Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Double Seven-hen - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - A Match for Pride (III)

Dex-chan lover
oh, what a nice situation to finish the battle and showcase Tatsuyas abilities.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda funny how he’s so stuck on clans defining power. I guess his head has been stuck under the mud because that “guy who isnt a part of the 28 families” beat Ichijou 1v1 and showed he is a master at disabling magic.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda funny how he’s so stuck on clans defining power. I guess his head has been stuck under the mud because that “guy who isnt a part of the 28 families” beat Ichijou 1v1 and showed he is a master at disabling magic.

He's got his head up the 'unique' abilities hole, which even though Tatsuya beat Ichijou he did it while hiding his true power.

It's why Shippou is so obsessed with the Saegusa, what with the whole 'they stole OUR research' bit with his father earlier.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know how everybody doesn't look at Miyuki's power and Tatsuya's control, look at the 'Shi' in their surname, and go "oh ok they're Yotsuba clan memebers".

It's gotta be the same effect that Clark Kent gets from putting on a pair of glasses.

I don't know how everybody doesn't look at Miyuki's power and Tatsuya's control, look at the 'Shi' in their surname, and go "oh ok they're Yotsuba clan memebers".

It's gotta be the same effect that Clark Kent gets from putting on a pair of glasses.
I think they talked about this in the novel where they were thought as a part of the 100 families because of the 'shi'. Since more than one family there has 'shi' in their name.

Dex-chan lover
I have doubts on Tat's claim the Saegusa twins's trick can't be replicated through genetic engineering.
Heck, I'd say having a hard cap on skill by not being with a partner that synchs perfectly is a massive flaw.

Dex-chan lover
He's got his head up the 'unique' abilities hole, which even though Tatsuya beat Ichijou he did it while hiding his true power.

It's why Shippou is so obsessed with the Saegusa, what with the whole 'they stole OUR research' bit with his father earlier.
Both Shippou and Saegusa have seven in their name, both are developed as magicians from lab seven, and yet only Saegusa was chosen as part of the Ten Master Clans. He was too obsessed about Ten Master Clans.

Btw, I was confused about "they stole our research" bit in the manga. He mentioned Saegusa stole from lab seven and three. The novel gave a bit more details.
The Saegusa was originally the test subjects of lab three. They escaped and somehow joined lab seven around when the seven's research was close to complete. That's why Takuma thought the Saegusa stole both from lab seven and three to become powerful. He thought the Shippou is the true successor of lab seven.

Dex-chan lover

The shi in their name isn't written with the kanji for 4 (from wiki Shiba 司波). The magicians from the Numbers family have kanji for number in their name. Like how Shippou 七宝 and Saegusa 七草 has 7, Juumonji 十文字 has 10, Chiba 千葉 has thousand. Those who are not from Numbers family don't use number kanji.

That's why people don't connect Shiba to Yotsuba 四葉. If it's just from how it's pronounced, Shippou would also qualify lol.

Dex-chan lover
The shi in their name isn't written with the kanji for 4 (from wiki Shiba 司波). The magicians from the Numbers family have kanji for number in their name. Like how Shippou 七宝 and Saegusa 七草 has 7, Juumonji 十文字 has 10, Chiba 千葉 has thousand. Those who are not from Numbers family don't use number kanji.

That's why people don't connect Shiba to Yotsuba 四葉. If it's just from how it's pronounced, Shippou would also qualify lol.
Oh thanks! I misunderstood that about the 18 families - I didn't realize they actually had the number kanji in their names too.

I remember something making me think that was reserved for the current ten master clans alone and that everybody else (even in the 100 families) with any kind of claim used other kanji but kept the syllable to signify their association, but I really can't remember which part of the story that'd be in to double check.

Dex-chan lover
Oh thanks! I misunderstood that about the 18 families - I didn't realize they actually had the number kanji in their names too.

I remember something making me think that was reserved for the current ten master clans alone and that everybody else (even in the 100 families) with any kind of claim used other kanji but kept the syllable to signify their association, but I really can't remember which part of the story that'd be in to double check.

It's briefly mentioned in ch 7 of this arc. But basically there are 28 families that use number kanji from 1 to 10, based on the ten magic lab institutes. The 28 families are what make up the Ten Master Clans. 10 are actually chosen as the representative, and the rest are called the 18 Assistant Houses. As Shippou mentioned in ch 17, there will be a re-election for the 10 representative soon.

Then, there are families that uses number larger than 11 (from wiki, I'm not sure if the 11 is inclusive), and they are called the Hundred Families. (This doesn't mean there are 100 families or that they only use number up to 100 as seen with Chiba. It was a wordplay: the tenth place are followed by the hundredth place, meaning they are the next in power after the Ten Master Clans.)

And those are the Numbers family system.

There are some families that were stripped from their numbers, due to treason or incompetence, referred as Extra. They keep the syllable reading of their names, but the number kanji is dropped or replaced. One example is Ichihara 市原 Suzune, the previous Treasurer of Student Council (iirc they talked about it in the anime s1 too). Her family was originally Ichihana 一花.

In Tatsuya's generation, there aren't that many kids who know this info. But Saegusa Mayumi, being part of the Ten Families, kinda suspected that Shiba was an Extra from Yotsuba.

Users who are viewing this thread