in the shield can form at any time.
That's not true.
Magical girls gain points by sealing demons, not killing them.
I suppose they still get something when they kill, but Suika definitely is not the norm.

She's mostly a broken magical girl who became a sociopath after being traumatized by the war and justifies her killing as an act of salvation.

And so far, even if Momo and Mikan said magical girls are dangerous, from what we've seen and how they talk about other magical girls, I think they are far from this level.

Dex-chan lover
Had to freaking read all the comments in this thread to gather what is going on.
Well... this series sure does deserve the high rating it has.
Dude, you haven't even seen the deeplore posting that goes in /a/ when raw chapters drop. What you see here is surface level in comparison.

Dex-chan lover
When you are reading the series for Doraemon slice of life schtick fun, but the lore is Elden Ring tier.

Users who are viewing this thread