Magical Trans! - Vol. 2 Ch. 14 - It Pays to be Prepared

In an ideal world, definitely. But this is manga... even the best GB mangas out there are rarely "woke" enough when it comes to the relationship between gender identity and gender expression to understand that gender really does exist along a spectrum, or that femininity and masculinity != woman and man, respectively. Within the general tropes and story mechanics associated with GB manga, labels are helpful. Especially since we often don't get definite conclusions one way or the other on how a character ends up identifying, or why.

Btw though, transgender is an umbrella term, it's more than just "binary transsexual person." As of now, Minami seems more genderfluid than strictly one or the other, and that absolutely counts as transgender. Cisgender is identifying only as the gender typically assigned to your body. Transgender is anything else. It's a very broad term. Remember when trans* was a thing? I miss that asterisk.

I don't want to put labels on Minami too stringently though. I know I'm probably projecting some, I'm just really happy about how non-fetishistic and wholesome this manga is, regarding the MC's exploration. I'd just about given up on this genre entirely when I found this and it's really nice to see a character free from all the gross stereotypes about gender non-conformance that have crept into mainstream manga in the last several years.

Ok seriously you all need to stop bringing up all this lgbt stuff. Maki is not trans or any of that other bullshit, he's just a guy that enjoys being a girl from time to time, theres no deeper meaning

Users who are viewing this thread