Magic Maker: How to Create Magic in Another World - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
I heard that Rose is manga exclusive or her role wasn't that prominent, she is a great addition to the story.

Dex-chan lover
Holy crap, that line about buying and selling human-like things almost makes me want to drop this. It comes from such a dumbass, ignorant point of view that reeks of self-centeredness.

Slavery of humans by other humans has literally been a part of human history for millenia. It has been part of Japanese history specifically for millenia. Humans subjugate, commodify, and sell other humans.

Let me make this clear because people don't know how to read. Slavery is bad. I don't like slavery.

The problem is this dumbass writing where the author ignores the history of slavery and acts like it's so hard to understand the concept of buying and selling human-like things. The author takes their own, current morality and imposes it on everyone else like it's so natural and obvious. It's crap. That's a self-centered thinking that ignores atrocities.

End rant.

Holy crap, that line about buying and selling human-like things almost makes me want to drop this. It comes from such a dumbass, ignorant point of view that reeks of self-centeredness.

Slavery of humans by other humans has literally been a part of human history for millenia. It has been part of Japanese history specifically for millenia. Humans subjugate, commodify, and sell other humans.

Let me make this clear because people don't know how to read. Slavery is bad. I don't like slavery.

The problem is this dumbass writing where the author ignores the history of slavery and acts like it's so hard to understand the concept of buying and selling human-like things. The author takes their own, current morality and imposes it on everyone else like it's so natural and obvious. It's crap. That's a self-centered thinking that ignores atrocities.

End rant.
To be fair, the main character is from modern Japan, so they would have those values.
As for the other characters, while it has been part of human history since the beginning, it was often seen as more of a "necessary evil" and lumped together with other morally dubious businesses like prostitution. They were usually either criminals or prisoners of war, after all, and so many wouldn't want anything to do with them.
Also, in most areas where it was used, they were usually too expensive for any but the wealthy to afford, so it would probably have been abnormal for the average person to encounter as well.

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, the main character is from modern Japan, so they would have those values.
As for the other characters, while it has been part of human history since the beginning, it was often seen as more of a "necessary evil" and lumped together with other morally dubious businesses like prostitution. They were usually either criminals or prisoners of war, after all, and so many wouldn't want anything to do with them.
Also, in most areas where it was used, they were usually too expensive for any but the wealthy to afford, so it would probably have been abnormal for the average person to encounter as well.
That's not "to be fair". That's EXACTLY what I was criticizing as self-centered. That's not an excuse when I very literally already said that's bad.

And you're doing it here too. You're saying it was justified as a necessary evil? Sometimes, yes, sure. I'm not going to deny that. But you are ignoring the centuries/millenia of history where people straight said it was good.

For the betterment of the otherwise animalistic slaves is one common example. It wasn't always race-based either. There were also religious systems that said you were born into slavery to work off karma/as divine retribution for something.

Almost everything you said I had already directly addressed, and anything new you said was indirectly addressed by history and facts.

Users who are viewing this thread